1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.com with hyphen vs. .net no hyphen

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by toma, May 19, 2009.

From both brand building and SEO perspectives, if you had the choice between the following 2 options for a domain, which one would you choose:
    - keyword1-keyword2.com (hyphen + .com)
    - keyword1keyword2.net (no hyphen + .net)

What do you think?

toma, May 19, 2009 IP
  2. Zairi Zaidi

Zairi Zaidi Member

Best Answers:
    t hink, keyword1keyword2.net

if i want to choose a domain, my last choice is with hyphen

Zairi Zaidi, May 20, 2009 IP
  3. vipfactor

vipfactor Peon

Best Answers:
    I've heard that non-hyphenated domains position higher in SEs, but I would like to see some scientific case study about this.

vipfactor, May 20, 2009 IP
  4. Chuckun

Chuckun Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Precisely.

I would too like to see some proof of how my domain www.visitors-online.com could possibly be better as visitorsonline.com, because without the hyphen, there are keywords in that which are irrelevant (as I mentioned before; it could be seen as visitor son line)... I believe in this instance, a hyphen can be beneficial for SERPs / SEO

Chuckun, May 20, 2009 IP
  5. vipfactor

vipfactor Peon

Best Answers:
    I have few theories, but i'm no expert on this. I believe that google might run iterative dictionary check on your domain name and index all possible variations, or it could extract the site's topic and some keywords, and then do relevant keyword seperation in your domain name.

Try googling "kids exchange". First site is kidsexchange.com.
    Now, this could surely be interpreted in a wrong way. :D

6. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if i am developing the site i will reg both :p

chandan123, May 20, 2009 IP
  7. vipfactor

vipfactor Peon

Best Answers:
    Isn't there some google penalty for having multiple domains (seen as multiple sites) pointing towards the same content source?

8. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    u can redirect why u want to duplicate contents ?

chandan123, May 20, 2009 IP
    vipfactor likes this.
  9. vipfactor

vipfactor Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh... i understand now. Sorry.

I was reading something about having multiple domains pointing towards the same site, and google's penalties. But if you just do a 301 redirect, there is no penalty.

chandan123 likes this.
  10. KurtF

KurtF Peon

Best Answers:
    I recently bought some domains and I heavily researched this; this was the general consensus of the so called online experts. From a strictly SEO point of view the hyphen is slightly better: Manufacturing-Jobs.com will do better than ManufacturingJobs.com; however from a Branding point of view the no hyphens option is better: if your site is Manufacturing-Jobs.com and someone types in ManufacturingJobs.com then they will go to the site of someone else. However if SEO is important to you then you can have the best of both worlds by buying both domains and using the hyphen version for the actual site but then having the non-hyphen version point to the hyphen version; i.e. ManufacturingJobs.com points to Manufacturing-Jobs.com. This is my first post in this forum; please be kind.

KurtF, May 20, 2009 IP
  11. vipfactor

vipfactor Peon

Best Answers:
    Higher positioning of hyphenated domains seems to be very logical, but most of the domains i encounter on SE's first pages are non-hyphenated. But i believe that this is more due to psychological factors than SEO (people are more inclined to non-hyphenated domains).

But i believe that this >to hyphenate or not to hyphenate< dilemma is overestimated and it certainly doesn't have any major effect on search engine rankings. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Like we have mentioned above, it would be good if someone could do a controlled 'scientific' research about this (if it's possible, due to various factors involved). That article would surely get a lot of high-PR dofollow backlinks and exposition. ;)

12. funjoomla

funjoomla Banned

Best Answers:
    I choose keyword1keyword2.net

I buy all my domain with no hyphen :)

funjoomla, May 20, 2009 IP