1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Removed Google Site maps and page count goes up

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by swapshop, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Well after a 6 months of runngin sitemaps and google had 38,400 introduced sitemaps google went to 512, now reading the forums and removing sitemaps the count on its way up almost instantly?

So mny users have the same issue Google Site maps seem to deindex your pages.

Will update in a week.

site:www.swapshop.co.nz 577 27 June 10:00am

swapshop, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  2. sholiz

sholiz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I noticed a 6,000 indexed page drop in my site over the past week or so, now I just jumped 10,000 to 26,000.

I wonder if it isn't something to do with new SE updates? Although you've been running it for 6 months ... new updates shouldn't affect that.

For me, I'll try to update ths in a week (or someone remind me aswell) ... I'll disable mine for a week aswell and see if mine dosen't go up or down.

26,900 from ironmass.com as of 26 of June 7:00PM

Edit: Both sitemap in Google Sitemaps deleted aswell as vBSEO Sitemap Generator disabled.

sholiz, Jun 26, 2006 IP
    rewlie likes this.
  3. mahmood

mahmood Guest

Best Answers:
    Same experience here.

mahmood, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  4. Tara33

Tara33 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have also deleted my site map, and monitor the changes; or lack thereof. If nothing happens in a week, I'll assume it has no affect, and re-submit my site map. I am interested to see what happens...

Tara33, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  5. Tara33

Tara33 Peon

Best Answers:
    At 3:25 PM, I took off my site map, and had 109 pages indexed in Google. At 3:53 PM, I now have 415 pages indexed. Is this for real?

Tara33, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  6. sholiz

sholiz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I gained 600 indexed pages shortly after removing mine too, I think it's just coincidence honestly.

sholiz, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  7. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    231 from custom-cabinets.org @ 6:55 PM

ly2, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  8. jdw4jesus

jdw4jesus Peon

Best Answers:
    I removed mine as well...when I removed it, there were 58 pages, with most being supplemental...

Hope this works ;)

jdw4jesus, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  9. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Removing your sitemap has nothing to do with the site:domain.com page count. Google recently changed it's algo back to how it was and now it should be displaying the proper amoutn for all sites. My site was showing ~600 for about 2-3 months, it now shows 30,000+ pages and I didn't remove my sitemap.

fsmedia, Jun 27, 2006 IP
    dkalweit likes this.
  10. sholiz

sholiz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very interesting, i'm still going to keep doing this experiment for a week maybe more. It's interesting to see what happens at least.

sholiz, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  11. sketch

sketch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is an interesting thread, I've subscribed in hopes people will update their results. My page count has gone down the tubes as well, I've lost around 70% of my pages in the last 3 weeks. This last week I've been seeing my traffic come down as well, almost 20%. *sigh*

sketch, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  12. mgrohan

mgrohan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'll be interested to see more people's results on this. I have also seen reductions in listed pages around the time i put up a sitemap. Whether this is just because of google's problems or the sitemaps?

mgrohan, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  13. MikeSwede

MikeSwede Peon

Best Answers:
    As soon as I started creating sitemaps for my sites and submitted them to Google my sites got deindexed, and some of them even removed from the index and I have never been able to get them back again since their so called re-inclusion requests are just a way to keep people in the dark, begging Big Daddy to let you in again!
    I have removed all my sitemaps and it actually helps to get the pages you want indexed using the old way of spidering your site by following your links.
    How many HUGE site submire sitemaps? Does Microsoft submit a sitemap? Apple? Adobe? Amazon? Hell now, and Google have all their pages anyway so why should we do it? I think Google started some new way of indexing the sites that submitted sitemaps and it got all screwed up since they, as always, never test anything before they release it.
    It doesn't help us at all, on the contrary....:eek:

MikeSwede, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  14. sketch

sketch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well that's why this whole "no sitemap means more indexed pages" thing seems interesting (to me at least)... I would've figured that eventually, once caught up, Google's index count would be the same as how many pages are in my sitemap. So if there's 100 pages in my sitemap there's 100 pages in Google, right? It looked like it was getting there and all of a sudden the index count just started plummeting...

Ugh... I just had a bad thought... with Google screwing up so many things lately... what if in the next PR update it's the PR that suffers? *shiver*

sketch, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  15. Tara33

Tara33 Peon

Best Answers:
    It has to be a coincidence. The next morning, my page counts were fluctuating from 103 to 413. For me, the theory is blown.

I will keep watching for more results, though...keep posting please.

Tara33, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  16. sholiz

sholiz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well I've dropped from 26,600 as of 2 days ago, to 25,600 today.

Just regular fluxuations I think, but sitemap has been removed and I noticed a large number of guests on my forum late last night, so I'm not sure if I've gotten some de-indexed or it's just cooincidence again.

sholiz, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  17. dc dalton

dc dalton Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had posted this else where and just moved "over here" today so thought this would be a good place to start.

I had the same problem with all of my sites and my customers sites that used sitemaps. These are sites that have been up for years and enjoyed decent rankings and lots of indexes.

We started putting up sitemaps back around March (right after Big Daddy finalized) and everyones rankings had settled in.. about May 15th every site that had a map dropped like a rock in indexes and rankings. Really had us scratching our heads because no other changes had been made except normal content additions.

Finally about a month ago I deleted all the sitemaps from the servers and my google account. We also did a resubmit just in case and sure enough within a week all the rankings and indexes were back where they were before with only minor differences.

I know Google swears thats not the issue but they are playing this one REAL close to the bone so I figured worse case I redo the maps later .. for now I'm leaving them off.

dc dalton, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  18. onelife

onelife Guest

Best Answers:
    I tried removing the sitemaps from my sites for around a month, did nothing special either way. The changes I had been noticing where more inline with the big daddy update which is pretty much screwing everything up.

Due to the size of my sites 200,000+ pages, a sitemap file of some sort is a bonus, I think Google is just a little confused of late.

Cheers,

Dave

onelife, Jun 30, 2006 IP
  19. sholiz

sholiz Active Member

Best Answers:
    June 30th I'm down to 22,100

Loss of 4,500 indexed pages from the query I did on June 26.

sholiz, Jun 30, 2006 IP
  20. jward

jward Active Member

Best Answers:
    sholiz: When you first installed vBSEO, you were around 16,300 indexed pages - so you're up since then by about 10,000. Fluctuations in the SERPs are a normal occurrence. I would recommend keeping the sitemap installed.

jward, Jun 30, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.