Alexa trends of Mybb vs SMF vs PHPBB

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by RectangleMan, Nov 17, 2008.

Recent topics are springing up discussing these 3 softwares particularly the SMF vs Mybb camp. So to add fuel to the fire so to speak.

[​IMG]

Clearly the trend is mybb gaining on both SMF and PHPBB. I believe this trend will continue.

And yes before all you anti-Alexa people jump in. I am well aware that you will say it's not accurate. But whatever...you know it's an indicator and it's not as easy to game as it used to be. They have altered their algorithm and use data from a number of sources now not just their toolbar.

The fact that Mybb now has a similar ranking as SMF says a lot to me. Especially given the SMF forums are so active. I think the inactivity of Mybb community reflects the intuitive nature of the software. Less people are requesting help than for SMF and PHPBB.

Mybb lacks strong documentation but c'mon..who reads documentation? Intuitive interfaces stand out and are self-explanatory as the Mybb software is.

Feel free to give your perspective on this.

EDIT: I didn't add it to the chart but for reference:
    Vbulletin.com has a traffic rank of: 26,234

And if you go chart them at Alexa you see the same falling trend. The only software doing well is MYBB.

RectangleMan, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  2. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    How about the fact that myBB just had a major release within the past few months? So people are obviously spreading links to myBB. Also I barely see any red above the SMF line anywhere except for maybe the beggining of November where I cant even see the SMF line. >_> Either way what does traffic have to do with anything? Its the fact of how many people are actually using the software.

shadow82x, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  3. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What would be the reason for the drop in traffic for VB, SMF, and PHPBB?

Traffic should directly relate to downloads. I can try and get the downloads for mybb posted. Can you get them for SMF for a comparison?

That's also a one year chart..well before 1.4x was released (Aug 1st, 2008). PHPBB has had a serious decline in Alexa ranking the past year and SMF a similar trend. While Mybb has remained very steady.

Are you sure that's what you meant to say? You're asking what traffic has to do with visitors? I gotta assume you have an error in that statement somewhere. Read it again and let me know.

4. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry I havent been feeling too good lately and havent proof read my post. :p

I'm also sure people are willing to download and test the new version of myBB (if its because of downloads). But than again alexa is not very accurate. I think the recent lack of visistors for SMF and phpBB are due to the lack of the development for the time being.

When SMF2.0 or phpBB3.1(?) is released im sure they would go up just as myBB is starting to go up slightly.

PS: Lets I really dont feel like having another debate like the last one lets keep the bashing out of this topic for now :p

5. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    Before 1.4x in August Mybb admins were just sitting waiting for the new release. I had stopped development of plugins and themes and so did many other authors. Looking at the levels of Mybb since Aug I don't see any significant spike.

That chart doesn't show significant (if any) growth for mybb. What it does show is the decline of SMF and PHBB. This could be due to a number of factors which would only be guesses but it's still a troubling trend for SMF fans imho.

If that was my site I would be really unhappy about the drop. Looking carefully it seems like June was the big dropoff. So this could have more to do with kids being out of school or the economy as the summer felt rather blah. It's just speculation.

6. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah Possibly.

I find it kind of odd that phpbb users dropped a lot too. (Assuming I'm trusting alexa for now) Is there a way to compare vB and IPB too?

7. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

VB seems similar to PHPBB and SMF as they all drop over the past year. IPB dropped too but not as much.

Hey does anyone know when Alexa altered their algorithm? That might have been around the time of the June. I can't remember exactly. I bet that's it. Since the accuracy of Alexa increased and you don't see those giant swings in rank as you did a year ago. Hmm...

8. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah something is a bit wacky if every major forum software company dropped massively. (excluding myBB) Maybe everyone is going to ikonboard. Lol :p

9. U-BotDev

U-BotDev Peon

Best Answers:
    haha this seems like kind of a roundabout way to review software

U-BotDev, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  10. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    It's not a review. It's a comparison of the Alexa rankings of the majors. I don't see anything else under discussion.

RectangleMan, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  11. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's good to know the rankings are getting more accurate.

gemini181, Nov 18, 2008 IP