1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Invalid or unsupported form of compression?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Stu--, Jun 23, 2009.

When loading this page:

http://www.experiencefestival.com/forum/Video-Collection/ken+wilber/Page_1

I get this error:

Cannot Complete Request
    The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

In Firefox 3.0.11.

If you change the url to page 2 and go back to page 1 it loads ok. Then if you clear your cache it stops working again.

Has anyone seen this before? Or know what could be causing it? Apparently the Bloomberg site did it a lot, and some people say it's a Firefox issue, but I know it affects other browsers.

Stu--, Jun 23, 2009 IP
  2. Stu--

Stu-- Active Member

Best Answers:
    In case anyone gets this problem in future, the solution was strange.

It turns out that Windows text files are saved with Carriage Return Line Feeds, which are different to standard Line Feeds. (Macs use CR, Window CRLF and Unix LF) I had my line endings as CRLFs which is what was causing the problem.

Using Notepad2 I changed the line endings to LF and it seems to be ok now.

Another thing that seemed to cause the same problem was echo statements, although I couldn't pinpoint why they were causing it.

If not this, then check your GZIP settings for your site.

Hopefully someone will find this useful in the future.

Stu--, Jun 26, 2009 IP