1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows Vista Experiment: Join in!

Discussion in 'Bing' started by Cyrus255, Dec 19, 2008.

?

What do you think of Windows Vista?

1. Great!

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. Okay.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. Terrible.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. It must be destroyed for the sake of mankind.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
    Do this experiment as I did, turn on your computer, make sure NO programs are running, and open the task manager. Watch as in the next 5-10 minutes you go for 3gb of free RAM, to 0MB Free Ram within roughly 7 minutes. Vista *actually* swallows all your RAM, and then dishes it out to programs it likes, and withholds it from programs it doesn't like.

Now, atleast that was with my brother's Vista computer (I would never dare use Vista) when he was complaining that Firefox wouldn't play the videos on his website as he had like 10 on one page, yet Microsoft Internet Explorer played them with no problem. It appears Windows Vista only allows Firefox about 50mb of memory, while giving internet explorer unlimited. Thus giving Firefox users a false impression that firefox doesn't work with videos, while promoting their own. My theory is that Vista swallows all your available memory and is refusing firefox and perhaps other software as well the memory to function properly.

In order to verify this, please startup your computer without any programs, look at task manager and wait a few minutes to see if it eats up all your available memory. Please comment here if you experience the same result, or if you don't.

Cyrus255, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  2. tombsc

tombsc Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope.

Vista takes about 1GB RAM to run, the rest remains free.

tombsc, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  3. Cyrus255

Cyrus255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Weird, maybe it depends by version. We eliminated everything else at startup but his still does that. You have vista and tested it yourself?

Did you check task manager and see how much is "available" or are you merely re-hashing microsoft's own words? It might vary by version of vista.

I just tested it with a second vista computer to make sure, and the same thing happened, within a few minutes if you go to "task manager" and look at "available" memory it dips to zilch (often leaving a mere ~50mb left out of 2gb, despite no running programs). Test it correctly or show me screens... I'm fairly confident this is uniform across vista, but I could be wrong.

Cyrus255, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  4. yawez.com

yawez.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't have Vista, but I would like to join. :(

yawez.com, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  5. videos

videos Peon

Best Answers:
    I have Vista and I love it but truthfully it is a bandwidth hog. I think if it comes pre-installed you are in better shape than if you upgrade. Dont know about your experiment but I would not put anything past Microsoft.

videos, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  6. kinson

kinson Guest

Best Answers:
    On the other way I hate vista, I just don't know why they did this thing. It consumes just a lot of RAM. I'll just stick with XP until Windows 7 is released. Hoe this new operative system is better, I really need to run some design programs for my company which consume a lot of RAM but are necessary.

kinson, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  7. Cyrus255

Best Answers:
    Why not give my experiment a try? It takes only the time necessary to reboot (maybe 2 minutes?) and then 5 minutes after startup, watching your task manager as vista eats up all available memory until there is nothing left. :D

I would really like someone to try it, so I can verify this or not.

Cyrus255, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  8. Avitus

Avitus Peon

Best Answers:
    I truly despise vista!! It's a shiny piece of crap, it looks nice. But, it's slow, unstable, and also quite annoying.

Avitus, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  9. Cyrus255

Best Answers:
    Amen to that. But I really want someone to try the experiment... so I can verify it... that in fact microsoft is engaging in such a nefarious practice.

Cyrus255, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  10. gokhanph

gokhanph Peon

Best Answers:
    Vista uses approximately 1 GB of RAM itself.
    More then this depends which software you have installed and running on your pc.
    If your pc is virus free, updated and free of junk files there would not be any problems.

gokhanph, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  11. brian65

brian65 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I couldn't see it using more than 1Gb RAM after more than 10 minutes

brian65, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  12. Cyrus255

Best Answers:
    Did you check your task manager under "available memory" and how much did it say you had?

Heck, if at any time a vista users has available memory, that'd surprise me, experiment or not, as I can't get my two extra vista computers to show above 50megs at any given time, with no processes running, even after a fresh reformatting.

So please anyone who does the experiment, if you could either tell me how much "available memory" it says exactly, or provide a screenshot of your performance tab of the task manager. That'd be a good way to figure it out. And tell which version of vista you use, perhaps it depends on the version or whatnot.

Cyrus255, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  13. CyberWorldJobs

CyberWorldJobs Peon

Best Answers:
    vista ***** man i cant stand it for 5 minutes ,i dont know how my brother and some people use it he has 2 gb ram 1.5 or 8ghz processor as it opens the explorer is gone,i dont like vista

CyberWorldJobs, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  14. LH-Danny

LH-Danny Member

Best Answers:
    Vista is the best :D

LH-Danny, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  15. Cyrus255

Best Answers:
    Yay!! Someone else did have the problem! This is good, more proof. Anyone else test it?

You say that right after someone else has just verified for us that vista grabs all the available memory within 5 minutes of start-up and selectively dishes it out, and restricts it from programs it dislikes. (i.e. I can't watch super memory hogging videos in firefox, but I can in internet explorer, because of Vista, it's fine in XP)

If you think Vista is so great, restart your computer, then open your task manager, and go to the performance tab, and tell us if you have any "available memory" left after 5-10 minutes. If you do, please provide a screenshot.

That's the experiment to prove whether or not microsoft is engaging in what could be the most blatant and offensive violation of computer user's rights I've ever seen from a popular OS (hogging the computer user's memory and dishing it out selectively).

Next you know it'll tell you you can't use torrents, or maybe that windows genuine advantage is already keeping track of all that and will send the FBI a big long list of what you do. (WGA can tell if your copy of windows is legit, so why not other microsoft software like games? then why not non-microsoft software? you can see the progression of microsoft's invasiveness, the next big step for them)

Cyrus255, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  16. pitagora

pitagora Peon

Best Answers:
    sorry to tell you but it seems you have so virus or spyware problems. I'm using Vista for a year now and I've never had problems with RAM. I use Firefox 100% and never run into problems with movies or streaming. In fact I frequently watch webcasts from firefox (both flash and silverlight applets).

I attached a screenshot showing that it only uses 950Mb of RAM with no applications running other then FF on this forum. And yes...in the background I have IIS 7, MSSQL 2005, Mysql 5.0, Azure Services and all that running on a real time encrypted drive with TrueCrypt. And all that uses 950Mb :)

My recommendation: get an anti virus.

PS: it's their software....they have a right to make sure you have rightfully purchased it. Besides, they never went after endusers with pirated copies just because activation failed. You are paranoid mate. If you hate MS that much switch to Linux.

Attached Files:

pitagora, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  17. Cyrus255

Best Answers:
    DUDE you just proved my point! Thank You! Hostile witness for the win!

Your "screenshot" shows you only have 32 megs of "FREE" Ram!! You accidentally didn't realize you just proved what I was saying. :D

[​IMG]

Here's a comparison of your "free" RAM in Vista, versus mine in XP. I have about 600mb of programs running in the background as well, and I haven't restarted it in 5 days. Yet I still have 1.25 gigs free, whereas you just started it up and have 32 megs free. That's the same as what I reported earlier as the weird activity. You have verified this for us.

Yours clearly shows that despite running only a few processes (nothing to cause you to only have 32 megs free), Vista has swallowed all of your RAM within minutes of start-up, and then in order to run, it dishes the RAM out to whichever program it chooses.

Thanks to you, we have finally proven my experiment correct! After all, you were a hostile witness to the court, trying to prove microsoft's innocence, yet you accidentilly proved microsoft's guilt! Thanks a million! Who's paranoid now? I'd respond back to your insult, but I have better manners than that. After all, I owe you for validating my experiment. :D

Cyrus255, Dec 25, 2008 IP
  18. xXMetalicDustXx

xXMetalicDustXx Active Member

Best Answers:
    I tried with 3 gigs, and after 5 min, I still had 2 gigs free.

xXMetalicDustXx, Dec 25, 2008 IP
  19. Cyrus255

Best Answers:
    Can you provide a screenshot?

If you watch your "free" number, does it continue to decrease over time, without running programs? It might take 10 minutes since you have an extra gig of RAM more than the other experiments.

Cyrus255, Dec 25, 2008 IP
  20. qualityfirst

qualityfirst Peon

Best Answers:
    So you're saying you're not happy with Microsoft because they are protecting what is rightfully theirs and because they fight crime?

qualityfirst, Dec 25, 2008 IP