1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Aviva Directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by sundaybrew, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rightit

rightit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry to know it as aviva is one of the best and very quality directory.

I am happy that my major directory Allthelook is ok. i checked it here. :D

rightit, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  2. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Google seems to be cold blooded. :cool:

Mong, Sep 4, 2007 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  3. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    olddocks, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  4. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    because of this.

sachin410, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  5. PixelStreamed

PixelStreamed Peon

Best Answers:
    i honestly think if you're not always so concerned about Google and just run a quality directory you shouldn't worry. With the millions of new spam directories opening up daily it's bound to happened that Google will do something about it sooner or later. if you think about it, most directories are just a link farm in disguise so the hammer IS AND WILL fall sooner or later. that being said, there are always these fluctuations when google decides to do the dance, wait it out a few days and watch all the fluctuations will settle down and everyone that was crying will feel a little embarrassed. just my two cents.

PixelStreamed, Sep 5, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  6. PixelStreamed

PixelStreamed Peon

Best Answers:
    when a directory gets too popular it asks to be spotted by Google's radar, and if you read Google's TOS whether you like it or not all directories are breaking the rules pretty much. I really feel bad for these guys.

PixelStreamed, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  7. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    And on that note I think we should close the thread as it sums it all up. Why give any of these PR chasing link pages any more exposure than we have.

The Pheonix, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  8. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    Phoenix, I have a lot of respect for your posts, always have but I just don't understand this one. Could you elaborate?

Thanks

threebuckchuck, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  9. checksum

checksum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's too bad, hopefully the owners get through it alright.

checksum, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  10. indyguidedotinfo

indyguidedotinfo Notable Member

Best Answers:

i just put in AvivaDirectory.com and aviva is number 1 again. maybe things are straightening out .

indyguidedotinfo, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its been there and never left. But try Aviva Web Directory or Aviva Download Blog. ;)

popotalk, Sep 6, 2007 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  12. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    First let me say that I know I will take a LOT of heat for this post but . . . ENOUGH is ENOUGH! :mad:

How you know that nobody has done any of the things you mentioned above is pure speculation, PURE!

We have contacted one of "the big guys", namely Jeff at Aviva and asked him why Aviva is copying content from one of our niche directories word for word. We started contacting him August 5, and to this day have not heard one single word from him. That was 1 month and 1 day ago!

Now every time someone posts an allegation about somebody here, all I see and hear is, "let me see the proof". The proof is below in the links I have supplied, undeniable proof!

The screen shots at the bottom of the pages below are of all the PM's that were sent his way and the other 30 screen shots or so are of the copied content! The screen shots you see here are only through the letter "D" alphabetically. We have not checked through the rest of our site as we got sick to our stomach's as we went through trying to figure out WTF was going on over at Aviva.

When looking at these screen shots take special notice as to the listing dates and especially the TIME listed. These specific sites (30 roughly) were all listed within approximately 2 hours. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Yes, this big guy IS doing something wrong and I'm sick of the lack of response from him. I don't know if Aviva is copying anything from anywhere else but . . . those of you who go out and find quality sites and write your own descriptions might want to check!

Use this link for large monitors
    Use this link for small monitors (like laptops)

If you can't read the screen shots and would like a copy of the original file, PM me and I would be more than happy to send it to you.

minstrel and paidhosting like this.
  13. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    So that's one.

Here's an admission of wrongdoing from another:

Is Google Hitting Directory Links?

So much for "evil Google" ganging up on reputable directory owners and taking the bread out of the mouths of their children.

If you do the crime, do the time - without whining. These guys had a nice little string of making money by gaming Google. Now Google is clsiong the door.

minstrel, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  14. onlinedude

onlinedude Peon

Best Answers:
    I too am sick of these false allegations.

Fact of the matter is that I hired compostannie, who is threebuckchuck's wife, to be an editor for Aviva. She came to Aviva as a highly recommended DMOZ editor. She was paid generously - $25 and hour - and expected to do a good job.

Instead of doing her job as an editor, she decided to scam me.

I had to fire her as a corrupt editor. A few week prior to that, she was fired as a corrupt editor of DMOZ. 2 directories fired her in two months for corruption. Go figure.

Compostannie scammed me in 3 ways.

1. She copied listings from her directories straight onto Aviva, with the same wording.

2. She added the same links onto Aviva and her directories at the same time, with the same wording.

3. She copied listings from DMOZ straight onto Aviva.

She admitted to the above in messages to me.

On June 22, 2007 I PM'd her: "Are you adding all the same links to both Aviva and LinksQuitters?". She did not respond. On June 25, 2007, I chased her up again. Finally she answered on June 26, 2007:

Unfortunately, it was far more than 10% - it was pretty close to 100%. The remaining listings were copied from DMOZ and other places. She admitted this too. On June 15, 2007 I pointed out to her: "I was reviewing the listings that you added this last week and it seems like a lot of them are just cut and paste rather than your own words."

Despite me chasing her up, she took a week to respond. On June 22, 2007, she answered:

I asked her to fix this. A week later, this still hadn't been done. I wrote her: "Did you get a chance to do this? I still see several listings that don't seem to have been fixed. "

She responded:

Unfortunately, they weren't all fixed. A few days later, I fired compostannie.

Now, unfortunately compostannie and her husband threebuckchuck are trying to get their revenge on me.

Shortly after I fired compostannie, Aviva was removed from DMOZ. You will remember, that it was compostannie who added Aviva to DMOZ.

Now, they seem to be trying to exact revenge by claiming that the copying was the other way around. All listings in Aviva that are in their directories were copied by compostannie, and not the other way around.

I'm getting screen shots together of all the proof of this.

onlinedude, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  15. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Uh-huh. That makes a lot of sense. So you're trying to have us believe that Annie scammed you, you fired her, and now her husband is here airing it in public? Yeah, right. That makes a LOT of sense.

If you think you're going to clean your face by slamming Annie here, think again. :mad:

minstrel, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  16. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Omg bunny is so much confused now, and waits for screenshots not manipulated in any way.

Sheesh i never knew running directories can be so much of an hassle.

paidhosting, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  17. onlinedude

onlinedude Peon

Best Answers:
    That's exactly why I waited a week to fire her, because I knew it would cause a bad reaction in the community.

Revenge certainly makes a lot of sense.

Anyhow, here's an example of Scam #1:

On November 28, 2006, the following listing was added to LinksQuitters:

The Gold Book
    http://www.manheimgold.com/
    Provides estimated values of classic automobiles from 1886 to 1997. Prices are determined by monitoring auction results and private sales in the United States and Western Europe. Search by year, make, and model to determine values.

Screenshot here:
    http://www.avivadirectory.com/annie-scam/44a.JPG

On May 25, 2007, the following listing was added to Aviva by annie
    The Gold Book
    http://www.manheimgold.com/
    Provides the values of classic automobiles from 1886 to 1997. Prices are determined by monitoring auction results and private sales in the United States and Western Europe. Search by year, make, and model to determine values.

Screenshot here:
    http://www.avivadirectory.com/annie-scam/24576.JPG

Who's copying whom?

18. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok jeff looked at both ur screenshots and compared to what Dave posted, the difference is clear the links that annie added show the links owner name as Annie, on ur directory it shows http://www.avivadirectory.com/detail/link-24576.html , but look at

http://www.avivadirectory.com/detail/link-31694.html and http://www.only-yours.com/detail/link-132.html they look the same to me, and note the link owner on ur site is Eab whatever or whoever that is. So thats definitely not annie and look at link submitted date : Aug 5th, and from what i make of it u fired annie in early/mid july , so how can annie add that link when she was fired already?

So please provide more solid proof, cause i need it for my aviva review i posted and i recently edited to add this scandal onto the same. I know u do not care but others care and want to make sure they are not geting scammed from a site they submitting links to.

paidhosting, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  19. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    This is not based on revenge. This is based on a month's worth of PM's not responded to. No more, no less.

So what you are saying is that she copied a listing from MY directory and added it to YOUR directory? The description is different all be it by one word but the listing is a quality one and it was ADDED TO YOUR DIRECTORY. Not the other way around!

Why does it take a post like mine to get a response from you? This could have been easily avoided in private and you know it!

20. onlinedude

onlinedude Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's an example of Scam #2. Pay particular attention to the times:

On May 25, 2007 at 10:33:16 AM the following was added to LinksQuitters:

National Kite Month
    http://www.nationalkitemonth.org/
    A month-long celebration in support of kiting. Features an event calendar, information and materials to help organizing kite events, kite history, materials for teachers, simple kite plans, image gallery for kites, games and activities for kids.

Screenshot: http://www.avivadirectory.com/annie-scam/1184.PNG

3 minutes later, on May 25, 2007 10:36:30 AM, the following was added to Aviva by annie:

National Kite Month
    http://www.nationalkitemonth.org/
    April is a month-long celebration in support of kiting. Features a calendar, materials for organizing an event, an overview and timeline of kite history, materials for teachers, including simple kite plans and images of kites, and games and activities for children.

http://www.avivadirectory.com/detail/link-24524.html

popotalk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.