1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get listed in DMOZ, the easy way. 2 days.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gworld, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I personaly don't care about DMOZ listing but if you like to have a listing in DMOz and you think it is beneficial for you, this is how you can do it in less than couple of days.

1-There are free programs that can download, all the listings in DMOZ category, download it and run it through other free programs that check for availiablity of a domain name. When you find one, go and register it. You can find these programs through search on Google.

2-You can also put a posting in domain seller web sites, that you are looking for DMOZ listed domains, so people can contact you.

DMOZ is full of dead domains, so both method should work fine.

3-Make 1 page with 2 frames, the height of top frame should be 1 pixel, so it can not be seen, then in bottom frame open your own web site. You should optimize this page for your own key words also.

4-Install this page as index page for the DMOZ listed domains that you have bought.

That's all folks, your contant is shown in DMOZ directory listing.

How easy is this to do? I started yesterday and I already have 4 DMOZ listed web sites, 2 in shopping, 1 finance, 1 art. The cost? less than $200.

FAQ

Have you tested this?

Yes, I bought 4 domains yesterday, made the domains, installed the pages on my server and changed the name server to point to my server. So today I am the owner of 4 DMOZ listed web site.

How is this useful for my web site?

I understand that you already have a web site but what you should think about is that being listed in DMOZ has no value, except giving you links and therefore possibly traffic through Google. So the important thing is to get high ranking in search engine and traffic.

You get this for the new domain that you buy but you are showing the content from your original web site in the new domain. This way you are generating the same amount of traffic or even more than if your original domain was listed in DMOZ.

Is this redirect?

NO, the domain is hosted, your original site contant is shown in frame.

Is this duplicate site?

NO, you are not copying the same content in both domains, you are just showing the content of your original domain.

What happens if the domain links in DMOZ links to internal page and not to the index page?

Make a custom 404 page that redirects all not found page to the index page of domain.

Who are you and why are you doing this?

I am a long term poster in another forum with a same user name. I have fighting the corrupt DMOZ editors for a long time and hoping to correct the situation in another forum, so there is a possibility of discussion the DMOZ question but it has been very difficult since the editor are also "moderators" there. Finally I am giving up and I am starting to post in other forums.

code for index.html look like this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
    <html>
    <head>
    <base="mainFrame">
    <title>DMOZLISTEDDOMAIN.com</title>
    <meta name="TITLE" content="This is title of my site.">
    <meta name="DESCRIPTION" content="blah-blah-blah this is my site">
    <meta name="KEYWORDS" content="blah1, blah2, blah3,some other blah ">
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">
    </head>

<frameset rows="1,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0">
    <frame src=" " name="topFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize title="topFrame" >
    <frame src="https://www.my-own-domain-that-is-not-DMOZ-listed.com " name="mainFrame" title="mainFrame">
    </frameset>
    <noframes><body>
    Your browser does not support frames, plus all other blah-blah-blah that is good contant for search engine optimization.
    <a href=" https://www.my-own-domain-that-is-not-DMOZ-listed.com" target="_self">Without Frame site</a>
    </body></noframes>
    </html>

Enjoy ! :D

gworld, Apr 21, 2005 IP
    GRIM likes this.
  2. flak

flak GoogleMonkey

Best Answers:
    Any clues as to what tools you use?

flak, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There are many tools and sites for expired DMOZ listing, do a search in Google. I am not selling any of those programs and do not like to recommend any, since I can like a program while you can hate it.

In my case, I did not want to waste time on search, so I simply put a wanted ad on one of the sites that sells domains and bought 4 domains (3 for $50/each and 1 for $40).

if you are considering buying a domain, you can check it with link below, so it still exists in the category. Some times you can get a wrong search result and search show a domain name but it doesn't exist in category (just another problem with DMOZ)

You can find the domain that you are considering with this url:

http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=DMOZ-Listed-domain.com

gworld, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  4. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wouldn't Google know that the WhoIs has changed to a new owner and reset all the benefits accruing from a DMOZ listing? (NOTE: This is a genuine query and not a flame - sometimes it is tough to tell the difference)

Ajeet

Ajeet, Apr 21, 2005 IP
    iskandar likes this.
  5. Stin

Stin Guest

Best Answers:
    Very interesting, wonder how long u could run that game?

Stin, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  6. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    From my, though limited, experience, Google is smart enough to reset the toolbar pagerank and put the site to sandbox. But once the ownership transfers, content is put up, and the links from DMOZ and its clones persist, you get it back, if that's what you had on mind.

Otherwise, links are the benefit, and I can't see how google could reset the links - they are still there. DMOZ editors can possibly delete your site if, say, topic or quality changes, but the question here is why didn't they do it previously when the site was dead and there was no content, and the chance of such an accident is pretty low.

subseo, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  7. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    Btw. this thread has wrong title. Correct one is "how to get a site that's listed in DMOZ" or "how to get 70-200 backlinks cheaply".

Because if you want to get listed in DMOZ, you don't want that just for the sake of having something listed, but to have one SPECIFIC web listed. So if you acquire some random personal blog site that is listed as "Joe Blog's Blog", that one is not gonna be of very big help for your "San Diego Realtor" web.

Otherwise good stuff and advice of course.... (I got two DMOZ websites in the past without even trying too much, too bad I don't have much time to do something useful with them).

subseo, Apr 21, 2005 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  8. flak

flak GoogleMonkey

Best Answers:
    I still havent found any decent tools for this job. Can anyone suggest any?

flak, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  9. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google have gone on record as saying that they zero rate expired domains, so realistically you will be starting afresh, but will get the benefit from the various backlinks from sites using dmozdata.

Old Welsh Guy, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  10. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    OWG: you benefit by not having to wait indefinitely for your site to be listed in DMOZ.

jlawrence, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

ArticleFactory is correct in his answer, no search engine can start change the way it sees a web site because of owner change since this is a normal business transaction and got nothing to do with actual web site.

Google any way does not refresh it's data from DMOZ more than 2-3/year.

Stin wrote:

"Very interesting, wonder how long u could run that game?"

I suppose for ever or as long as you care (Until Google drops DMOZ). What are the editors in DMOZ going to do? :confused:
    become actually effective and start editing the sites, fat chance of that. :D

ArticleFactory,

You are right that may be I should have chosen a better title for my posting but I really see no difference between having your own web site listed or buy one that is listed.
    There is no use of being in DMOZ, except the backlinks and effect that it has on Google. I quote one of DMOZ editors reply in the other forum:

"Search is not updated as frequently as the database.
    Search is very poor at finding specific URL's (its not a search engine) "

even go to DMOZ and try search and 70% of time it returns the answer that there is a problem and search was not possible.
    By buying a domain, you will get the full benefit of being listed in DMOZ, the same as your own was listed.

old welch Guy, to avoid the zero rate, if that is importnat for some one and not only the links, the solution is to buy a domain off some one who has a domain listed in DMOZ.

The domains that I bought were not expired and still had an old content and Google rating, the price is not high, in average $40-$100.

gworld, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  12. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    We are in top 10 in Google now.

Some one asked me to find him a DMOZ listing, so I used Google to search for expired dmoz listing and this thread is showing as number 4 & 5 in search result. :)

I thought Ok, this is too specific search and I searched for DMOZ listing and this thread comes up as 4th result. :)

One thing is for sure, Google is really fast in indexing this forum. :D

gworld, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  13. onestop

onestop Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what a smart advice :) please stay away from this kind of tricks.

onestop, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  14. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    I ran a quick scan, and found a couple of domain names that are in "REDEMPTIONPERIOD" or "PENDINGDELETE" state. so for $5 you can buy your dmoz listing. only thing is you end up with a weird name like 1033ambulance.com ....

frankm, May 8, 2005 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't like this, you can redirect the domian that you bought to your own web site.
    It doesn't change the fact that you get a listing in DMOZ in short time instead of waiting forever.

gworld, May 8, 2005 IP
  16. dirtdog1960theone

dirtdog1960theone Active Member

Best Answers:
    :) I guess this would be possible for any directory? Too hard for a search engine I would suppose...

dirtdog1960theone, May 9, 2005 IP
  17. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    This is an interesting idea. I think it would be hard to find a dead domain in the specific category you want, but a cool idea nonetheless. It's really sad that it even works. A lot of the dead sites I see in DMOZ are just lacking a DNS entry, but the domain has been registered for several more years. Finding a dead domain would be quite nice though. =)

Thanks!!

nddb, May 9, 2005 IP
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    nddb, read my previous post in this thread. It does not matter at all which category you find your domain in since as search tool DMOZ is worthless and doesn't generate any traffic. The only importnat thing is the number of back links and the importance of it for google, and you will get it those anyway, independent of what domian you have bought. :)

gworld, May 9, 2005 IP
  19. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    say I find a dead one, then what do I do? a redirect? or just point it right to my site? (I got mostly relative links, so it shouldn't matter).

nddb, May 9, 2005 IP
  20. jfilley

jfilley Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems that this scenerio does not equal having your domain listed in dmoz. It is more like having someones site who is listed on dmoz, linking to your site. I don't think you get as many brownie points for that.

jfilley, Jun 2, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.