1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Scam - "TLG*GREATFN" transactions on Credit Card statement

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by maverick, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Be aware friends: If you see TLG*GREATFN********FEB 800-285-5903 US
    or similar, then your credit card is misused by this company.

I am charged $8.99 on my credit card and that also for 3 months in a row. How ignorant I am!! 1st transaction, I did not notice, 2nd transaction I thought I might have done that!! 3rd transaction, no way, I did not pull out my Credit Card even from my pocket. This is a scam and I have complained to my Credit Card company. They are replacing my Credit card now and lodged dispute for these three transactions.

I searched for "GREATFN" on google, and I found few webpages where I found many people were victims of this scam. I have bought something on BUY.COM in december too, and then I was taken to a rebate page where I entered just my email information (No Credit Card information was entered here - actually I dont even remember that properly but one thing clicked in my mind is I remember seeing this greatfn name for some rebate of the same amount of purchase on buy.com). Does this mean, BUY.COM is cheating people OR having connections with wrong people.

What the hell is going on!!! Check your credit card statements, and see if you find "TLG*GREATFN".

maverick, Apr 13, 2005 IP
    wendydettmer likes this.
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Whenever you are entering your credit card information on a website check that the browser's address bar shows the url starting with https://

If it just shows http:// run away

fryman, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  3. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Probably just having connections with the wrong people.. I wish everybody would post a message like this when they're scammed.. In the past, I was too lazy and trusting to bother examining my statements, and I was scammed for a year. Imagine? :p I've learned my lesson... It happens to me the web hosting companies as well. Before owning my own server, I had my sites hosted by various companies.. Probably 4 altogether. Two of them continued to charge me after I cancelled.. Both of them had something in their terms that didn't allow me to get my money back either...

Sal Collaziano, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  4. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe BUY.COM is https site, and I am sure that this charge is from the company greatfn which offers rebate on any purchase on buy.com. I am not sure if they offer it now, but in the month of december, they did. Thats a fake company, and I am surprized how come company like BUY.COM can be affiliated with such fake company.

maverick, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  5. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    Not only this, but you also need to check the certificate as well - a spoofed website may be using certificates issued for a similar-looking domain name.

J.D.

J.D., Apr 13, 2005 IP
  6. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    stephfoster, Apr 13, 2005 IP
    wendydettmer likes this.
  7. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, it could be a scam. Or it might be something you've forgotten about.

Expect to see lots and lots of fake transactions in the next few years. I don't have a link because I can't recall where I read about it but there is some huuuuuuuuge company in the US that is a database holding tons of personal and financial details on millions of people. This database is used by all of the financial services across the world to verify data on people who are buying stuff using a credit card or some other form of credit.

Anyway, what happened was, and you'll like this part; the company sold the records of thousands and thousands of people to an organised crime ring, or something to that effect.

The fraudsters built up a history with the data-company using bogus front-companies until the bogus front-companies were considered 'trusted', then they simply bought all of the financial data on thousands of people from the data-company. It only came to light when people started finding fake transactions on their credit cards and will no doubt go on for a long time to come.

mcfox, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  8. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    I hope to get the chargeback from my credit card company ASAP!! :(

maverick, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  9. Keera

Keera Peon

Best Answers:
    I have never been scammed before now. The company that was mentioned got me as well. 'TLG*GREATFN', they were billing me for 8.99 a month even though I have received nothing for the charges and I never signed up for anything.:mad: I was billed that for 5 months and I just caught it because of some problems I'd been having.:eek: :( When I first saw it I thought it was for something my fiance might have signed up for. Turns out it isn't and in fact I just called my credit card company, Capital One, who I thought was a safe company, but they're crediting me the 5 months of charges and gave me no hassle at all. They are also replacing my card so I don't start being charged again. The fact that it went on for so long is my fault for not looking closely enough at my statements, but I had a false sense of security. Please check your statements so this doesn't happen to you. Oh yea, the credit card company ALSO told me they have to call that 'company' a lot. She said that it's a real company but that they are constantly having to dispute charges for it. So either it's a real company who is falsely charging people for merchandise they're not only never receiving but most of the time never signing up for, or they have the credit card company fooled. :confused:

Keera, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  10. dealmonkey

dealmonkey Peon

Best Answers:
    Great Fun is the advertisement that popsup after you place an order with Buy.com. They offer you a free month of service that includes coupons and stuff. Its a pretty good deal considering they also give you $25 back on your Buy.com purchase.

What you have to remember is CANCEL YOUR GREAT FUN MEMBERSHIP! Obviously you probably saw the $$ Rebate offer and didnt read the fine print. Its people like you that give companys a bad rap for nothing. Buy.com has always been good to me, especially the fact I get my orders in 1-2 days. Great Fun is VERY easy to cancel, but you have to do it within the time frame your membership is free. Ive done this at least (2) times with Buy.com. First time I recevived $25 off my purchase, second time it was $20.

dealmonkey, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  11. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    That seems to clarify things a bit. :)

mcfox, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  12. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I've seen where you can do a trail membership with Great Fun as one of the "offers" to recieve a free ipod. I forgot to cancel my TLG*COMPLETHME membership on my paypal account for three months. I got charged $8.99 and don't even know what Complete Home is about?! ha, and I never even got the free ipod...:rolleyes:

MattEvers, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  13. Justinman

Justinman Guest

Best Answers:
    My credit card said TLG Great Fun 877-709-0966 for $9.99 for two months before I called up the number. They said I agreed to be charge from a "pop up on Fandango"? What the hell? He said I may not even have known about it. If i have ever heard of a scam it is that you sign up to pay for something "that you don't even know about". I NEVER saw a pop up and NEVER recall consenting to it. The confirmation of charge was probably linked to a "CANCEL" box or something of that nature. THIS IS A SCAM.

Justinman, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  14. mrphs

mrphs Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm charged too:
    01/17/2006 DIRECTDEBIT/VISA-TLG*GREATFN4675173800-285-5903 CT $9.99;
    12/14/2005 DIRECTDEBIT/VISA-TLG*GREATFN4675173800-285-5903 CT $9.99;
    THIS IS A SCAM.
    I send order on BUY.COM in novenberr too :mad:

mrphs, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  15. Krispipop

Krispipop Peon

Best Answers:
    I too have fallen victim to this scam. When I discovered the charge today, I called my credit card company and they gave me the 800 number to reach Great Fun. They were very friendly, happy to tell me what "I had signed up for" via HOTWIRE.com, and offered to credit my card for the charges.

Just wanted to pass along that this is also happening on other sites!! I am not holding my breath until they return the $9.99 they charged to my card!!

Krispipop, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  16. pjtharris

pjtharris Peon

Best Answers:
    I contacted this company two weesks ago to find out what the charges were for.They told me that when I bought my airline tickets from cheaptickets.com I was signed up for a $10.00 discount on my ticket.I never signed up or registered for any company.They are now saying that I have to write to them and request a credit for the $40.00 they charged me.They admitted to me on the phone that they made a mistake but it's my responsibility to fix it.They even said that there is no guarantee i'll get my money refunded. How is this not a SCAM? Keep in mind that they also never sent out any coupon package to me which is what I supposedely signed up for.

pjtharris, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  17. Traviscs

Traviscs Peon

Best Answers:
    :mad: I have never bought anything from BUY.COM... but somehow I have been charged twice from TLG*GREATFN... Once on 3-12 for 8.99 and on 4-11 for 9.99.. Is it going to keep going up? wtf I better get a refund! SCAMMERS!!!

Traviscs, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  18. quan_daniel

quan_daniel Peon

Best Answers:
    http://www.connecticut.bbb.org/commonreport.html?compid=41001179

quan_daniel, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  19. loony79

loony79 Guest

Best Answers:
    I also have been victimized by this scam. I checked my bank account and found an unfamiliar charge of $9.99 posted on April 20. Then I looked at my history and found out they have been charging for the past 4 months!! I can't believe I have not looked that up before. I thought it was some service I probably signed up to manage my web sites. However, I canceled my web site accounts last month so it was impossible that I would be charged for them again. As it turned out, it was some "discount" company that is supposed to be sending benefits and coupons. I have not received anything from them nor do I remember signing up for the service.

I tried numerous phone numbers to contact them. Half of which hung up on me due to many callers. Finally I got through and they claimed I did not have an account with them. So I asked them how can they be deducting $9.99 from my credit card with out me having a membership with them? I went on the web site to e-mail customer service so they gave me another phone number to call. Finally I called again to cancel and I found out they got my credit card information from Fandango.com back in November. I would remember if I signed up to have $9.99 taken off my account every month. I blew off on the poor lady who was just trying to do her job but I had to let them know what they are doing to the consumers. She told me there have been numerous complaints about that same thing. She could not say anything else except trying to convince me that I should use all the benefits that Great Fun offers. I laughed at her and told her I have not even received anything from them for the past few months so how can I even benefit from them? I finally told them how unethical it is to take credit card information from websites without the consumer’s authorization. So, finally I cancelled my account and demanded a refund. Unfortunately only $9.99 will be credited back in 2 weeks. In order to get the full refund from 3 more months, I have to go through more trouble and fax a complaint to member services.

Bottom line, just keep calling them until a representative picks up. Use this phone number 1-800-214-6422 and select 5 to speak to someone.

Another thing you should do is contact the company that you may have purchased from online and let them know about what Great Fun has done. I sent an e-mail to Fandango.com telling them that scams like these hinder the consumer’s faith to purchase through their web sites. I hope there is a way to stop this from happening again but try to warn all your friends about that when purchasing tickets or reservations online.

Sorry this was so long but I had to put my foot down on this. I mean who doesn’t hate getting ripped off? I just got 100 stolen from my PayPal account as well as having my apartment robbed. So you can imagine even a measly a cent stolen from me would get me fumed enough.

loony79, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  20. MARKB17

MARKB17 Peon

Best Answers:
    I Also, have fallen victim to this scam I am now going through the initial stage of cancel and repair.

I have set up a blog with a document to help other victims to send to
    credit card companies.

www.myspace.com/marksocal

MARKB17, Apr 26, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.