1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain Scammers

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by iluvm, Nov 3, 2008.

Hello,

I recently registered some domain name at namecheap, a day or so later I got a suspicious e mail enquiring about one of my purchased domains asking to buy it (below)
    I replied asking them to give me a realistic price and I may be interested in selling. I then get another e mail asking me to pay for a domain appraisal, starting to get the drift! E mail below.
    The e mail was from eliteinvestment (dot) net domain and just googling that name seems to hit the keyword of Scammer, basically you pay a large fee to have your domain "Professionally" evaluated and then they take your money and run by the sound of it.

This scam is probably known to the people here at DP but it was first time I have heard of it and if this post stops one person being scammed then I'm happy.

iluvm, Nov 3, 2008 IP
    Magawr likes this.
  2. danzl1

danzl1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i have received this mail a few times, always ignore them!

danzl1, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  3. kaygo

kaygo Active Member

Best Answers:
    me too, i got one about 6 months ago, as soon as they mentioned the appraisal i told them where to go.

just another point while we are talking about scammers, i know there is notices all over DP re scammers with paypal and godaddy domains, but i thought the con was they request there money back.

i got a guy who bought 4 domains, nothing major, total $100, I rang paypal support and explained my concerns, they said it was fine and if he opened a dispute he would not get his money back.

I did the deal, 2 days later, dispute opened, saying the owner of the paypal account did not authorize the transaction, i lost them rang paypal support and said you said it was safe to proceed, they didn't want to know, said it was different if its a un-authorized transaction so BEWARE!

I think he stung a few on here, best of it was i couldn't come back on here and let everyone know because i got banned for a week for posting "PM sent awaiting payment" shame there is not the same vigilance for catching scammers that they give to supposed thread bumpers!

its just getting silly on here now, its got to the stage where you are frightened to post in your own thread, the next time I'm banned i wont be coming back!

kaygo, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  4. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    its old scam to get some money from owners . after appraisals they wont reply :D

chandan123, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  5. moonshine

moonshine Peon

Best Answers:
    I to have had this but hey i just ignore it, its great to see you informing everyone here on DP though :)

moonshine, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  6. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like to me its a way to promote domain apprasial service of some site... could be a scam too

Bohra, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  7. 3dPrinting

3dPrinting Peon

Best Answers:
    its a spam scam or scam spam

3dPrinting, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  8. shineDarkly

shineDarkly Banned

Best Answers:
    its called an appraisal scam and is quite old

shineDarkly, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  9. iluvm

iluvm Peon

Best Answers:
    I also received e mails from an asian domain name register earlier this year trying to frighten me into purchasing asian domain extension that I did not want or need.

They stated another company was trying to register asian extensions of the jewellery site I own but as I have the .com & .co.uk they would let me register the asian extensions before this other company registered them. Very nice of them! ;)

The company was called (ASIADNR) http:// www (dot) asiadnr (dot) net

A quick search on google revealed that this was indeed another old domain scam trying to scare unwary web sites owners into registering domain they did not require.

iluvm, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  10. kriss05

kriss05 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Another point: sometimes domain appraisal website suggested in such scammer's letters contains trojan or something like that so never visit those appraisal websites

kriss05, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  11. Master_Seller

Master_Seller Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is a Appraisal Scam

They always ask us to make a appraisal of our domain from some professional service and then they don't buy it.

When i received their email, i was already knowing abt this scam. So i reply them asking their offer, i was got a reply with $10,000 provided i should make a appraise of that domain, i simply told them i can't pay the fees of appraisal as I'm short of funds. You do the appraisal thing and we will deduct the amt you paid for appriasing from your offer price. As you they were the scammers, you know they even didn't agree. So i told them forget abt the appriasal thing and just give the offer without appraisal and they ended up with $10 . I agreed to sell it for $10 ;) , Still they didn't bought it. Actually it was a long conversation exchange of many emails. I really had fun that time.
    This is for those people
    Smart people are always oversmarted by smarter people like DP Members :D

Master_Seller, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  12. webnovations

webnovations Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that's what we should do if we run into scammers. Waste their time, make it seem like we're interested and give them the run around so they know what it feels like. I can't stand these clowns.

webnovations, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  13. hbiz

hbiz Peon

Best Answers:
    I never got that kind of email. Thanks for sharing .... it makes me aware.

hbiz, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  14. domainloco.net

domainloco.net Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I love these guys! Are you kidding me? They make my day... When I get one of these I simply play with them for 5 days straight, then I let them know that I am going to pay for the appraisal and that I would appreciate them paying half the fee because I only have that much in my paypal.

I have never gotten one to actually fall for it, probably because it's the same person. But when you do get it, play with them a little.

domainloco.net, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  15. rdthewall

rdthewall Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing it with others.

rdthewall, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  16. simran_roses

simran_roses Banned

Best Answers:
    i guess this e-mails are always sent to my gmail's SPAM folder.. without even me not seeing. thanks for letting everyone know...

simran_roses, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  17. masterbetong

masterbetong Peon

Best Answers:
    I also received one of these emails, good thing I needed the domain badly that's why I didn't fall prey to these scammers..

masterbetong, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  18. nvidia_xfx

nvidia_xfx Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for making us alert :)

nvidia_xfx, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  19. abhinavnow

abhinavnow Peon

Best Answers:
    good one i am laughing so hard this made my day you played with them and had fun

abhinavnow, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  20. bigbluesky2006

bigbluesky2006 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If something sounds too good to be true it usually is ;)

I got an e-mail like this telling me they would give me $10,000 for a totally worthless domain and asking me to get an appraisal at a site they recommended for $180.

They usually get you on the hook by offering you a large some of money and then when you reply they ask you to get the appraisal. Don't fall for this one people!!!

bigbluesky2006, Nov 4, 2008 IP