1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Extremely talented PHP programmer looking for freelance work ASAP!!!

Discussion in 'Programming' started by omgitsfletch, Sep 30, 2008.

Hey guys,

A few of you have worked with me the past. My name is Jason Fletcher, and I've been working professionally with PHP/MySQL primarily, for roughly 4 years. I've worked freelance for a long time, and had some stints working as a team in companies both in-house and telecommuting, so I can adapt to almost any working environment. I lost my job at an internet startup when the next round of funding never came around, and while I'm in the final stages of getting a new job local to my home in Orlando, I still have some bills in the interim.

In short, I'm looking for as much freelance work in the next 2-3 weeks that I can handle. I'm attaching a link to my resume. I have experience with OOP, PHP4 & 5, a number of different Javascript frameworks, and I've created all sorts of PHP applications. As you can tell by my iTrader, or by some very strong references I have available upon request, I'm very good at what I do, and I'm very reliable in getting things done. Chances are if I don't know the necessary technology to do your job, that I can at least figure it out, learn it, and produce something useful very quickly. Just this week, I delved knee-deep into Google Maps API to deliver a guy a custom map for his website; with nearly no Javascript experience, I picked it up and left him 100% satisfied.

Supported Languages/Technologies:
    • PHP
    • MySQL
    • HTML
    • CSS
    • Javascript
    • AJAX
    • C++ (minor)
    • C (minor)
    • Java (minor)
    • Google Maps API
    • Paypal IPN API
    • And more...

I prefer to work on a per-project basis for smaller things, as it's usually easier to guess what kind of work is required and makes it simple to equate that to an exact figure. For larger projects, I typically like to work at my hourly rate of $20/hr. While that is quite extreme for some of the non-USA members of this forum, with that rate comes extremely fluent English knowledge, USA-based availability, availability by telephone, and a programmer who quite simply works better and more efficiently than the guy charging $5/hr.

To wrap it up, my resume and my past work shows that I'm probably qualified for whatever work you throw at me. I have references available upon request, and upon request I can show you some past work I've done in the previous 8 months or so at two different companies. I'd include it in my resume, but since I've been working on teams, it really requires a detailed explanation as to my specific role in each project and what I contributed to each full-scale website. I'm a quick learner, extremely motivated, and quite simply, I love what I do. If you like what you see, please get in contact me through the information in my profile(email preferred). I have just a few weeks left of freelancing before a major company grabs me back, so use that time wisely to get all the quality work I can deliver!

Thanks in advance,
    Jason Fletcher

My Resume:
    Resume.pdf

omgitsfletch, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  2. AlJ

AlJ Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    I needed a PHP script writtten last week and Jason contacted me immediately. After working through some of the details needed, he had it done within an hour or so.

I was very impressed and will definitely use him again for future projects.

ALJ

AlJ, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  3. briteday

briteday Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I have some Mccode mods that I have not found time to do... we could try a few hours and see what you can get done... then go from there. PM me, thanks!

briteday, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  4. omgitsfletch

omgitsfletch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I messaged you Briteday. Considering I gave a huge listing of my past experience and a link to my resume, I'm really surprised more people haven't been interested yet...

omgitsfletch, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  5. onemancreative

onemancreative Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    It's not rocket science, it's the price. While $20/hourly is cheap in America, you could be the Pope of PHP and still not get many offers on DP. Sorry, it's your audience.

onemancreative, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  6. dopiitv

dopiitv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    easy there, some people are interested in a good programmer :)

PM me if you're still looking for work.

Thanks
    Mike

dopiitv, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  7. obiswill

obiswill Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I have a php script that I would like to have an admin area developed for. I have full source code. PM me if you're still interested. You also said you can do light C++ work. I have a project that was due last week in C++ that I could use you for also.

obiswill, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  8. omgitsfletch

omgitsfletch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I'll be in touch with both of you shortly. Can't say that I'll be able to help on the C++ project unless it's VERY basic, but I'll certainly take a look at it for you.

While I agree that the average wage for PHP programmers here certainly isn't on par with average rates in-house throughout the USA, many people are willing to pay for quality work. In fact, a lot of my freelance work has come from fixing the problems caused/created by programmers hired at $5-10/hr.

Also, I tend to think of DigitalPoint (along with most websites on the internet, really) as a USA-centric website. Many potential buyers/clients want someone who can speak fluent English, and value that greatly, along with quality work in their programming language of choice. It's simple really, if I can't explain and communicate a complicated feature/procedure to you in English, and you can't fully understand me, how can I expect that to be translated well into quality working code? Many of these same people who work for these bargain-barrel rates are from other areas of the world and have a pitiful command of the English language.

Take a look at my iTrader for the past few projects I've done. While the total value of the work I've created is not huge, it's also been for simple projects.
    • A simple postback script and a small database creation sql file -- $10. The total time spent on that project, about a half hour, i.e. $20/hr.
    • An opt-in form with intermediate pages, along with cookie checking and an ajax check for a valid id, text-based id database -- $50?. The total time spent on that was about 2-3 hours, because the project grew along the way as the client thought it through more and needed some new things i.e. $20/hr.
    • A simple Google Maps API project, map with custom pushpins linked through an XML file. Ended up being $40. I HAVE NOT WORKED WITH GOOGLE MAPS BEFORE, and I still finished it in about 2 hours i.e. $20/hr.

It's plain to see, that if you hire a competent programmer, you will get someone you can communicate to easily without issue, and get QUALITY results. I've managed to outbid a bunch of cheap (probably foreign) programmers on these last few projects and STILL make $20/hr, because I am a competent, skilled programmer. To anyone reading this thread, if the hourly wage intimidates you, message me anyway. I prefer fixed-price jobs on small projects anyway because I can narrow it down to what it's going to cost me in time invested and still turn a nice profit. The audience isn't that big of a deal, nor are the hordes of crappy programmers who can't speak a lick of English. It's all about breaking it down into numbers that people can see and realizing that you aren't really paying that much more for a good programmer because with skill comes speed. Hope to hear from more people!

omgitsfletch, Oct 1, 2008 IP
  9. dopiitv

dopiitv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    BINGO!

If you've ever had a bad experience with an oursourced coder (I have!) then you'll appreciate someone who knows what they're doing. People who actually care what their code looks like enough to pay more money are few and far between.

dopiitv, Oct 1, 2008 IP