1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

An annoying 1-2 mm "shift" that I want to get rid off, please help

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by tayiper, Aug 23, 2006.

You see, the thing is that since I am quite a "perfectionist" in web-coding related stuff, I am pretty annoyed by a "shifting to left" (IIRC only in Firefox though) in case of the row of graphics and "[ Jump to bottom ]" in "[ Return to top ]" in-page links on my intro.html page (stylesheet-file: root.css), compare to the old outdated variant: intro-sample.html page (stylesheet-file: style.css), that I've uploaded to my FTP just for this occassion ...

Well, the difference between the two is that in first case, as it is now (see the first example below), the "[ Jump to bottom ]" (and "[ Return to top ]") in-page links are always in the middle of the page (same as most of other elements), while previously they were always in the middle of the window/screen, i.e. even if you resized the window.

The first example case (as it is now):

<div class="eight"><div class="align" id="jump"><a href="" onclick="self.scrollTo(0, 12800); return false;">[ Jump to bottom ]</a></div></div>
    Code (markup):
    Previously I used the following code:

<div class="align" id="jump"><a href="" onclick="self.scrollTo(0, 12800); return false;">[ Jump to bottom ]</a></div>
    Code (markup):
    But the problem is that even if I change the code to the one that I previously used, the "shift" still remains. Of course I've experimented quite a lot with varous different things that could cause this "behaviour", i.e. I was trying to find what I've changed in the code during that time (from the old to current version of the page); so for instance, I've discovered that the difference between .css files where one has "body { margin-left: 4%; margin-right: 4%; }" (like somone suggested back then here on DP forum) compare to "body { margin: 8px; }" doesn't cause this.

Also, I was used to that usually (i.e. on the previous "states" of pages) changing the value of the class (it's the "div.seven1" one in this particular case) moved the row of banners to left/right, but currently (i.e. in current site "state") this is not the case.

So please, can anyone help me, i.e. how to solve this "shifting" problem ?!!

thanks, tayiper

/edited: fixed the links pointing to two sample-files

tayiper, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  2. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    maybe if you just ask a simple question like, "I want to align this on the left" I could follow you. But, all of the background and other information is just confusing at this point. Too much wine last night I guess.

chachi, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  3. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    /UPDATE: Sorry, I forgot to upload those two "sample" files, i.e. the old/outdated versions of this particular page ...

tayiper

tayiper, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  4. Gordaen

Gordaen Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm afraid I'm not exactly sure what you are asking either. It looks like you are using different fonts between the two pages which could be causing the shift (if I am following you at all).

Gordaen, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  5. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, it's that the "[ Jump to bottom ]" in "[ Return to top ]" in-page links are not in the middle of the screen anymore (or in the middle of that "row of graphics"), but they certainly used to be in older versions of the page.

Oh and yes, I do use a different font now, thanks for finding/pointing that out !!

tayiper

tayiper, Aug 23, 2006 IP