1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ is NOt Open, it is BIASED

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by PRBot.Com, Sep 24, 2004.

1. thedude

thedude Guest

Best Answers:
    And I concur on all points with joeychgo.

The thing is, it does matter. This guy has defrauded many people. Perhaps it doesn't matter to you, but in general, someone who presents himself (or herself) as an honest individual, then goes and lynches your money or someone else's hard work is truly important.

That is the foundation of the justice system. People who go around plagarising other people's works and presenting them as their own is dishonest and is theivery and should be punished. Justice is very important. Say that you were the owner of SitePoint or any of the official vBulletin websites. Would you say that you didn't care if Max stole your site descriptions and tried to undermine you? If you take a look at any of the vBulletin sites, you can see that the owners and the rest of the community DID care about this issue.

His actions are affecting everyone here, either indirectly or directly. And you plan to just sit back and say that breaking the law doesn't matter? I don't know what to say to someone with that sort of mentality. Max has taken plagarism and stealing to the Nth degree.

We live in a country that values certain things. And it's people who sit back and don't care who undermine what we stand for. Even if you aren't in the US, but Canada or Western Europe, or other parts of the world. The mentality of "it doesn't matter" is very dangerous thinking indeed.

thedude, Sep 26, 2004 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I find it amusing that prbot's site at zonebot.com claims to be
    yet excludes the regional data so is infact a USA directory. I know that many cats have regional content but the bulk of regional sites are in the regional tree.

Sarah

sarahk, Sep 26, 2004 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  3. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    The Regional directories are yet another reason to be annoyed at DMOZ... they force good sites with absolutely no regional focus into the regional directory.

Will.Spencer, Sep 27, 2004 IP
    thedude likes this.
  4. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

how do they force?

joeychgo, Sep 27, 2004 IP
  5. leer

leer Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you never seen our fleet of black Mercedes (with tinted windows) full of extremley 'wide' men who seem to have a somewhat 'persuading' nature'?

[Sorry - just thought it was about time to try and inject some humour :) ]

leer, Sep 27, 2004 IP
  6. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

Yeah - every family holiday

joeychgo, Sep 27, 2004 IP
    relixx likes this.
  7. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ROFL - Just got Neg rep for the above comment - only a year old. Naturally they didnt sign their name - gotta love it.

joeychgo, Aug 7, 2005 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  8. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thedude...you gotta know if you win an argument you have to stop or else you can lose again

you made your points...if all your posts are just arguments with someone I don't think you are being a valuable member

does everything need to be an argument?

also I won't respond to you as most of my questions were rhetorical and I am leaving this trashed thread...it was fun for a page or two but now it's trashed totally

RectangleMan, Aug 8, 2005 IP
  9. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Actually, it was trashed a year ago... and "thedude" hasn't been at the forum since December of last year...

fryman, Aug 8, 2005 IP
  10. dejaone

dejaone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If we rank all directories by whether they're open, dmoz would be definitely on the botton most.

dejaone, Aug 9, 2005 IP
  11. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

LOLOLOLOLOL And now I got neg rep just for mentioning I got neg rep!

Unbelievable. Some people have no life.

joeychgo, Aug 9, 2005 IP
    J.P, classifieds, zman and 1 other person like this.
  12. mahmood

mahmood Guest

Best Answers:
    DMOZ has contradiction in its criteria. They say they would accept only unique contents websites, this means that if I create a site today and somebody else a similar one tomorrow, only mine will be accepted but they also promise that they won't treat websites based on "who comes first"

How can this be possible?

from the other side accepting only "unique" contents is unfair. This means that if somebody sells mobile phones online and was lucky to hear about DMOZ and got accepted, nobody else has the opportunity to sell mobile phones and be in DMOZ. This means a great discrimination against the second one since 1000 backlinks cant compete with DMOZ alone. How can I sell mobile phones and create unique contents? Actually some one with a high IQ may find a way to create unique contents for the same products but this simply mean an advantage for the first one that could easily follow the traditional approach.

mahmood, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Settle mahmood!

They're just saying that if you have another "me-too" site don't count on getting listed. Online stores are another thing altogether.

And if your site is in a regional category such as "outer mongolia" and someone submits a very similar site to "inner mongolia" do you really think anyone will notice?

sarahk, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  14. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think thats the wrong attitude.

Include information about mobile phones thts unique - Write articles about new developments, review the phones yourself, discuss the different cel companies yourself. There is your unique content. And on this one I agree with DMOZ - I wouldnt want them listing 100 affilliate sites that are all effectively identical.

Take some time, provide information, and you will get higher conversion rates from the people who do visit your site. Dont blame dmoz on this one.

joeychgo, Aug 11, 2005 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  15. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent post, joeychgo!

Focus on offering something of value to the surfer, and not just to the webmaster.

But there are many definitions of "unique" - for example - a car dealer in city A selling Toyotas is probably offering the same products as dealer in city B - how is that unique?

Well, to someone living in City B, just listing the City A site would deprive them of something useful. In that sense their physical location is different - that is the unique part.

Alucard, Aug 11, 2005 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  16. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you - exactly. You have to have something to make you different. Why should they buy from your affilliate site rather then someone elses? Just cuz you rank higher in ther serps? No... Your offering the same products at the same prices.

You want to compete, then compete. Offer more, offer different things, offer information, offer opinion. Offer SOMETHING besides what everyone else is offering.

joeychgo, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  17. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The only value of a dmoz listing is all the surrogate DMOZ sites out there. ITs instant 200-300 BL's or more. Do a Press Release, pay $80 to prweb and you get the same thing and its only 2 days to get the links live.

lorien1973, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  18. starmonkey

starmonkey Peon

Best Answers:
    RE: DMOZ is NOt Open, it is BIASED

No kidding. I'm still kinda new to this forum here, but I thought that EVERYBODY that works with the web either in marketing/seo/sem or whatever knew they were corrupt.

Their reputation is so tarnished that no one in their right mind should even give them the slightest bit of consideration.

http://marketingslave.com/2005/05/30/corruption-at-dmoz-trouble-brewing-at-the-open-directory-project/

http://www.corruptdmozeditor.com/2004/12/how-to-bribe-dmoz-editor.html

and for a laugh:

http://www.nmoz.com/

DMOZ is a joke, plain and simple. Zero credibility.

starmonkey, Aug 11, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  19. Googles76

Googles76 Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you expand on this a little? What do you pay the fee for and also do these BL's from PRweb stay for a long time? I am interested if I can yield the same results as from getting a Dmoz listing.

Googles76, Aug 11, 2005 IP
  20. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    the PRs are released to a ton of sites. They seem to stick around for quite a while (at least on some sites). I've seen some of my prs have gotten to a toolbar pr3, so they are available for quite a long time.

lorien1973, Aug 11, 2005 IP