1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stop The SLAVE TRADE threads (Maybe Update the BST StickY?)

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by sundaybrew, Jul 21, 2009.

Hi,

Can We Stop The SLAVE TRADE threads?

For Example:

Threads like this:

Looking to hire people - $1.25 ish an hour
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1419045

Come On!!

That's just as bad as the "blah blah blah do this for 10 cents via paypal" that was banned .

I feel threads like that just set a negative tone for the whole entire BST.

I could be 100% wrong as well ............

sundaybrew, Jul 21, 2009 IP
    Digital_shubhi likes this.
  2. Sapphiro

Sapphiro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well who knows, USD1.25 might worth alot to countries with smaller currencies. :)

Sapphiro, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  3. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Like which country ?
    I don't find $1.25 really important ! :rolleyes:

- Digital -

Digital_shubhi, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  4. Idler

Idler Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't either to be honest, especially with the tax that PayPal takes off.

Idler, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  5. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    This is a willing buyer willing seller market. Let the Invisible Hand handle it.

wisdomtool, Jul 21, 2009 IP
    Digital_shubhi likes this.
  6. HJITechnologiesLLC

HJITechnologiesLLC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $1.25 in Pakistani Currency, which is called 'Rupees' is about 100+ Rupees I believe. That's ALOT of money for a person who is poor in Pakistan. 100 Rupees would be like a day in heaven for a person is Pakistan.

HJITechnologiesLLC, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  7. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If $1.25 is a lot of money for someone in Pakistan to earn in a day, how in the hell do they afford a computer to do the work?

digitalpoint, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  8. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Lol... well said... :D

If they are poor they can't afford a PC and Internet connection to work... :rolleyes:
    And if someone is rich then $1.25 values nothing for him/her ! :cool:

- Digital -

Digital_shubhi, Jul 21, 2009 IP
    sundaybrew and wisdomtool like this.
  9. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I guess they can work in their offices during their spare times or when their bosses aren't looking :)

wisdomtool, Jul 21, 2009 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  10. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you feel they're cheapening the BST area, report the threads. They belong in Freebies when the advertised rates are $5 or under - that isolates them so you don't have to see them all over the place.

jhmattern, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  11. buffalo

buffalo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And that thread is offering $1.25/hour, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week! :eek: That's $50 a week!!!

I'm gonna quit my day job now! :p

buffalo, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  12. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    That's a good question!

OH WAIT - You just answered our question :)

I wasn't aware it was a whole full time gig at $50 a week.:eek:

That's just enough for a RENT-A-CENTER computer each week>:)

http://www6.rentacenter.com/Rent/Computers/Laptops/Sony-VGNNS325JLC.html

LOL -

You might have no money for food left but youll have a shiny LCD :D

13. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately some buyers mis-read the concept of a "free" market.

jhmattern, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  14. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    LOL - I think you're right on that :D

15. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Places, like Africa and other 3rd world country make less then this in a day doing hard labor.

$5 a day
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/06/sulfur_mining_in_kawah_ijen.html

Less then $1 a day.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/country_profiles/3850393.stm

80 pence a day
    http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal...ne-quarrying-for-british-patios_10010238.html

1,800 Rs per month (or 60 Rupees per day, equiv to 1.2 Euro per day) for laborer
    http://www.neoncarrot.co.uk/h_aboutindia/india_economy_stats.html#wages

$1.81
    http://www.yelingyang.com/china/news/average-wage-of-chinas-workers-in-2007.php

13 yuan an hour ($1.90) for a computer programmer.
    http://www.worldsalaries.org/china.shtml

There is lots and lots of examples where $1-$3 is the average pay around the world.

The internet is a global economy. Those posting the work want to pay a fair wage for the work being done using the global wages. Yes, those in a "major" country starts to complain because the cost of living is so much more then in the other country's in the world and it looks like slave wage to them.

This is yearly pay chart for call center work.
    http://www.swivel.com/data_columns/spreadsheet/7017026

You can see that the wage in india vs uk is very different.

Yes, those posting those types of threads run into risks to. Those posting that amount of pay for work run the risk of getting people that will do shabby work for them. Those getting hired run the risk of not getting paid. Sitting in front of a computer all day long to get that money vs working hard labor outside is a plus.

I have friends that often out source there local paid work to India workers that they employee full time for $150-$250 a month. Not even having to pay health care or take out tax's for the workers. The India workers also working a full 40 hour work week for them. 173 hours a month that averages to $0.86-$1.44 an hour.

They turn around and sell the work for $1500-$2000 to local business's.

Big company's out source to call centers all the time paying $3-$4 per an hour to workers vs paying upwards to $11-$13 an hour for local works. Yes, customers complain big time about the accents, but in the end unless the customers jump ship completely it will continue cause it saves millions and possibly over time billions. When you have to employee +4000 plus employees for customer support that most of the time the support can be done by a script it is worth it.

If you don't like the pay just pass by the thread or move to a country where you can live off $300 a month. Then you will see that getting $1000+ a month will let you live like a king there.

My friends tells me their employees tell them that the $250 a month pay for a 1 room apt, small car, and buys them food through the day. For $500 a month their workers could support a family of two.

Since you live in a place that the cost of living is high, these amounts looks like penny's on the ground that you would pass up, but those in the other country's they look like a decent wage for a full days work.

Outside hot weather labor vs sitting inside (internet cafe) all day long being on the computer doing routine tasks (sometimes not so much). Which would you choose to do for the same amount of pay?

Another example is this: The place I work here in the states moves India workers to the US to work for minimum wage. They built apartments in the north side of town to house all the workers. I don't know for sure, but it is around 4000 workers they do this with. I talk with them everyday and I have often ask them what they are getting paid and how I though they were getting a raw deal, but they turned and told me that they would have done it for even less. It was a great deal for them.

Just down the street from where I live is the hot spot where illegal (mexican) day laborer gather to get $10-$20 per a day. Lots of construction, farm, and house builders hire them under the table.

The user base of digitalpoint is becoming more India, Africa, China, and other low wage country base and I expect to see a lot more posting of this type.

On another topic, just the other day I seen where a user got banned because they were hiring India workers to create users accounts on digitalpoint and having them repost high paying keyword articles. The users accounts were using the same adsense pub-id. Earning the person $2k-$4k a month and paying the 7 India workers just under $5 a day to do the work. I would provide the link where they were selling the service on digitalpoint explaining how they did it, but I can't find it right now. They would post around +300 articles a day and with digitalpoint posts getting indexed very high in google serps it was a gold mine for them. (I don't this and would never do this) Just using it as an example of low pay for work done.

I am pretty sure they are off doing the same at another revenue sharing forum/place or just hiring them to post articles to a bunch of blogs.

exodus, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  16. buffalo

buffalo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Another excellent reason for ending the revenue sharing program here. I'm glad we won't be having those problems anymore. :rolleyes:

buffalo, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  17. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    That may be true, BUT I doubt there is anywhere in the world you can LIVE & Survive with the following for $1.25 a day

Just for shits and giggles let me break this down:

• You need a PC and something decent since the ad said uploading etc
    • You need power for that PC. Electric is not so cheap
    • You need Food
    • You Need Water
    • You need Shelter
    • You need an INTERNET connection
    So I mean for a $1.25 a day can you really have all that ?

And then off course you need the small things as well like soap etc .:)

JoyGoRound likes this.
  18. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    $1.25 per hour = $10 a day or around $200 a month.

That is like Rs 10000 a month.

Even in India, for someone who just has a science degree and is having problems finding a job, Rs 10000 is not bad for a starting salary.

sachin410, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  19. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, your right about that. You can't live off a $1.25 a day. Myself get $11 an hour. I just barely mange to pay the bills here in the United States.

Just to see what it would cost in India. (after a bunch of google research)

Just an Internet Cafe could cost up to 10 rupees an hour.. $1.68 a day (8 hour day), that comes with the pc, internet connection, electricity, and some form of shelter while you there. (some are open 24 hours a day)

Then again that post you linked to showed $1 an hour 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. $8 a day, $40 a week. $173 a month. 8350.7 rupees a month. Doing a lot of googling, it said 20k for a couple, and 12k rupee is ok for a single person without a car.

I don't personally live there so I have to do my research online to compare. It would be great if a native would post if 8300 rupees a month is decent or should it be 16000 rupees a month ($2 an hour). Or even more then that?

What is the cost of living in India?
    In the global economy would $1-$3 a day be a slave wage?

Side note: If I convert what I make it's 81785 rupees a month. 3775 a day. (minus US tax's). In the United States my living standard is upper lower class standard of living (2 bdr apt, 1 baby, 1 cheap car, and etc.) with almost nothing left over but 30 bucks each paycheck, but in India it would be Upper Middle class or Lower High Class?

exodus, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  20. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    @exodus

Thanks for all the math and if anything, I sure did learn a lot from this thread. :D

BUT DAM.....$1.25 A DAY:eek: