1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ - A four letter word for arrogance?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by CoffeeJunky, Feb 20, 2006.

1. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    which ones? If they are top level or have a volume of sites listed - it is likely to great of a task to give to a new editor. Existing editors are granted for these.

how many websites are in the category?

new topics become available all the time.

fathom, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  2. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply pagode. I can see your point about spam BUT why not just reply in this case with a simple 'non-definative' reply that simply states you're seen as a spam website.(period)

In my first post in this thread I received a nice chunk of green (thank you) with a message
    As far as your analogy around customer/supplier relationships...I find it interesting :). It makes me think, again, about a question I asked in another thread 'why does a DMOZ editor become an editor?' Brizzie did his college best but openly admitted that it was a tough question to answer :confused:.

Anyways, just sayen to help reduce negative PR a reply may help the project continue to develop in a more positive light! But then again I guess any press is good press :confused:

H

EDIT: The wasn't worth another post but sometimes I split a gut at some comments people make! Minstrel is most guilty of this :). Did you have your coffee this morning Minstrel? [​IMG]

Homer, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Add pagode, fathom, and lmocr to the list of editors who would rather give canned responses or dance around doing the Monty Python silly walk or fish dance than address any issues.

minstrel, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  4. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would think this is obvious... maybe not.

I have my own directory - I sent out canned acceptance/rejection emails.

I got replies to the rejections all the time [wonder why?]

I first replied, then I just ignored, then I removed completely.

You can easily demonstrate the phenomena yourself here by setting your User CP to monitoring all forums... and when you get an email - post a response.

fathom, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  5. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I was re-reading http://www.dmoz.org/about.html when I saw this comment.

This was again found on http://www.dmoz.org/help/submit.html

Regarding those two points, a short explanation of why a become and editor/submit an url is not available would help reduce confusion.

How does that related to open? New topics become available because of a need to growth. At the end of the day, dmoz is used by commercial entities (source: http://www.dmoz.org/about.html - The Internet Brain), so it has to grow with demand. These commercial entities make money from people using their search engine, portal or directory (advertising money).

I can see for myself that dmoz is "free as in beer" (free submission, free to use data), but this has nothing to with being open or "in the spirit of the open source movement".

Where does open apply to DMOZ? It's definitely "Free Directory Project". Maybe there was just an accidental mis-naming when the idea was thought up.

ryan_uk, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  6. mariush

mariush Peon

Best Answers:
    I just have a question for dmoz staff..

How do you know that a site submission is a dupe if resubmitted after a few months ?

For example, if a site that was initially rejected had it's domain expired and someone else bought it, will this new person with a site that has entirely different content perhaps be considered duped ?

I think that there are lots of methods available to prevent automatic submissions of sitesm there is no excuse for not having some way of knowing if your sumission was ever processed, accepted or rejected.

I've tried submitting one of my sites to DMOZ but when I've seen the personal information of the person that handles that category.. I can only imagine how often he checks that category...

Then there's the corruption which EXISTS and nobody at dmoz can deny it.

mariush, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  7. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are open to suggest, I am open to review, accept, decline, you are open to request a removal, a change, or another website.

You may indeed believe "open" means you can place you listing on the mainpage - ok - open source suggests - do that on your own directory if you wish.

fathom, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  8. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    The Open means that everyone is allowed to use the DMOZ data to publish on his own website as long as they give us the proper credit for delivering the data.

pagode, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Translation: Open means you are allowed to look at the contents of the Directory and that's pretty much the extent of it.

10. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what a changelog is. I don't think I've heard that suggestion before, so I'm intrigued... lmocr, you said we have that for editors only? Do we call it something else? :confused:

Persons seeking listings are not using ODP products or services. :confused:

Please keep in mind that I haven't looked at your sites so I'm replying based on your statement alone... You say you are a "real estate company owner" licensed in multiple states to do business. If this is one company you should be submitting one main website, not a website for every city or state you cover. Do you think maybe the reason you're having trouble is that you misunderstand the submitting policies? Based solely on what you say, I'd think one submission of your main site to the main Real Estate category might be more appropriate for your company.

Real Estate is strict. The rule is, one company gets one listing.

We can't list a "soon to open real estate company" ...it must already be open.

Are you licensed in multiple states? If so, please consider not submitting at the city level at all, rather submit to the one category that covers your whole business.

compostannie, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  11. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    As a fellow editor, reading http://dmoz.org/about.html, I am a little bit disapointed by your interpretation of the meaning of "open":confused:

vulcano, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  12. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    I didn't write that I believe that, did I? JFYI, I have no intention of submitting to dmoz, never have. Even if I did, I wouldn't expect my site to be linked on the mainpage. That's just ridiculous.

I only enquired what open has to do with dmoz. The word open is being misused. It should be replaced with free. I am "open" to make suggestions to Microsoft, for example, but most of their software is paid. And the software that is free is just like dmoz data: free as in beer but in no way open.

ryan_uk, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  13. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I assume [noting based only on my cats and not all cats] I can the quene - I tend to be there often and know the sites that are awaiting my review. So the same site resubmits - well it isn't any different than seeing all my posts in this thread.

Well review means review. Expired domain do happen all the time - but rarely does a different company pickup an expired domain, add content, and just happens to find the identical category [how'd they know the previous owner submitted there?]

Watch your log files.

With an edit - 4 months the account times out. But you can apply to any category [best to start at small ones for best results]. and if you happen to volunteer more time - well you'll do better than the previous.

Like any diverse organization made of world-wide people with various interests and ideas - there are people with varying motives.

I myself focus on reviewing and listing websites.

fathom, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  14. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's an opinion - correct?

fathom, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  15. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In the spirit of "Open Source" the owner can define what they wish - I didn't mean to imply you wanted a list on DMOZ's mainpage - I was noting that you can identity your own open source project and run it how you see fit.

I apologize for the confusion.

fathom, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  16. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    This is not one company. I am a company owner in one state and a licensed real estate agent in another, both companies are different.

The site in Las Vegas is under Century 21 and not the new company that will open. This site can not by law be listed as a company site until such licenses and registrations have been approved and this could take some time.

If and when this does happen for Las vegas I would make a request to Dmoz for the site to be moved to the appropreiate category, if this category mneant having to remove the Florida site, so be it.

Las Vegas Homes, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  17. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I'm intrigue by this discussion - enlightening! :D

fathom, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  18. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    A good and simple definition can be found on wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changelog

ryan_uk, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Why? That won't tell you if or when your site is reviewed or if it has been rejected or accepted. It may tell you that someone from DMOZ checked to see if the URL was valid - the site may sit there waiting for a review for months after that or it may never be looked at again.

Have you seen what happens when someone requests a removal? Ask I, Brian about the response to that one.

No one has ever suggested that - please stop posting this "rubbish". Address the issue or don't but don't add to the already large pile of DMOZ smokescreen and bafflegab here, please. You already have The Resource Zone for that crap.

20. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    On http://dmoz.org/about.html, the word "open", shows up about 14 times. So after reading the entire page, one might expect a somehow balanced view on that issue, correct?

vulcano, Feb 25, 2006 IP