1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpBB VS SMF VS MyBB

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Tarkan, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    So I am hearing good things about all these forums. I didn't quite enjoy SMF but it seemed ok. Never really worked with MyBB, and I have had bad experiences with phpBB3 (it's kind of insecure or use to be, and I don't know how good phpbb3 is).

Which one is the best? And list reasons as to why you think so.

Topics include:
    Customization ( SEO )
    Themes ( Are there lots of themes?)
    Integration (with other software)
    Design (the ideas they use, unique ideas?)

I use the "Drupal forum" with some mods to make it look better, but I'm not very happy with it at all!!!:
    Inferno Forums

Tarkan, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  2. Dreads

Dreads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    phpBB would be your best bet, because it has been out the longest, thus having the most mods and themes ect..

Dreads, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  3. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    It's probably true, but I haven't been able to customize it as well as the others I suppose.

Tarkan, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  4. Artimmi

Artimmi Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah, phpBB is the oldest and most trusted free forum software, but it's really unsecure which is the biggest problem.
    I highly recommend you SMF, as it is very easy to administrate, has lots of functions, great integration with Joomla, has also integration with Drupal, Wordpress and some other CMS systems. And it is very strong about hacks too.
    There are quite many themes designed for it, that can be customized. But I don't find SMF template structure great...
    As for SEO and addons check SMF official website -there are lots of good stuff.

simplemachines.org

Artimmi, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  5. Joshua Pitts

Joshua Pitts Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joshua Pitts, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  6. letsjoy

letsjoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    myBB = old VB Rip
    SMF = professional good one
    phpbb = unmatched due a lot of users

you better decide now :)

letsjoy, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  7. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    That's really hard decision. I'm going to try phpBB3 a little. I just hate SMF and phpBB themes, I hope I'll find a good one tho :).

Tarkan, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  8. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    I really really don't like phpbb3... Theming wasn't hard, but apparently modding is a very difficult process because of the design of phpbb3, and it takes a while just to add something simple like AJAX quick reply.

Tarkan, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  9. scylla

scylla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Mybb = good features on par with IPB & VB including a mod panel when viewing thread lists instead of being in the thread.. like in smf....
    SMF = still catching up but lacks in updates and even going to the mod site via the admin cp is broken plus you cant multi lock threads at one time etc..
    PhpBB = many mods & skins to choose from, get your share of mods + exploits at the same time!

You better decide now :)

scylla, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  10. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    My choice has always been SMF. Not because it's Free. But security is the primary reason. I tested SMF and PHPBB in two domains. I did not touch them for 3 months. The next time I logged in there were 31,000 SPAM posts in phpBB. But there was only one SPAM bot registration. All were tested under default security settings.

Bohol, Oct 17, 2008 IP
  11. Tarkan

Tarkan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm going to try MyBB next.

I didn't like SMF too much, it's secure but it's sort of lacking in updates/mods/skins/community.

phpBB, man I made an awesome skin for it, and worked it out, but I couldn't even get a single mod to work, and I know PHP very well, I suppose I may have gotten it to work if I spent more than 1 hour on it, but I'm not willing to dedicate hours and hours just to mod a couple very simple things that should have come WITH a forum package.

Tarkan, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  12. alex_1986

alex_1986 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    use mybb , is better .

alex_1986, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  13. lumpy

lumpy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think Mybb its the best. And the new version (1.4) its something like vBulletin.

Use Mybb

lumpy, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  14. alex_1986

alex_1986 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes, version 1.4 is great ! and similar VB .

alex_1986, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  15. filmixpress

filmixpress Banned

Best Answers:
    Definately Phpbb.

filmixpress, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  16. whatevz

whatevz Banned

Best Answers:
    I like SMF best.

It's the software I use for my forum.

whatevz, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  17. dmi

dmi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd choose SMF among those three.

dmi, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  18. sandeepdude

sandeepdude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i was using smf in my site a while ago.everything was fine except the seo.so i switched over to phpbb3.it works well for me.i face problems only during the mods installation.
    but still, my vote is for phpbb....

sandeepdude, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  19. MrSandMan

MrSandMan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use SMF.

I'm not sure why people say SMF don't have many themes or mods, they have more free mods and themes out there than anyone could ever want/need + more.

I also use phpBB3 - That is a forum that doesn't have much for mods and themes. Even the settings in the admin panel aren't very good. You cannot even select users to get notify emails on subscribed posts without a hack. I'd like phpbb3 more if it was easier to install mods and had more mods / themes and support.

MyBB looks nice (though, I think vB had a lawsuit against them). They don't have very man themes at all and very limited on mods.

phpBB (original) shouldn't even be an option. They're too unsecure.

IMO, SMF is the clear cut winner if you want a safe customizable forum with lots of support.

Otherwise, I'd buy a vB license and just be done with it.

MrSandMan, Oct 19, 2008 IP
  20. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Runescape is older than World of Warcraft does that make it better?

For customization for SEO...probably VB with VBSEO as much as I think it's a waste of money if that's what you want then that's the most robust option. Every software has mods or plugins which perform similar functions. SEO is really just some optimizing for search engines. DP doesn't use it nor do most large forums. If you have good content SEO is worthless.

Themes...well PHPBB probably has the largest variety of free ones.

Integration...well that's tough because I feel like none of them play well with a CMS. Stuff like Joomla has bridges but normally it's clunky and in general people shy away from this option.

Design...well phpbb3 went tableless. They get kudos for that. However imho Mybb is the better and more innovative from a design standpoint. VB is the defacto standard for a lot of things but that's not always a good thing since your forum might look like a thousand others.

That's not true and insulting to the hard working developers of mybb. Where do you get your information from?

Another rumor..probably spread by phpbb or smf fans as they know mybb is better and are feeling very threatened. Mybb doesn't need nearly as many mods since well...it has more built in. And there are a growing number of plugins and themes.

RectangleMan, Oct 22, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.