1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does directorys bring Traffic?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by tentwenty, Jan 7, 2009.

Hello everyone

i have been submiting my website to loads of directorys Daily. I have noticed my PR jump alot but dont seem to be getting much Traffic from them.

I have even tried using directorys which are a niche to my website but i find that webhosting directorys are mostly used by Other webhost like my self.

Can anyone suggest directorys which are a great source of traffic?

Thanks in Advance

tentwenty, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  2. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Only a few directories will have the bulk traffic, to ensure that a small percentage will send limited traffic to your own site

britishguy, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  3. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Some paid directories will yield good traffic. Most web hosting directories only endorse the web host sites that run a decent affiliate program. Hence why they send loads of traffic to hostgator as they have a $100 payout....

mikey1090, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  4. Shellerz

Shellerz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm yet to find a directory that sends more than 2 or 3 clicks per month

Shellerz, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I get most of my traffic from search engines, i dont think the idea is to expect traffic from directories.

pipes, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  6. fireservice

fireservice Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    many few directories have traffic and u will get very little from that.

directory only help u to increase your backlink, pr, and serp ranks.

and then u will get traffic search engines.

so keep doing manual directory submission. :)

fireservice, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  7. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    R u sure about that?You have check your stats and u havent seen any directory send u at least 5 uniques per month?
    I have many listing in many directories and some of them send me 20-60 per month.Also some specific sites on one of the directories i have work on it top ten send traffic for the previous month was from 62 visits to 16 and all came up from search engine before visiting the site in the listing.
    Ok of course directories wont send u a lot of traffic and especialy if you have for title of the listing something like mp3 but if u take care where you submit your site and what u r submiting (useful site,unique description and e.t.c) then ur submmisions can generate traffic and income.

scoobby, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  8. ronredlich

ronredlich Peon

Best Answers:
    No direct traffic from Directories here just links.

ronredlich, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  9. acuman

acuman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some niche directories can bring a lot of traffic. General directories, in my experience, bring little.
    BUT it may also depend on what type of listing you have since some directories attract a visitor that may not be interested in your listing. For example, my listing of a teapot may attract very few visitors but your listing of a marketing site may get a lot.

acuman, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  10. devilkitty

devilkitty Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure directories bring traffic. Just not as much when compared to Google or other search engines. Thats where maybe people get confused and lost it seems.

It also depends what the user is looking for and if your title and description are the same throughout the web like every one elses. You gotta stand out from the crowd to get the traffic :)

devilkitty, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  11. BloggTime

BloggTime Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I think that directories are mainly used to build back-links for your site and if you get traffic from it, it's a bonus. I guess traffic is a secondary concern in a directory.

BloggTime, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  12. Shellerz

Shellerz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Fair enough, I'm only speaking from my experience. I'm more than interested to here about any directory that its sending 20-60 visits a month!

Shellerz, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  13. jstonedotorg

jstonedotorg Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think I have ever gotten traffic directly from a directory, other than the one hit when they checked the site.

jstonedotorg, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  14. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    There are some directories out there that pass traffic. Most of them are niche directories that have a tight enough theme that they get some Google traffic.

For any directory (general or niche) to give you traffic the page where you'll be listed needs to get hits from people looking for information. Some directories do this by having a following (Yahoo, DMOZ, etc.). Other directories do it by getting search engine traffic. What I do is check the page where I'll be listed to see if it ranks for the page title, description, etc. If it does then I usually get hits that directory. This takes some work, but I think it also gives a bigger SEO boost if the page is related tightly with my site.

freelistfool, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  15. zorah

zorah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Directories don't bring traffic often. Some do like niche ones for example directory critic did provide traffic for my shopping directory.

zorah, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  16. sampathsl

sampathsl Guest

Best Answers:
    Searh Engines bring most of the traffic to my site. I don't think directories can bring a considerable amount of traffic.

sampathsl, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  17. Ninya

Ninya Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes directories do bring traffic, but is this Quality Traffic? Usually no

You would probably be thinking any traffic is good traffic, this is correct with directories because it will better populate your website in getting further in ranks with search engines.

Overall: The hits are decent for making your website popular but don't be expecting sales through Directories.

Ninya, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  18. linkenginepro

linkenginepro Peon

Best Answers:
    General directory usually bring very little traffic. Go with niche directory if you want to get traffic. Hotscripts.com, one of a niche directory that really bring traffic. From them you can expect to get 1000+ targeted unique visit per day if you pay a sponsored listing or buy their ads space.

linkenginepro, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  19. mendin

mendin Active Member

Best Answers:
    My opinion submit directory will raise page rank and submit social bookmark will raise traffic

mendin, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  20. John LaO

John LaO Peon

Best Answers:
    i havent tried getting good traffic from directories though.. but it will definately increase your page rank

John LaO, Jan 7, 2009 IP