1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Snoop Bid Directory is no more...

Discussion in 'Directories' started by pctec, Sep 17, 2007.

When I first started the bidding section on my site I struggled with the entire idea of a bid directory. I suppose you could say I wanted a piece of the pie so to speak... so what... most people want a piece of the pie don't they? We all like to eat...

But after much consideration and pondering over the recent events I have decided I will no longer support that model of directory. This is a personal decision and I honestly do not care who agrees or disagrees with me.

Let me also point out that no listing have been deleted. All listings are still there in the position they bid for but now there is no reference whatsoever to a bidding directory. I have also renamed the folder to cool and all links pointing to the old url that I did during promotion is now being redirected to the new folder.

I am neither looking to be bitched at nor applauded for what I have done. It was a personal decision and it is what it is. I am however, sorry that I fell into the craze that was...

Life goes on right?
    Adapt or fizzle out...

All the best,
    Tim

pctec, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  2. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You have nice websites Tim and I like the Gifts especially. It's good for you to do this and go for a Clean and Honest intention. People really jumped on the bandwagon because of THE PIE whether they accept it or not and most were not ready to handle. All it made was disaster for the directory industry as a whole.

Good Luck to you. :)

popotalk, Sep 17, 2007 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  3. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Sure life goes, do what is in your own comfort zone, but always put your clients first if they are happy, you can bet you will be happy too :)

Good luck with your new direction just remember once again no customers means no business :cool:

Take care keep them all informed at all times

Be transparent as you are in this thread and keep working hard

britishguy, Sep 17, 2007 IP
    pctec likes this.
  4. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    A bit sad at your decision as I was planning to purchase a listing there sometime in the future but well, its your call. Good luck with your future endeavours.

Ibn Juferi, Sep 17, 2007 IP
    pctec likes this.
  5. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what's more important is that you are creating something unique. I think it was rather a wise decision.

It's a shame that all this bidding directory trend turned into some kind of QBC. I do think there is a place for bidding directories. It's just so many of them, real QBC folks, ruined the original concept and purpose. I fully understand your struggle in this.

coolsitez, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You have done what you feel is right and i admire you making not only a large decision but also explaining what your doing for anyone who needs to know.

Continued success to you for whatever you have planned and hope everything works out very well.

pipes, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  7. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    I didnt really follow the developments in this market but I did see one thread where someone had bid something in excess of $1000 and was trying to justify it. Is this where it all went wrong?

workshop, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  8. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    Nice to see a spontaneous confession.

I have to admit, though, the 10 recommended directories on your main page look mighty strange. As a consumer I'd wonder why you were recommending direct competitors.

Lexiseek, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  9. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you

I never felt completely comfortable with the bidding directory but when submissions drop to nothing and you see bidding dir's growing like wildfire... like I said, I like to eat too.

There is still the regular directory which in my opinion gives far more value.

I think it was wise as well. I just wish I would have never started it to begin with.

I think if I didnt explain it then some people would have raised eyebrows and wondered why the switch... then the rumors would fly...

The funny thing about the bidding concept is that its ok for google to do it. Adwords - the higher you bid, the higher you rank.

I doubt you as a "consumer" has anything to do with your comment but rest assured, the recommended sites on the front page will be dealt with soon enough. I am honest as the day is long and by God if I say your thumbnail will be there 90 days, it will remain there for that period, PERIOD!

pctec, Sep 17, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  10. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That will take you all the way, and good to read. Wishing you well in your directory moving forward.

DownUnder, Sep 17, 2007 IP
    pctec likes this.
  11. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well its best to quit while you are ahead. Nice you admitted you jumped on it as you saw others were making $$$ from the concept.

Best to focus on adding content to your main directory and work hard promoting that:)

mikey1090, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  12. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    That's excellent. I'm sure the customers actually thought the whole website would still be there and intact in 90 days, but at least the thumbnail will be. :D

Lexiseek, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  13. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Dam... ill miss that furry face and beedy eyes staring at me :D

We all do things for what we belive to be correct...

what will it become? general directory or detective niche? snoop... :)

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Sep 17, 2007 IP
    pctec likes this.
  14. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I didnt say the site will be gone in 90 days... just the thumbnails.

It's already a general directory... I had just added a bidding section. No worries, the "furry face and beedy eyes" will be here for quite a while I'd think :)

That's exactly why everyone jumped on wouldn't you agree?

Thank you...

pctec, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  15. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well if you ever decide to jump back on the ship let me know... :D

I have a "few domains" that i may part with and 2-3 might be the bidding sites
    the domains alone are worth a few bucks i would think..

bid-directory.com
    bidding-directory.com

truethfully i just dont have the time for these type off niches as they call
    for selective major promotions and i simply cant do that at this time.

i would "consider" offers over $500 per domain and those interested may PM me

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  16. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was going to develope my own customer bid for position directory but then looked further into it and decided not to. I was thinking of doing this at least 6 - 9 months ago if not a little longer as it seemed a good concept when advertisers had to bid for rankings. I think my choice that I made was the correct one at the time and still think it's definitely a correct one now due to what is happening.

john269, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  17. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    exactly, don't let Google or members here tell you what to do, but follow your instinct.

Blogmaster, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  18. homepageofthemonth

homepageofthemonth Peon

Best Answers:
    I completely agree...Adwords is keyword link bidding.

How can I or anyone else afford Googles bid prices, unless we are able to have an income stream as well?

In order to pass traffic from my site to yours, I have to advertise, but now we get penalized for paying for advertising...unless we pay Google!

I am still advertising, but not with Google.
    Sorry, for the rant.

pctec: I understand your decision. Best wishes, keep up the excellent work with snoopdirectory.com

homepageofthemonth, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  19. indyguidedotinfo

indyguidedotinfo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    exactly if you want good traffic from adwords you need to invest at least $100 a day. $5 a day will only bring you maybe 10 hits and if you lucky they might buy something!.

indyguidedotinfo, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  20. darrenlambert

darrenlambert Peon

Best Answers:
    Google's guidelines suggest using JavaScript for adverts, just like Google's systems. If adverts are written using JavaScript, or even use the nofollow tag, Google will not penalize.

Google are not trying to hurt anyone. They are trying to increase the value, and secure the future of their search engine, by making sure the search results are the best. This means ignoring or devaluing any artificial links.

darrenlambert, Sep 18, 2007 IP
    kiviniar likes this.