1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Increasing Alexa Ranking without black hat tricks

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by bille, Oct 31, 2008.

One of my websites has an Alexa rating that seems much lower than it should be. My impression is that it's low because the site's audience is mostly a non-technical audience that does not have the Alexa toolbar installed.

In any case, I'm trying an experiment to see if I can boost the Alexa ranking without resorting to any "tricks".

I've got a posting up that I'll be using to track progress.

Increase your Alexa Rating, without black hat tricks.

P.S: I know that Alexa ratings aren't terribly important, and that traffic is the usual goal. This experiment is driven mostly by curiosity.

bille, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  2. TNL Nick

TNL Nick Active Member

Best Answers:
    My forum is tied to a video game review site and many of the companies that send us product for review look for a high Alexa ranking. We have scored as high as about 10,000, but our ranking has really taken a beating in the last couple of years, even though our traffic is as high or higher than before.

So most Webmasters scoff at Alexa rankings, but it is important to some others. In the case of my site, our core users are so tech-savvy that they consciously avoid add-ons like the Alexa toolbar because they don't want their browser weighed down or monitored and they already know other ways to block pop-ups and find archived sites.

Compete and other direct-measurement methods would be ideal if only more Webmasters used them.

TNL Nick, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  3. TatyanaN

TatyanaN Peon

Best Answers:
    can you just use an Alexa rank image on the page and that will make Alexa count hits without the toolbar installed on a visitor browser ?

TatyanaN, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  4. bille

bille Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope. Does nothing. The only thing Alexa counts as hits are visitors that come to your site that have the Alexa toolbar ( or Sparky in the case of Firefox ) installed.

bille, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  5. TatyanaN

TatyanaN Peon

Best Answers:
    oh yeah, that is not good if they only count by the toolbar. I think most people who are not webmasters would not install the toolbar. No wonder why my health blogs have so poor Alexa rank but have ok traffic and my brother has a css site with less traffic has better Alexa ranks.

TatyanaN, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  6. steveric

steveric Banned

Best Answers:
    At one point I too realized my alexa rank could be much lower than it was, so I created a post on my blog telling my readers to download the alexa toolbar, it really helped.

I also set my site as my homepage.

steveric, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  7. Smaaz

Smaaz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thats good to know. I always thought that it helps... will remove it from my site then.

Smaaz, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  8. NeverEverClever

NeverEverClever Peon

Best Answers:
    i think you can place a alexa-widget (just search google) on your site. no blackhat, just 60sec work.

all the best

NeverEverClever, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  9. bille

bille Peon

Best Answers:
    Argh. Read the thread, or the article that's linked to. The alexa widget does nothing for your Alexa ranking.

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but it's asked/answered just above your post.

bille, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  10. chdworld

chdworld Banned

Best Answers:
    I dont think it can Happen That easily..

chdworld, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  11. Western

Western Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Western, Nov 1, 2008 IP
  12. videos

videos Peon

Best Answers:
    alexa is only good if you are selling links and want to try to impress clients, otherwise it is easily gamed and manipulated but as you said you already know that...

videos, Nov 1, 2008 IP
  13. bille

bille Peon

Best Answers:
    It's working. My 1 week average alexa ranking has moved from 672,691 to 549,964 and then to 362,827. And, without any increase in overall traffic. My one week average has traditionally gone up and down between 1+ million up to around 600,000...so these are higher number than I've seen.

Hasn't moved the three month average yet, but that takes time.

bille, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  14. !Unreal

!Unreal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa is useless anyway. I dont know why people care about it. The same with PageRank.

!Unreal, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  15. tben2004

tben2004 Guest

Best Answers:
    Well my site alexa ranking is like 600,000 and we only get about 100 unqie hits per week.

tben2004, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  16. bille

bille Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah...that's the kind of oddness/bias I'm talking about. This site is getting 2,500 page views a week ( if that's what you mean by hits ), and ranks similarly to your site even though it's getting at least 25x the traffic.

bille, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  17. Chancey

Chancey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Concentrate on getting more visitors to your site. Alexa works like a competition. You must compete for a spot.

Chancey, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  18. bille

bille Peon

Best Answers:
    Results so far:

1 week average from 672,691 to 196,506
    3 month average from 755,698 to 696,133

Since my overall traffic counts haven't changed much, this seems to validate the theory.

Keeping the numbers updated on the article.

Reminder: Both in the original post, and in the article, I point out why I'm trying this experiment. I know that Alexa ranking isn't useful outside of a few situations. Just curious about the easiest way to boost it.

bille, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  19. coloriteman

coloriteman Peon

Best Answers:
    Although Alexa is only an average value , the up and rise of the graph will give an inspiration and indication of our performance ..

coloriteman, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  20. Mortgage Guy

Mortgage Guy Peon

Best Answers:
    Using an Alexa toolbar is often burdensome. It slows down the computer , in may case it did.

Mortgage Guy, Nov 5, 2008 IP