1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Video Card for Graphic Design

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by genkied, Mar 2, 2006.

guys i have this extra money and i think i will buy a new video card and i need your suggestions what video card should i buy for a worth $300... as of now i have 256mb Nvidia 6600 SE how much do you think i can sell it?

genkied, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  2. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have a good monitor right now? I use the Dell 19" 1905FP and it is amazing and cost just over $300. A much better investment than a graphics card since the one you have is pretty good.

jestep, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  3. genkied

genkied Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes i have this viewsonic 17inch flat screen

genkied, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  4. micsaund

micsaund Peon

Best Answers:
    A recent card, such as the 6600 you currently have, will be plenty for graphic design unless you're doing cutting-edge 3D rendering and need super high-speed rough renders.

As stated above, you'd be better-off spending the money on a better monitor. A 17" is OK, but if you're serious about graphic design, you'll probably really appreciate having a 20" or larger monitor (haha - I think anyone who uses a computer appreciates that ;) ) The monitor is your main interface to the computer and it's worth spending some money to have a good one.

If you mean LCD by "flat screen" you could even sell that for more than $125 I'd guess and combined with the $300 you're looking to spend, you're in the realm of several 20" LCDs such as the Dell 2005FPW (or its new version, the 2007something I just read about). If your current monitor is a flat CRT, then it's probably not worth much of anything so you're a bit further from getting a nicer screen.

Mike

micsaund, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  5. tommie

tommie Guest

Best Answers:
    the flat crt is the best one you can have for designing, I got 2 of em next to each other :), tft's etc are crappy with colors. and 256mb video card is still pretty good for now.

tommie, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  6. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why is a CRT better than an LCD.

I have 2 17" flat panel CRTs (a ViewSonic and a NEC) and I have a 19" Dell LCD. Disregarding the size, The LCD is better in every way that I can see. All three monitors are high end for their brands.

jestep, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  7. storch

storch Peon

Best Answers:
    CRTs are better for graphic design because the color quality is better. The "latest, greatest" is not always the best. It depends on what you want to use it for.

storch, Jan 21, 2007 IP
  8. jbladeus

jbladeus Peon

Best Answers:
    The graphics card you use is more than ok for 2D work. However, if you're into 3D modeling work, then you may want to upgrade. Like others have suggested, you may instead want to invest in quality monitors or simply another monitor if you're still using a single monitor for design work.

Storch, these days LCD technology has advanced to a stage where its colors as as good as CRT's . I use both CRT and LCD and don't find much difference in their color quality.

jbladeus, Jan 21, 2007 IP
  9. d0nk

d0nk Peon

Best Answers:
    I do all kinds of 2d design and, from my experience, your card is fine for 2d. If you want the bottom line: crt's have the best screen materials and video engines inside, however, have both. if you want a true graphic design setup, you should have two lcd for dual screen editing and a crt, even a tv if its HD. I have 2 hanns-g 19" (great price on newegg) and a sony trinitron HDTV as a third from across the room. its great to have two identical monitors for extra workspace and necessary to have a crt to check color and level on a piece of work given that they DO have superior tech inside(when size has no object, the designer can put all they need in a crt, while in a flat panel its "how much can we fit in this thing")

d0nk, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  10. zaniness

zaniness Peon

Best Answers:
    Well here are some pros and cons for the
    CRT

Pros:

* Multisync Capable
    * High Refresh Rates
    * Color Clarity and Depth

Cons:

* Very Heavy and Large
    * Use Large Amounts of Energy
    * Generate Excess Heat

and for the LCD:

Pros:

* Smaller and Lighter
    * Energy Efficient
    * Causes Less Eye Fatigue

Cons:

* Blurry Images Outside Native Resolution
    * Motion Blur on Fast Moving Images
    * Come Models Have Reduced Color Clarity

Either way.. I chose LCD monitors. Anyway, I'd love to have some designers take care of my LCD and case to look great.. :dreaming: I found a site about this thing..with designers..hope it's good..: http://www.merchandizeliquidators.com/designers.htm ..

zaniness, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  11. Creative_illusion

Creative_illusion Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think somebody just hijack the thread. lols. Were talking about video card here my G.A friends. Just a piece of a friendly reminder here I don't mean no harm to anyone. Thanks

Creative_illusion, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  12. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unless you've got a really poor quality CRT and a really high quality LCD, the CRT should have the better picture. It's important to have a flat screen CRT for graphic design because you want to avoid the glare and distortion of a curved glass CRT. LCD technology has advanced a lot in the past couple of years, but it's still really expensive to match the CRT picture quality. Meanwhile, your thread has been pretty well hijacked, as you originally asked about video cards. What kind of graphic design are you doing? If you do a lot of 3d work that makes a big difference in what video card you need.

davewashere, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  13. 2Visuals

2Visuals Peon

Best Answers:
    I use a 8800GTX graphics card for designing.

2Visuals, Nov 10, 2007 IP