1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo Price Jump

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by TheMagpie, Jul 7, 2008.

Ok so Yahoo was my entry into IM and I thought $9 was OK, but Yahoo just told me my price has gone to $34 to renew. So thats a %350 increase right?
    Are these guys trying to stuff holes with $ or what.

Just my thoughts today.

TheMagpie, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  2. Precise

Precise Peon

Best Answers:
    Well Microsoft will be buying them perty soon, so the hosejob might just end soon.

Precise, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  3. Netbiz

Netbiz Peon

Best Answers:
    I know, sometimes Yahoo can be a big thorn in your side... BUMMER!

Netbiz, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  4. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I seen that on the GoDaddy blog yesterday, seems like a massive increase. maybe Yahoo do not want to be in the domain name market anymore and this is there way of giving people a push to go with other registrars.
    I think Godaddy were offering a deal to pick up anyone not happy with the increase in charges, I forget how much, but something like $6.99 to transfer to them and you get the first year registration for free..
    Maybe worth looking in to!

Cheers
    James

tattoos, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  5. tampa_man_33

tampa_man_33 Peon

Best Answers:
    For most websites GO Daddy is sufficient for what you need to accomplish. I would go that route especially if you have multiple sites.

tampa_man_33, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  6. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have some domains at Yahoo, and this is what I did. File complaints at:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

And since Yahoo is a member of the BBB:

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx

The problem with my domains is that they were under sixty days to renew, so I could not transfer them. Notice of a 280% price increase did not provide time to move them. Since Yahoo does not allow manual renewals at any time, one must wait until the domain automatically renews. In other words, those with domains soon to expire were SOL.

If Yahoo is holding your domains hostage, file a complaint before paying the randsom fee...

My complaint with the BBB has already been reviewed by BBB staff and forwarded to Yahoo for their review/response. Some things noted in the complaint:

1. Request that Yahoo provide ample notice of price increases.
    2. Allow domain renewals at any time, as is common with most Registrars.
    3. I requested my domains be renewed at $13 a piece, not $34. :)

I thought Yahoo was above this shady crap. Guess I was wrong, and it certainly changed my opinion of them big time.

For those that wonder why I registered domains at Yahoo, they offered a $.99 .com first year fee with a renewal at $13. I did not learn about the huge price increase until June, but my domains were already under sixty days to renewal so I could not transfer them. And Yahoo only bills renewals at the end of the term, so I could not renew under the old price which was phased out 7/1/08.

If the FTC and/or BBB gets enough complaints, they may REQUIRE Yahoo conduct business differently and refund us a portion of our registration fees. It may be a long shot, but its worth the 15 minutes to submit the complaints and have a record of your dissatisfaction.

I believe the timing of this huge price increase was deliberate. Right around the time all those special $.99 promotional domains are due to renew, bam! Talk about some under handed BS. This is 100% bait and switch. Lure people with $.99 .com's, tell them it will be $13 to renew, then jack them hard when they can't transfer or renew. :mad:

Because of this, I refuse to reload my YSM account. I will spend more at Google and Live.

snowbird, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  7. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    :eek: Wow!.. I have not ever used Yahoo as a registrar so I was unaware about any of what you have just pointed out!
    What you have said about making official complaints makes perfect sense, and the fact that they lured people in with a .99c deal and promise of a $13 renewal, then to trap people into paying $34 :mad:
    Surely that has to be illegal, if it is not illegal, it is certainly immoral.
    Man, I feel like laying a complaint! and I don't even have any domains registered there..

Thanks for the links, I am sure the will get put to good use!

Cheers
    James

tattoos, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  8. Adulu

Adulu Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo is insane by money.

Adulu, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  9. shanX

shanX Peon

Best Answers:
    WTF is wrong with these people?? I just went for the brand name Yahoo, thinking that it offers a quality service, neglecting lesser offers from GoDaddy, Namecheap ..etc. Today I saw a $35 billing on my CC, dint know about this till now. I have around 7 domains with them, which means $35x7, which equals to 25 domains on all other not so big registars. Am moving all my domains to somewhere else and not gonna use Yahoo related services hereafter, RIP Yahoo!! :)

And snowbird, thanks for the tip ;)

shanX, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  10. zhaiduo

zhaiduo Peon

Best Answers:
    How could we do to protect us?

zhaiduo, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  11. datafiedbpo

datafiedbpo Banned

Best Answers:
    thats good news for yahoo lovers

datafiedbpo, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  12. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Another great Idea from Yahoo

soniqhost.com, Jul 11, 2008 IP
  13. TheMagpie

TheMagpie Active Member

Best Answers:
    The worse part is moving them ! I went to move about 50 back in Feb and I called because of registra issues. They don't own any of the domains. So when I called after I had already paid to move them to GD the Customer service guy promised $9 renewal. So I stopped the transfer.
    Should have made him put it in writing.
    Now this and I forgot all about it till I just came back here.
    Time to get to work

TheMagpie, Jul 12, 2008 IP
  14. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah... $35 seems to be there favorite number. Everything is going up there its crazy. Thats why I'm transfering everything out.

indyonline, Jul 13, 2008 IP
  15. TheMagpie

TheMagpie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Finally talked to someone at Yapoo and they said Melbourne IT is charging them $40 a year. She also said all registrars are going to be increasing there prices, including GD. I wonder what GD would think about yahoo customer service reps saying that.
    She also said you can move a domain up to 9 days before with no problems. Doubt that too.
    Just have to deal with it.

TheMagpie, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  16. david432111

david432111 Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder why.

david432111, Jul 20, 2008 IP
  17. leesw

leesw Guest

Best Answers:
    $34 is silly. They are taking advantage of the folks who don't know that most registrars it's about $9.

leesw, Jul 20, 2008 IP
  18. traaa

traaa Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think so

traaa, Jul 22, 2008 IP