1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

need product image links

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by sixrfan, Oct 17, 2008.

i just signed up my site to be an affiliate of XXXX. Ideally I'd like to post pictures actual products that XXX sells, and have the pictures link over to that specific product page on their site.

However it doesn't appear that I can do anything other than present a text or banner link. those are the only codes that XXXX supplies. And once someone clicks on a text that will just lead the customer directly to your homepage.

am i able to "swipe" product images from XXXX site, and just fenagle the html code? XXXX said on their CJ company description page "There are absolutely NO RESTRICTIONS".

any advice? i emailed them and am awaiting to here back but figured i'd ask to see if anyone else has had to perform this "work-around".

thanks!

sixrfan, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  2. mcjp6

mcjp6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    will not be a problem, I have done this same thing. use whichever image you want and then link it back to xxxx with their keyword link frm CJ. this way you will have the image you want and using that link will track your revenue. the only thing you won't have without the tracking pixel installed is the number of impressions in your reports.

mcjp6, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  3. sixrfan

sixrfan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    but here's the problem. the links that the advertiser provides don't take the visitor to specific product pages, they take someone to the homepage of the advertiser. so even if i was to fudge the code to put a "coffeepot" picture instead of a hyperlink, when someone clicks on the picture they'll still be taken to a "bed, bath and beyond" homepage.

correct me if i'm wrong but i cant change the transfer page that they provide (for ex. <a href=http://www.bbb.com/transfer_page_where_cookie_is_set"...) because that's where the cookie gets set. if i fudged this code and had the visitor be redirected to the specific product page, then no cookie would get set. right?????? thanks.

sixrfan, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  4. mcjp6

mcjp6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sounds like you are looking for "deep linking" this will take your visitor to any page on their website whilst dropping you a cookie.

go to the get banners page and click on the top one there. if the advertiser allows deep linking (not all do) there will be a field called destination url put your destination url in there and update the code.

that link will then do the job. just edit out the link part to use with your image and you are set :)

mcjp6, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  5. sixrfan

Best Answers:
    thanks very much.

so if the Destination URL field is not even there, then I cannot do this?

And if it is there, then I would take the Destination URL and change it
    from http://www.XXXXX.com/index.php?LID=cj
    to http://www.XXXXX.com/product123abc.php?LID=cj.

is that right?
    thanks!

sixrfan, Oct 18, 2008 IP
  6. mcjp6

mcjp6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    mcjp6, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  7. sixrfan

Best Answers:
    how come when i click "Update Link Code" in the "Get HTML" window for my advertiser, the cookie link keeps changing? since my advertiser doesnt allow deep linking, every link code they provide should be the same, right? because they're all just going to bring me to the advertisers home page???? thanks.

sixrfan, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  8. mcjp6

mcjp6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    there are others here more qualified on this than I, but I do know that CJ uses a number of different servers in their tracking system. the changes in code that you see is address for the different server, its random which server they use and each time you update it just picks a new one - all links go to the same destination with your cookie :)

mcjp6, Oct 19, 2008 IP