1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

No PR on homepage - Jumping on and off in SERPs

Discussion in 'SEO' started by Kaptain Kangaroo, Aug 14, 2006.

howdy folks. my main site is acting a little strange today. actually it started very early this morning. added a few internal links on the home page on the 10 of august. google cache the page on 11 of august. cache just started showing yesterday afternoon. now there is no PR at all on home page and it is jumping off the front page in SERPs into nowhere then back again. i search for main keyword on google and if its showing on the front page, then i see title and description when i search for www.domain.com. if it's not on the home page and i search for www.domain.com, there is no title or description showing. what really worries me is not seeing the PR on the homepage. PR is showing constant and normal on all internal pages that i see so far. Oh, i have just remembered as i am writing this i also added <meta name=”robots” content=”noodp”> when i updated the page. Now that I look at that, something seems weird about those quotes ("). Google must not like that, I can only assume for the time being. I had copied the tag right off of a web page. regardless, i have changed the page back to pre-august-10 and am hoping for improvement. am i missing anything here?

Kaptain Kangaroo, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  2. Radovan_III

Radovan_III Peon

Best Answers:
    if it's new site as u said indexed on 10th august than that is perfectly normal. You just need to give it some time.

Radovan_III, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  3. Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo Peon

Best Answers:
    site is not new, around 5 years old. new cache of the page on the 11th. is there any way to get google to recache the page swiftly?

4. Alis

Alis Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually renewing the tags would need time to change in the chache time period you might be lucky by chaching after 1 day , so in suggestion i would rather tell you to wait with the new additions you have done.

Perhaps , the new addition done will be recognized soon , just wait and see what happens.

Alis, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  5. Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo Peon

Best Answers:
    that's what i'm hoping.

BTW i found this tool ( yourcache.com ) and am seeing 10 -1's:

216.239.57.98 -1
    216.239.57.105 -1
    66.102.7.105 -1
    216.239.57.106 -1
    216.239.53.106 -1
    216.239.37.105 -1
    216.239.37.147 -1
    216.239.39.106 -1
    216.239.37.106 -1
    216.239.59.105 -1

all of the rest dc's are still showing the correct amount of pages cached. just hope i caught her in time. this is our money site we're dealing with here.

6. Alis

Alis Peon

Best Answers:
    Well , if you whant to grow and get bigger you have to patient you know that better then me :)

I have new projects recently working on they are new sites but every im making new additions to the codes etc so i only tell my self : "Be patient , it will work"

Alis, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  7. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    just ignore the -1 - that means that DC didn't have any data - yourcache is an awesome tool. Run it everyday and it will keep track of your site over time.

Phynder, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  8. Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo Peon

Best Answers:
    great to hear encouraging words. i do get a bit antsy sometimes when stuff like this happens. could anyone explain if it was the meta tag that caused this or just some glitch. i've just never had this sort of problem come up before. whenever i updated the home page, it may have fluctuated +/- rank or two, but nothing like this. my only educated guess is the meta, otherwise i'm just plain lost here.

9. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    I clicked into this thread thinking the title sounded like a possible 302 redirect hijack. (Good advice on avoiding/solving the problem.)
    Try searching for the title of your page in quotes, and see if anything comes up. If you find pages with dynamic links to you, check the server headers.

But don't sweat this too much, your problem sounds like it has happened too quick to be 302 related.

NetMidWest, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  10. Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo Peon

Best Answers:
    first thing i checked for was the redirect. toolbar PR is showing now, but the site is still flickering on and off the front page. none of the internal pages are losing their positions, standing firm so far. several datacenters are still showing no cache, but it's looking better now. when the site does flicker back on, it is crawling up in rank. we'll see i guess.

Kaptain Kangaroo, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  11. kevinn

kevinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    maybe change your name to stop jumping =P

kevinn, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  12. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lcome in the club of G victims
    as written extensively in other threads in earlier weeks - there are many victims out there these weeks.

my own today's situation is:

Aug 16 - site:my site . com

Web Results 1 - 100 of about 155,000 from ... my site

clicking result page 10 (100 results per page ) - i.e. result 901-1000 - shows

Results 401 - 484 of about 155,000 from ... my site

clicking on the link:

In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 484 already displayed.
    If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included.

results in:

Results 601 - 634 of about 155,000 from ... my site

my site has actually a total of approx 3500 pages - all else is Google fantasy - or strategy ? to inflate a search index db to be bigger than competition ...

or just the result of the last Google db crash on June 27 2006 - after which date all this started and never seems to end.

Googlebot crawls this months 15710 times with zero real success to get all pages despite validated status OK sitemaps - mean while I have removed all sitemaps and will again request a total purge of all fake db data to restart all from scratch as I did with partial success 2 weeks ago. after that request for a week or so the fake results were down to some 25'000 pages. Now as of this moment they are back to the numbers before.

different data centers - different data by more than 120'000 - but all are wrong by at least ten thousands too many pages listed.

hans, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  13. Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo Peon

Best Answers:
    that was good :D

Kaptain Kangaroo, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  14. Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo Peon

Best Answers:
    guess i really should have posted this in the google forum since it is google specific....sorry! i somehow overlooked the obvious i guess. my google toolbar PR is showing on pages:

http:// www. website.com/index.html
    http:// website.com
    http:// website.com/index.html

i thought i took care of redirecting with .htaccess when i first started the website, but for some reason it's not working.

what i'm not seeing toolbar PR for is http:// www.website.com/ which is where all links are pointing. here's where i'm a little confused. my toolbar shows grey for the last link here above. and when i search from my browser my home page isn't listed where it should be in google SERPs. i checked with McDar and my home page is on the top where it should be on majority of the datacenters. when i search from a specific datacenter that shows my home page at the top, my home page comes up in the SERPs where it should be. is this all happening because of the .htaccess file and google is maybe saying http:// www.website.com/ is dupe content? why would it do it now after several years? i just don't understand?? Can someone tell me what snippet exactly i need to have in my .htaccess to direct all those URLs to http:// www.website.com/ or is this even the problem? I guess i need to check it anyway to make sure it is correct. hope someone can help me figure this one out......

Kaptain Kangaroo, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  15. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    jumping on and OFF the serps seemps to have stopped as of today for my site

it's the first day after the june 27 google server crash that the URLs are starting to be marked crawled ( with a date 15 aug ) and for the first time in 6 weeks traffic is jumping up on hundreds of keywords as usual

hence this last server crash it took google a long while to start solving their problem and recovering all correct data

from yesterday until today - precisely about 8 hours ago the change started and my last keywork tracker stat from 2 hrs ago shows that some 250 of my mai keywords have jumped from nowhere to top ten many top 1 serps again as before

to get it all fixed i had to contact google directly twice the last many weeks

there still are some 50% of pages missing - but with 1000+ googlebot visits a day this should be fixed rather fast

hans, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  16. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Try this, Kaptain:

RewriteEngine on
    Options +FollowSymLinks
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^domain\.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.domain.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    </IfModule>

NetMidWest, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  17. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hans, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  18. Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo Peon

Best Answers:
    i see i got a new backlink with domain.com as the URL and maybe Mr. googlebot gets confused easily. okay, i got that running right. now do i need a redirect also for:
    www . domain.com/index.html to www. domain.com ? also, should i even bother with the new google sitemap option of telling googlebot which URL i prefer, or should this suffice? thank you again for your support.

Kaptain Kangaroo, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  19. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have links that point directly to your index.html? If not, don't bother, don't link to it yourself. Link absolutely to all your pages (full http url) and you should be fine.

As far as the new sitemap option, I figure it is for those who do not have .htaccess or cannot use it.

NetMidWest, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  20. Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo Peon

Best Answers:
    i have no links to that URL. i would hope i know better :D but it was someone else that linked to me with the alternate URL that got all of this started. wouldn't it be clever to anticipate for this in advance by already having the redirection there? just my thought.

Kaptain Kangaroo, Aug 18, 2006 IP