1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

150k impressions/mo, not enough revenue

Discussion in 'Websites' started by lappy512, Jan 2, 2006.

http://forums.krazyletter.com/

I've been running a forum with around 150k impressions/month, but I take three months or more to accumulate the earnings needed by google to get a paycheck. My site is PR6, and has 40k+ pages in google; I've tried blending my ads, what is the problem?

lappy512, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  2. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Forums are simply not a good way to earn ad revenue. Forum users get ad-blind quickly. You could try fumbling around with ad placement. Your ad's don't seem to be targetted very well at first glance either - lot of blog type ads. I'm not sure why. I don't run ads in a forum, so I'm not sure what you should expect from those kind of pageviews. I would think more than $1/day, but maybe someone more experienced in this arena can comment.

nevetS, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  3. lappy512

lappy512 Peon

Best Answers:
    I get less. :(

I know, but I talked to the owner of PCHelpForum.com, and he gets a few hundred dollars/month, with 350,000 page views/month. All from google.

He gets more uniques, should that be the reason?

lappy512, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  4. Cutter

Cutter Peon

Best Answers:
    Cutter, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  5. lappy512

lappy512 Peon

Best Answers:
    I just tried putting in a link unit under the first post in the forums...there are some problems with it not showing up randomly. Dunno why. Same thing if I put a leaderboard underneath the first post. Could you IM me or something? I'd like to talk with you, and if my CTR increases, of course I'd reward you. :)

lappy512, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  6. bpeh_cart

bpeh_cart Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the advise cutter. I like the first case study. This is like about.com, where the adsense blends into the text.

my adsense is not impressive as well. but one lesson i learn is that too many ads esp in the index page scares pple away.

bpeh_cart, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  7. shadow20002

shadow20002 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try to replace the ads for more exposure in the eyes of the members. Also, increase your publicity for the forum to attract more members to sign in.

shadow20002, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  8. TheBrokenOne

TheBrokenOne Peon

Best Answers:
    If the google search box isn't converting for you i'd be inclined to remove it, in my experience it was just another way for a visitor to get out of the site without clicking an ad. (Although i can see it converting more than those blog & web hosting ads you seem to be getting).

You should definitely work on gettin more uniques though, CTR per visitor is more important than CTR per impression imo. Consider using an ad/link unit near the foot of your pages also.

TheBrokenOne, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  9. howardhsu

howardhsu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

It's also about the topic your forums are about. For instance, PCHelpForum.com would be technology/computing related, which have been shown to have higher paying keywords within their verticals, versus a general forum about anything and everything (i.e. 'The Random, Weird and Outrageous').

Also, instead of placing the Link unit underneath the first post, you might try integrating it as it's own post... see FatWallet.com/forums as an example integration.

Best of luck getting your page CPM up...

howardhsu, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  10. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say put coop or linkvault on your site. You can rent out that space, and with that page rank and pages indexed, you could get much more then $30/month! :cool:

MattEvers, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  11. lappy512

lappy512 Peon

Best Answers:
    How would I increase my publicity besides AdWords? I've seen forums (Daniweb) that have around 900 guests but only 10 members or so on. They've run many campaigns on adsense (I've seen them on my ads before). With a even less targeted forum, that won't work well.

Sometimes the link doesn't even appear! It only appears 1/2 of the time, if I put another leaderboard, it will only appear 1/2 of the time too! Another IPB forum guy had the same problem as me.

I sold some footer links on here, and that's about how much I make from them.

Also, search bar's not doing well, only a few querries a day, maybe I should remove it. Today, zer0 revenue from the forums, $0.01 on DP from a CPM ad. Maybe I'll get rich from posting on DP :D

lappy512, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  12. webigail

webigail Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there a conflict between adsense and link vault?

I found that I could definitely use link-vault on my site, but already have adsense.

webigail, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  13. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    No, because Link Vault ads aren't contextual (They don't change according to the content on the page.

The only conflict is you can't use the Coop and Link Vault at the same time.

yfs1, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  14. chawlars

chawlars Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    chawlars, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  15. lappy512

lappy512 Peon

Best Answers:
    One problem I've been having is that sometimes, randomly, the second+ ad unit dissappears, and so then leaves an empty space in the page. I'm not sure what's causing this, yet.

lappy512, Jan 5, 2006 IP