1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google complaints

Discussion in 'Websites' started by downloads_be, Apr 22, 2005.

I've always been pleased by what Google has been doing but I'm getting very angry with them at the moment

There are lots of reasons:

1) Visitors from our website which come through Google come through thousands of different keywords. Our website has a decent PR, already exists since 2001 and we've always keeped SEO'ing very limited.
    What we're seeing now (since googles last update?) is that we lost already 60% of our traffic (and it's still going down every day) because we don't rank high anymore for keywords where there is hardly any competition at all

2) Google penalties and duplicate content
    Google sees duplicate content where there is none. Domains who have a wildcard in their dns records (zlekjrzlejr.domain.com is the same as www.domain.com when you use relative links) may trigger a google penalty for duplicate content.
    There's a thread about it on webmasterworld at the moment

3) Some new algorithms
    According to google the reputation of your server host is important. I know a few people who bought their own dedicated server lately and they've al lost independently 10 -> 80!% of their traffic coming from google.
    I though getting a dedicated server is a step forward but apparantly you'll have to start from zero ...

4) Search results
    Google's search results have never been so bad as they are now. When I enter a keyword there's a big chance I see a result like www.somesearchengine.com/keyword ....
    If I needed to do some research about something I just entered the term and Google gave me all I need. Nowadays that's something completely different.

5) Google Adsense
    What's wrong with Adsense lately. A lot of webmasters have seen a drop in earnings per click since a few weeks

I want back to the good old days where SEO'ing wasn't a hype yet, where Google was showing good results, with higher adsense payouts :(

downloads_be, Apr 22, 2005 IP
  2. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    Do you pay Google for the visitors they do send you, in fact do you even thank Google for those visitors.

dct, Apr 22, 2005 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    The answer to your Adsense question is here

fryman, Apr 22, 2005 IP
  4. nullbit

nullbit Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have any reference on that point? I'm interested since my host has a bad reputation for hosting spammers.

nullbit, Apr 22, 2005 IP
  5. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Good link fryman...I must say I like that Avatar better :)

AfterHim.com, Apr 22, 2005 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    And what is that all about? I doubt that is true. The only thing affecting it is IPs and IBL IPs. Also whether they experienced downtime because of the move. General server performance (not reputation) could affect it as well. If the bot drops by and the server keeps being down it's not a quality resource.

T0PS3O, Apr 22, 2005 IP
  7. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're offline when the bot comes around, I think you can expect your SERP's to take a bit of a hammering. Even more so if you're offline a few visits in a row.

jlawrence, Apr 22, 2005 IP
  8. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    I would say a 3 day outage is why my one site only went from a 3 to a 4. :(

I expected a 6, but maybe I'm greedy! However, my less active site got a 5 from one url pointed at it and a 4 from the other. Go figure!

noppid, Apr 22, 2005 IP
  9. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I've seen pretty much the opposite on all counts. Odd.

Mia, Apr 22, 2005 IP
  10. Nicky21

Nicky21 Guest

Best Answers:
    So, basically, are you telling me that if i translate some of my pages from english to french, but keep the same relative linking structure on that page, google will penalize me?

Nicky21, Apr 22, 2005 IP
  11. reloadded

reloadded Peon

Best Answers:
    google not even banning some one check this
    forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=14249&page=1&pp=10
    i cant post live links so add http://

reloadded, Apr 22, 2005 IP
  12. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I, too, am intersted in your source for this as my host has a bad reputation as well.

Homer, Apr 22, 2005 IP
  13. Nicky21

Nicky21 Guest

Best Answers:
    RELOADED: Totally different!

Let me explain:
    If i trigger a duplicate filter i will get banned automatically by a damn algorythm.

If someone tryies to contact google with their problems chanses are the Google won't EVER respond to them. They are notoroius for that!

I'm more afraid of tripping some filter than someone reporting me....

Nicky21, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  14. downloads_be

downloads_be Peon

Best Answers:

This is a quote from this article: http://www.socengine.com/seo/guide/google-historical-data-patent.html

downloads_be, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  15. weblaunch

weblaunch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google reports only about 5-10% of inbound links to my sites, and it takes them forever to register these links. MSN and Yahoo, OTOH, report almost all links to my sites and update every few days. Too bad MSN is not nearly as popular as Google.

weblaunch, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  16. Tripodero

Tripodero Guest

Best Answers:
    As long as we're complaining about google, you might want to look at this-
    How my websites appear in google.

ÿþ < HTML > < HEAD > < TITLE > APALON CO . , LTD . - Homepage ...
    nbsp Apalon Co . , Ltd . is proud to present & nbsp < I > William T . Cox ' s < BR > < / I > < U > Fearsome Creatures of the Lumberwoods , With a Few Desert ...
    lenwoodva.tripod.com/ - 39k - Cached - Similar pages

ÿþ< HTML > < HEAD > < script type = " text / javascript ... - [ Translate this page ]
    Cox ' s " Fearsome Creature of the Lumberwoods " - With a Few Desert and ... Sudworth , George Sudworth , Apalon Co . , Ltd . , Apalon " > < META NAME ...
    www.angelfire.com/planet/apalon/thelumberwoods/thelumberwoods.htm - 15k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

It's actually reading the HTML! Is there anyway I can fix this?

Tripodero, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  17. old_expat

old_expat Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I remember reading that Google only shows PR4+ links in their backlinks.

I have one site (6 years old and sort of a semi-authority >> links from wikipedia and a number of unis) that has 3,000 links + mentions, but Google only shows 80 or so.

It happens to be an 8-letter hyphenated URL with about 120 pages. A few weeks ago it started losing traffic like crazy. I checked and found Google showed only 2 pages indexed.:(

old_expat, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  18. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    That used to be the case, but it isn't any longer. What they show now is just random.

dcristo, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  19. stuartgregory

stuartgregory Peon

Best Answers:
    how can you tell if your host has a bad reputation, i have just got a reseller account for my site http://www.webreger.com does that mean that my sever i am now on is the host?
    thanks

stuart

stuartgregory, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  20. stuartgregory

stuartgregory Peon

Best Answers:
    hi

i have just created my new site <a href=http://www.southportdirectory.com>www.southportdirectory.com</a> and listed it with google, i created an addwords account and my website was on page 2 with 5 hours. not bad i thought. but if i pause my adwords account with a few hours i am no longer listed in googles search at all.

i have built my site xhtml transitional and it validates, if i do a meta tag analyzer it passes 100% in all category's page content relavency extra.

but unless i pay adwords i disapear from a google search, i carnt aford to do this as its a free website for local businesses in southport.

stuartgregory, Jan 14, 2008 IP