Linking to your site from your site?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by umpahpah, Apr 1, 2009.

I know that if you put link for one of your sites on your other sites it's recomended to have them all on separate IPs, but what if they are all on the same hosting/ip - does these links have NO value or they have at least some value for google?

umpahpah, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  2. atniz

atniz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have no idea about this.
    But, from reading other threads, it does not give any value if it is from same IP address.

atniz, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  3. umpahpah

umpahpah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I thought it must have at least some value, since you can be on a shared hosting and some other site (not yours) on that server could really link to you and it should be reasonable for google to consider that link

umpahpah, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  4. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @ atniz - why are you commenting on something that you don't know about?

@umpahpah - good, valid, point. You are correct sir.

OP - if you are ever in doubt, do your own targeted case study. Don't rely on the advice of others when you can do it yourself :). But yes, these links are highly valued. On one website I was ranking high for a competitive keyword and I was confused because I didn't target it. A few days later I looked in my footer and saw that I had linked back to my homepage on every page with that keyword- so this proves it.

zac439, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  5. SIAWebDesign

SIAWebDesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I've also read that they have no values in increasing your page rank. But I guess it wouldn't hurt. I have a couple of links from some of my sites to each other, but not to increase my page rank, just so that I have some more links to my sites.

If someone who knows for sure replies, I would be very interested in the response too.

SIAWebDesign, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  6. SIAWebDesign

SIAWebDesign Peon

Best Answers:
    zac439, there's a very good chance that you know more than me judging by your reputation on here. But I thought pointing from your own site to it's other pages is good, but not pointing from your site to another site on the same IP.

SIAWebDesign, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  7. umpahpah

Best Answers:
    yes, of course this is the best way, but also I guess this is something somebody may already tried testing, so why not save some time and ask more experienced user

umpahpah, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  8. MrPJH

MrPJH Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you atniz dot com is very helpful thanks for that

MrPJH, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  9. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    Matt Cutts of Google has stated in the past that a link from the same IP is treated the same as a link from a separate IP. If your other site is related then link between them. If they are on two totally separate subjects then you probably don't want to link them. I'd also avoid a site wide link. Instead, one or two links from very important and related pages will be enough.

freelistfool, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  10. walkingbird

walkingbird Member

Best Answers:
    The olny way this doesn't pass any value is if you set up hundreds of spam sites and link back to your main site. Having a site on the same server linking to your site will pass value. Internal pages on your own site pass value so why wouldn't a site that is hosted on the same server pass value. The penalty for links from sites on the same ip is targeted towards spammer running link farms. Not everday links.

walkingbird, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  11. umpahpah

Best Answers:
    yeah that last two make sense.

ok so if I link from multiple sites, I shouldn't overdo it and should not put links in footer, sidebar or something like that which is repeating through all the pages.
    Maybe that subject relevancy will be the problem, but hey, at least I know all the linking won't be for nothing

umpahpah, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  12. surfin4dough

surfin4dough Peon

Best Answers:
    It will help a little but but doing this too much will look suspicious and you will get lumped along with link farms. Just find other places to build your backlinks like do follow blogs, article directories, and social networking sites.

surfin4dough, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  13. ruchi49

ruchi49 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi
    I Have No Idea About It.

ruchi49, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  14. jasoncreja

jasoncreja Guest

Best Answers:
    hey its not like that .. if your backlink is coming from common ip then its not a problem .. but problem is that ..
    if you want to get listed in google.co.uk and site from where you are getting backlnks are in australia then most of the backlinks will come from australian ip.

And that will hurt your ranking in google.co.uk. . so if you are getting backlinks from same regions from where you are then it will not hurt you too much and will not affect your rankings..
    so.. try to get backlinks from the site hosted in your region.

jasoncreja, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  15. ravont

ravont Peon

Best Answers:
    They are usually used for navigation among your webpages. However, you should know that internal links can be good for Search Engine Optimization as well. Just think of internal links like backlinks from other websites that you have full control over. Although the ranking benefits or weightage from internal links are probably less than those from external links, I am very sure that they still do help. And since these links are in your own site, you can do whatever you want with them.

ravont, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  16. healthuk

healthuk Peon

Best Answers:
    Be careful though because I know about a web site that was penalized for doing the same thing. Their PR got down by one point and they suffered on Search Engine Positions as well.

healthuk, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  17. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do not be scared to include site-wide footer links. I do this on every single one of my websites. In fact, the one I told you about where I ranked for a competitive keyword with nothing else but a footer link was a site-wide.

Have you ever noticed that every WordPress installation (well, most) includes a site-wide footer link that goes to your homepage?

Seriously, if you are going to make accusations that site-wide links are bad for SEO back it up with proof. Otherwise this is a fallacy and a far from credible accusation.

zac439, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  18. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    from my experience, internal links are detected by Google and he counts them but they have no effect

omarabid, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  19. stephcren

stephcren Peon

Best Answers:
    i'm sure the effect is smaller than different ip's, but there MUST be some impact.

stephcren, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  20. umpahpah

Best Answers:
    are you sure about that? because there are many popular hosting companies with servers in US and many people from all over the world (including uk and australia) are hosting their sites on US servers, so I don't think IP location of the site has any impact since it shows only in what country is server located and that has nothing to do with site's relevancy

umpahpah, Apr 2, 2009 IP