1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Maiahost 1.5% CPU Usage Limit for Muliple Plan Shared Hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Poon Poi Ming, Aug 3, 2009.

Hi, does anyone knows what the webhost industry's average CPU Usage Limit for Multiple Plan Shared-hosting is? I was kicked out of Maiahost after just been with them for 5 months because they claimed that I have touched their 1.5% CPU Usage Limit. That was fast because as of July 23, 2009, I had only used up 5% (2.35G) of the 50G monthly bandwidth allocation that they promised in their advertisement. A real blunder in my choice of webhost.

Poon Poi Ming, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  2. pitagora

pitagora Peon

Best Answers:
    1.5% sounds ok. The problem is 1.5% of what? A pentium 4 or a Quad Core Intel Xeon? Get the picture?

pitagora, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  3. jagged

jagged Peon

Best Answers:
    Like stated above 1.5 should be fine if your on something like a Quad Core

jagged, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  4. venetsian

venetsian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    venetsian, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  5. Poon Poi Ming

Poon Poi Ming Active Member

Best Answers:
    100k visitors? What is 100k visitors? 100,000 visitors per month or per year? Well, Aseanpedia.com domain under Maiahost had less than 600 visitors a day (most probably averaging around 400), working out to less than 18k visitors a month, so how did it touch 10% of your CPU usage? Care to explain?

Just to refresh your memory:

Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 05:45:14 PM
    Staff Wrote:
    Ok the situation is the following. You are using 10% of a whole dedicated server. The account you currently currently have can hold up to 1.5%. You are pretty much 8% over that limit. This load is caused by your own website and may be due to many things, most commonly web spiders and visitors.

You currently have around 50,000 pageviews this month. ​

For more details, see dummipedia.org/Template:Maiahost_correspondence

(P/S: A very detailed complaint was posted at webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=6317756&posted=1#post6317756 and we are there patiently waiting for your kind response. The post was pointedly addressed to you, Venetsian. Mind to say a word or two there? And also at Sitepoint at sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4337834#post4337834

Digital Point happens to be the last place that I posted and the first place you responded.)

Poon Poi Ming, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  6. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Hi Venetsian, can I ask you a point-blank question? Are you the same Venetsian that claims to be the Maiahost owner in my email? Or put more simply, are you the owner of Maiahost?

The reason why I ask is because, at first, I thought you are. But on a subsequent reading, I note that you say: I see they are pretty good. Then the subsequently sentence looks like "1.5% of our 24GHz total." If the pronoun "they" is correctly used, then the subsequent use of the pronoun "our" must be wrong, or is it a Freudian slip, LOL.

By the way, if you are really the owner of Maiahost, can you explain how to attract 100,000 visitors when the number of page views is only 50,000, as stated in an earlier post. Is there such a thing as half a pageview? If so, Dummipedia.org must count as the first website in the world to have attained 100,000 visitors with only 50,000 pageviews.

Cheers,
    Dummipedia.org

Poon Poi Ming, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  7. venetsian

venetsian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Mr Poon.

Can you please let me know what type of software are you running? Is it a software which uses a lot of resources? Well in this case your software slows down our servers and compared to other websites with the same amount of traffic for load, we said that we are not able to continue and host your website if you don't fix your script/software not to load. Since we were not able to find what your software's problem is we gave you FULL refund and full backup in order for you to move your site to another hosting company.

What is the problem with that?

Go on complain to everyone, lets see if there will be a single web host to support you!

Venetsian,
    Maiahost Support.

P.S. the letter R is next to the Letter T on the keyboard if you don't really know that.

venetsian, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  8. syafiqikhwan

syafiqikhwan Banned

Best Answers:
    same with me . i has been banned by justhost about use more then 10% cpu usage. and then the only choice i has is take virtual private server . i suggest you make it too

syafiqikhwan, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  9. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Hi Venetsian, it's amazing that as my webhost, you don't even know that I am using Mediawiki software before you decide to kick me out. In fact, I did ask your technical support to help me with part of the installation and they were very helpful. So how come you don't know that I am using Mediawiki when they know? Seems like an internal communication problem... and Maiahost is only a small webhost. Well, there were no complaints about me using Mediawiki during my first 5 months, so why did Maiahost suddenly have a problem?

Venetsian, now you are adding in a new dimension: "Well in this case your software slows down our servers and compared to other websites with the same amount of traffic for load, we said that we are not able to continue and host your website if you don't fix your script/software not to load."

Trying to tell lies again? Can you show proof that you ever asked me to fix my script/software? As far as I know, my site was suddenly suspended and I was told to contact your company immediately via the suspension notice that replaced my homepage. I contacted your Online Chat support and was told that I hit 2.6% CPU usage. I opened a ticket and was informed by your Technical Support that I hit 10%. Such a big difference. I then ask your company to confirm whether it is 2.6% or 10%. You did not confirm the figures but said that you will show me the figures in a few days when your new software is installed. I may not be good in programming but I know it is so easy to add a factor of 30% of whatever amount you may wish to a customer's actual usage as in CPUUsageAmt * 1.3.

I suggested shifting some websites out and also disable Dummipedia.org, my biggest website, but did you agree? Can you show proof? I can, what about you? Your company keep on insisting that I must upgrade to VDS or get out, right? The text of one major string of email conversation is displayed at dummipedia.org/Template:Maiahost_correspondence (if you need, I can display the other long string, and several short ones also.) What was stated therein is: "If [upgrading] is such a problem, we will refund you all the money you pre-paid. It is better for us to refund you since you will cost us more money if we host you. As I said, your website is using a lot of resources and we can host about 20 other people for the same resources you use." Was there anything ever said about asking me to fix my software problems?

You mentioned: “Since we were not able to find what your software's problem is we gave you FULL refund and full backup in order for you to move your site to another hosting company. What is the problem with that?” Well, my friend once signed a sales and purchase agreement to sell one of his shophouses but someone subsequently offered a much higher price. He wanted to give them a FULL refund but they refused. Wish I had known you earlier... you are so cunning. Probably you can help him and we can share part of the loot, LOL.

(P/S: "the letter R is next to the Letter T on the keyboard if you don't really know that." So what are you trying to drive at? That you can play on that weakness? Remember that there is such a thing called "circumstantial evidence" to prove one's motives.)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    Poon Poi Ming, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  10. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Syafiqikhwan, my advice to you is to join GoDaddy (or even Hostgator). According to Wikipedia, GoDaddy are 3 times bigger than their next competitor (I presume is Freewebs) and I believe there must be good reason for that. Earlier, I had the misconception that as a small fry, we go to small fry companies where we can get better service. How wrong was I! GoDaddy asked me to take their smallest plan for multiple webhosting before considering going into VDS. The small companies operate a few small servers and act like Jesus Christ feeding 3,000 people with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish. Overselling is the name of the game in this dubious webhosting industry, so forget about those dubious small companies where they write their own glorified reviews. To be sure, there may be some good small companies out there, but better be safe than be sorry is the best of my advice. Maiahost? Yakkss, LOL.

11. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Oh, I didn't quite get you earlier. R is next to the letter T. Are you trying to tell me that your message should read as:

Okay, if that is the case, your message is internally consistent but still, it doesn't makes sense when juxtaposed against your last post. When you say, "they", what do you actually mean? That you are not part of Maiahost, or you are a part? My, you really make me confused! One minute, you sign as "Venetsian, Maiahost Owner", another minute you sign as "Venetsian, Maiahost Support". Is this a one-man company?

You mentioned: "Go on complain to everyone, lets see if there will be a single web host to support you!" Are you saying that all webhosts are as unscrupulous as Maiahost. (Com'on, sue me, I am making a very strong statement, LOL.) As a matter of fact, I was invited to join another webhost but I decided to join GoDaddy instead. Actually, one of my options is to go for free webhosting such as Wetpaint, Wikidot, or even Wikia. No more headaches, after all, my sites hardly generate any income.)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  12. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Hi Venetsian, Mediawiki is an open source software that uses both PHP and MySQL. You say that you "were not able to find what [my] software's problem is." Is Maiahost still hosting any Mediawiki softwares in its servers? Maybe it would be a good idea to find out exactly what the problem is before the same problem crops out again with your other customers. There are easily a few hundred major forums (whether Mediawiki, PHP, MySQL and other tech forums) where we can post the problem. I, for one, knows that MediaWiki-I is a good one where they post emails to every one of their members whenever any of their members have a problem. If you can kindly tell me exactly how you did your investigation (without even knowing the name of the software, LOL), maybe I can help you send out thousands of messages. Surely, someone will be able to assist.

Poon Poi Ming, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  13. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Wikipedia says: "In the web hosting industry, [overselling is a term that is used] to describe a situation in which a company provides hosting plans that are unsustainable if every one of its customers uses the full extent of services advertised. The term is usually referred to the web space and bandwidth transfer allowance. A hosting company may offer unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth, however, they put other restrictions in place such as CPU usage or inode limit."

Hi, I have been wondering.... how much bandwidth and disk space can 1.5% CPU usage support, assuming it is a Dual Xeon 5450 Quad Core 3.0GHz server or similar? At 1.5%, the maximum number of domain that can be hosted is 67, and anything more is overselling, which seems to be standard practice in this industry. I see servers with more than 600 domains... what then is the overselling limit that is considered fair to its customers?

Poon Poi Ming, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  14. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Hi Venetsian, although it is more than two weeks since, I am still awaiting proof that you did ask me to fix my script/software. Honestly, I wonder how you can prove it when you never did ask me to do so but merely asked me to upgrade to VDS or get lost (Online Chat says: "We don't want you here.").

I just received the following email from Mediawiki-I:

I have a shared server account with Lunarpages that I have been using for the past three years to host a fan wiki for a tv show. Everything was running smoothly until about a month or so ago. It was a couple of weeks after I had updated to Mediawiki 1.15 (I had been using 1.13 previously). I got a message from Lunarpages that index.php was using
    too much of the server's processor power (spiking from 1.3% - 2.5% cpu, the allowable limit on the shared server is 1% ).

They disabled the script until I could find a solution. There was a fatal error that I noticed in my php error log…

Shortly before the incident, 1.15.1 had come out and it did have some bugfixes so I upgraded, figuring the error may have been the cause of the spike. After the upgrade, I noticed no more fatal errors. The issue seemed to go away for a bit, until I got a notice a couple of days later of another spike:

Average %CPU usage - 1.35

Average %Memory usage - 0.82
    Average %MySQL usage - 0.1

{EDIT} 1.35 0.82 0.1
    Top Process %CPU 50.0 [php-cgi]
    Top Process %CPU 43.0 [php-cgi]
    Top Process %CPU 34.0 /usr/local/php5/bin/php-cgi
    /{EDIT}/public_html/w/index.php

Is my wiki just outgrowing the shared host? In the past 6 months my daily averages have been ~15-31k hits amongst 500-1000 visitors…

F.t. Petracca​

Can you see our friend hitting only 1.35% CPU usage? How then on earth did I hit 10% of Maiahost's CPU usage limit when my daily hits is not even 2K and my total number of visitors for all my websites under the Multiple Plan does not exceed 600, maybe not even 500, LOL. By the way, the bug is in Version 1.15 and I am still using Version 1.14, so the above technical problem does not apply to me. Surprisingly, Maiahost technical capabilities is so weak, compared to other webhosts, that it doesn't know what the problem was, even with the help of error logs, LOL. But truth be said, it was merely a fictitious problem.

Poon Poi Ming, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  15. fbnewtz

fbnewtz Peon

Best Answers:
    just find another host and get over it.

fbnewtz, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  16. tharani

tharani Active Member

Best Answers:
    A decent Dual Quad Core server can cost anywhere between 300-500 USD. Considering a 1.5% usage it can be shared between 67 accounts. Each account's raw cost will be between 4.5-7.5 USD per month. Add Server management, Customer/Technical Support costs and you will know that overselling is the only solution for shared host to continue. Users are not ready to pay the fair price to host.

What you pay is what you get. ;)

tharani, Sep 16, 2009 IP
  17. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Interesting calculation but the test of the pudding is in testing another one. I had 5 websites with Maiahost under its Maia Five Package then when they insisted, 5 months later, that I should take up their Virtual Dedicated Server (VDS) at $49.95 per month. When I sought advice from Godaddy as to whether I need a VDS, given my hard disk usage and web traffic, they told me that they see absolutely no reason why I would need one and suggested that I tried out their Deluxe Plan which cost only $6.99 a month for a one-year subscription. Maiahost's Maia Five Package cost $6.95 a month for one year. Does 4 cents make a world of difference? Yes, if you go to Maiahost and if Tharani's calculation is to go by.

In any case, I decided to go for GoDaddy's Unlimited Shared-Hosting Plan and now have some 40 websites, including the 5 that I transferred from Maihost. This plan now costs $9.99 per month if you sign up for one year and only $6.99 per month if you sign up for 3 years. So Tharani, is there something wrong with your calculation, or is Godaddy doing a losing business?

I have been with Godaddy since August 2009 which is almost one and a half year now, and they haven't given me even a single problem (Maiahost starts giving me trouble after 5 months).

So by all means, go to Maiahost and have your "breath of fresh air for hosting" if you believe that "what you pay is what you get". As for me, I have recommended a few friends to Godaddy and they are as happy as can be. The website in the signature below is one that I helped to build and I have recommended them to go to Godaddy for their own webhosting as soon as it is ready.

Poon Poi Ming, Dec 9, 2010 IP
  18. tharani

tharani Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is nothing wrong with my calculations. Every web host on this planet is overselling including the data centers and bandwidth providers. Its just matter of how much they are over selling and how much their capacity is.

cheers

tharani, Dec 17, 2010 IP
  19. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Hi Tharani, overselling is not a sin. After all, that's the name of the game in shared hosting.... to lower the cost of hosting. And that is how insurance works too, so it's nothing new.

The sin, however, is not honoring what they claim to provide in terms of disk space and bandwidth. Question is why promised 5,000MB in diskspace and 50,000MB in monthly bandwidth when what they later told me was that they only cater to mini-websites of a few pages each.

Poon Poi Ming, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  20. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Hi Venetsian, it's more than 3 years now since I left Maiahost for GoDaddy. My, am I so pleased with them!!!

You challenged me to take my website to any webhost and see if they would accept me. Well, they did, LOL. Sorry, Venetsian, I won't recommend anyone to your webhosting service or to the other one (can't remember its name) that you formed after our arguments. By the way, is Maiahost still a reseller of GoDaddy?

Poon Poi Ming, Sep 4, 2014 IP