1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sitelinks

Discussion in 'Google' started by Sphinks, Aug 3, 2008.

Today, I've just noticed in my webmaster tools account, that google selected some sitelinks for one of my sites.
    Is this a good sign or just normal thing to happen?

Thx!

Sphinks, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  2. Gallito

Gallito Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, both. It is normal for a site that has been in a given niche for a while and for the website's name for instance. It is a good sign nonetheless though, it shows that Google still loves you :)

Gallito, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  3. im_savage_rawr

im_savage_rawr Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe it to be good

im_savage_rawr, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  4. Sphinks

Sphinks Active Member

Best Answers:
    i'm asking this because 2 months ago that site was penalized (i think!!!).
    2 months ago I lost 95% of visitors coming from Google search engine (that is ~5500 uv/day).
    Now, I'm still waiting for the site to come back on top of serps.

Sphinks, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  5. lilac2

lilac2 Peon

Best Answers:
    That sounds like good news, I've never had that happen before.

lilac2, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  6. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think getting sitelinks is a good thing. It means that your site has good internal linking. It will not help to get more traffic but it is a good achievement

angilina, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  7. lilac2

lilac2 Peon

Best Answers:
    It helps get more traffic because users can click on more than 1 link after the result appears

lilac2, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  8. tankard

tankard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agree with lilac2. Those of my sites that have sitelinks receive more traffic because:

1. as lilac2 said, users can (and will) click on more than one link;
    2. Usually, allegedly, apparently once you have grabbed the top position with a site that displays sitelinks (you will notice that in 95% of all results only the TOP1 position displays sitelinks) you also have a random Top2 position (without sitelinks)

Do you get my drift? You get two top spots if you're clever enough to have sitelinks.

tankard, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  9. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    I would be depressed if it were one of my competitors got them instead of me, put it that way.

i also still consider this the sign of an authority site when you get them for keywords that aren't your name.

which is not us yet. boo.

SEOibiza, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  10. Surf_Dude

Surf_Dude Peon

Best Answers:
    I was given 7 site links.
    I went to Webmaster Tools, and I deleted two of them, because they were not popular at all, one having one incoming link, and the other having two. These two pages would not be "putting my best foot forward", so to speak.

But the real problem, is that my site consists of 20 major and distinct categories, and all the site links are from JUST ONE category. I think that I need to do some serious navigation restructuring, so that I can get some categories (pages) linked, that have HUNDREDS of incoming links. The Google site links are portraying me as a "one-trick" pony, when that is clearly not the case!

Surf_Dude, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  11. fr@nc!z

fr@nc!z Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dont worry dude... Its a good sign. :D

fr@nc!z, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  12. IEmailer.com

IEmailer.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with angilina, it's always a good thing ;)

IEmailer.com, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  13. tankard

tankard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Think of your site as a conglomerate of hubs. I mean a hub would be something that is distinctive from the other parts of your site: news section (or blog); online shop (that's what I always say to my clients - keep your shop where your info is and don't mess around with separate domains); a wildly popular page covering relevant but different topic; forum; etc.

If we speak about powerpages covering relevant (different from the index page) topic, it will be a page with more than 1,000 words of text (short pages will not qualify for sitelinks under this category) and this page should be linked from the index page + it is absolutely crucial that it has at least 10 inlinks from external sites + preferably some interactivity (a contact form, etc.)

My own experience is that (although site architecture is important) it is backlinks that make a separate page from your site stand out and become a candidate for sitelinks. Let me put it this way - other people should think that this page is ah so cool for Google to think the same way!!!

Then, from the coding, pagebuilding point of view, it is a good idea to break the site's flow if you are keen on sitelinks. Both of my sites that are Top1 with sitelinks are built in a way where the main (info) section is custom-made code and the blog is a wordpress thingy in a different folder + there is at least one other section in a different folder with a slightly different topic.

If you base ALL your site on Wordpress (Joomla, Doomla or whatever) it is allegedly a bit harder to gain sitelinks. But you can still do it if you create some powerpages - 1000 words, valuable content, MANY backlinks straight to that specific page.

Uh, guys, I almost feel I have said too much :D I hope you appreciate. It is really a nice thing to have sitelinks ;) You WILL be making more money once you have become a candidate for Google sitelinks!

Just a warning: be careful with that. Disable another three and you will have no Sitelinks at all. Google will show Sitelinks only when there are three or more of them!

tankard, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  14. dpking

dpking Peon

Best Answers:
    Good sign dear :)

dpking, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  15. johnlloyd

johnlloyd Banned

Best Answers:
    it is not bad, especially if your site is in the sitelinks of google! it still shows that google still give importance!

johnlloyd, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  16. webdzr

webdzr Peon

Best Answers:
    I just received sitelinks in my webmaster tools 2 days ago.

Anybody know how long it takes before they appear in the search results?
    I have searched and they are not showing up yet.

My site has many 1st place listings and for some keywords
    its listed 1st. and 2nd.

webdzr, Aug 7, 2008 IP