1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is there life after Google

Discussion in 'Directories' started by choice, Sep 17, 2007.

choice, Sep 17, 2007 IP
    Brian1970 and uttoransen like this.
  2. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    John Chow got hit with the -50ish penalty just like we did. He got hit for link exchanging of a major class, he was swapping PR6 links if they reviewed his site with his chosen anchor text. He got penalsised like we did, and he has been for several months.

He adds unique content to his site and his traffic still flows. If directory owners did this then there wouldnt be a problem.

I dont know when or if google will ever lift the penalty on ouir sites. Yahoo is useless at ranking sites compared with google, so since the ban my traffic from search engines is pretty much dead. I sometimes get a hit from live.com or msn.com but only occasionaly.

mikey1090, Sep 17, 2007 IP
    uttoransen likes this.
  3. deebee

deebee Active Member

Best Answers:
    My own 2cents worth is that Google is now too big & too powerful. When any brand gets to this kind of size it undergoes turmoil; on the plus side, competitors smell the kill potential and move in. Sadly, I don't think any are big/clever enough to take G on.

Also, in any other business environment, trading standards would be pulled in and the monopolies commission would start to get interested in what's going on - it's a shame that isn't happening right now.

deebee, Sep 17, 2007 IP
    uttoransen likes this.
  4. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Yahoo + MSN Live + Rest of all other search engines = kids for Google.

Nobody is able to compete with delivering traffic to your site with Google.

Penalty on John Chow didn't shack confidence of anyone he has base of his blog visitors so he has survived but this is not the case with directories. Directories revenue model is different and depends on Google 100%. People submit in directories to gain high rank in Google but if they find that directories itself are not able to rank for their brand keywords. Then with the passage of time submissions trend would go sharply down {you might be experiencing it already}.

What Google has done to directories is that it has shaken the confidence of submitters. Its the real and long lasting damage because 'restoration' of confidence will take too much time.

If you don't agree then Let see.

Mong, Sep 17, 2007 IP
    minstrel and Richie_Ni like this.
  5. bschneider5

bschneider5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I really don't think they care if people submit or not. They'd probably prefer to just find the sites on their own.

It's their world, we're just playing in it.

bschneider5, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  6. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think to be 100% realistic G is not the mother of all bosses, so whatever they do or don't do good luck to them :)

Directories will continue to develop and flourish thats what happens in business, business does not stop its ongoing and new methods/actions/features etc will surface :cool:

britishguy, Sep 17, 2007 IP
    dhruv37 likes this.
  7. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    Mong, I think you have something there

centime, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  8. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    actually i was thinking the same! MRTP acts are pretty strong in all the countries, am sure google will face more "court cases" in future! Google's search marketing is very close to monopolistic and restrictive trade practices!

Life after google, really hard at this moment, but may be in future directories can live without google!:)

uttoransen, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  9. wayner

wayner Peon

Best Answers:
    Life after Google, sure, but I don't think the directory industry will be penalised as a whole by Google and those currently suffering will probably be allowed back in after Google feels it has done enough to show everyone it means business regarding paid links.

I don't think we can dismiss Google either now or anytime in the near future, in my experience there is no other SE that drives so much traffic my way, the difference is truly immense, Google probably gives me 20-30 times the volume of traffic than all the other SE's combined, right now Google has the ability to send anybody's site massive amounts of traffic and to ignore them is surely a mistake.

wayner, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  10. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good positive attitude will always help

the penalty that has been imposed is only for buying too much links within a particular time frame

Freewebspace, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  11. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If there is some lasting penalty in the SERPs it is still a great (and low-cost) way of building relevant backlinks. Even if some discount penatly is invloved the low-cost and ease of access makes directories a good way of helping to promote new and existing sites.

jg123, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  12. choice

choice Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    the time will come when something is done just like when Microsoft where told to stop including browsers and media player with there new software

choice, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  13. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo has always been easy to spam. So yes... you can continue to spam Yahoo even though it won't work any more in Google. Good luck relying on Yahoo traffic, though.

Precisely.

I have no difficulty understanding why you wish this to be true. I hope at least part of you realizes you're in total denial.

Those directories buying links, advertising PR benefits, and interlinking with all their buddies' directories will not recover until they stop doing what they've been doing. Moreover, once the customers of these paid directories realize there is no PR benefit and no significant traffic benefit, most will die a natural death. Why would anyone pay you for advertising on a site that the target population will never visit?

It's called denial.

No. Pay attention. It's broader and more complex than that.

minstrel, Sep 17, 2007 IP
    1 person likes this.
  14. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    I just laugh out when people say that "Oh google has penalized my directories, they are very bad, I hate google , lets use yahoo , MSN " ..... you must be saying "Oh Google has penalized my directories, i have been using wrong practices, my sites are bullshit,"

And thats truth

Google gives the most relevant and best websites when searched on for keywords. I have seen 2 weeks old sites rank for keywords like "weight loss" on yahoo and MSN their algorithms are over manipulative and can be easily fooled. This is not the case with google. Google's algorithm is very complex and you cant make a new site and use tricks to rank it on top. Only Quality good, relevant and old sites rank. Google Rocks and Will keep rocking.

aditya_sfs, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  15. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    There's definitely no life after Google. You need to be in Google or you are a goner.

Lexiseek, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  16. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    hmm

last month my online game got 600 search engine referals. 400 from google and 100 from yahoo, 100 from others.

If you have the right niche other search engines can do well, otherwise there is little life after google.

mikey1090, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  17. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    I assumed he was referring to directories that are penalized in Google. Most people won't buy links from sites that are penalized.

They don't want the stigma.

Lexiseek, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  18. deebee

deebee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Errr, not on Adsense it doesn't which is being spammed like there's no tomorrow.

Try explaining this to my wife who last night searched on 'slow growing pinus' and #1 sponsored listing was a penis extension website!

deebee, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  19. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is definitely incorrect, where did you get that from?

syted, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  20. LakeCountry

LakeCountry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The truth is nobody know what's going on with Google but Google. All the junk so many people are quick to spew out is purely rumor, speculation and opinion and not based on any solid fact(s).

I challenge anyone that claims it's a result of buying links, selling links,advertising PR benefits, and interlinking to provide any concrete evidence to back up these claims.

Sure, something has happened but just what is any ones guess at this point.

LakeCountry, Sep 17, 2007 IP