1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

It's official Google has opened up a can of whoop ass on directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dave E, Sep 2, 2007.

1. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am just speaking always for myself and whoever gets hit I really am sorry but that is how I feel.

The industry became infested especially with all those bidding directories that came. Many of the directory owners I have spoken too agreed to this. Then it was follow the leader and lets be true it was for the money and not for anything else. (Cause don't BS me of quality because there is no quality in bid) Bidding Directories made ONE OF THE CAUSES of the infestation that happened and all it was targeting was promoting gambling and it fell into the hands of the wrong people which became later a spamming contest of the people involved. MONEY is whats its all about and they have to chase high PR Links to get that shit into popularity leading everyone to believe that it was ok. And their came the blind followers of saying "your the best" "this is well promoted" "have high PR backlinks" and the next thing you know everybody went to throw the money away as much as $3000. Is that ok? Is that not openly buying links and making it known to everyone that you have the money to spend to make you look good and have your followers get blinded by the ways ? It fell to the wrong hands really and everyone just are not ready for it. But because of MONEY, GREEDINESS, MANIPULATION, DECEPTION the industry got hooked. We became a part of it and it was wrong. And even 2 clowns that is always a cheap spammer that promotes and is specialized on link selling business have posted above me always there to defend and always smart. :rolleyes:

That is one reason in my opinion.

popotalk, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  2. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Agreed but if its not your intention to "sell" links would it really matter. I have two points to make. The first is that its quality not quantity that counts. This is said over and over again but the first time a directory pops up that is 100% quality you all throw your hands up in horror, start sniggering and making rude remark about my mother. The only other factor that has any bearing on this, is time and that why we only charge a one off review fee of $5. It wont always be this way.

Thanks for your civil reply and for allowing me to get my punt in. A bit of green coming your way. My first. :D

workshop, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  3. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    Well said. Now, can't we all just get along? This is getting old watching everyone trash each other. How about helping someone out rather than telling them their directory looks like shit?

threebuckchuck, Sep 6, 2007 IP
    pctec and compostannie like this.
  4. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    popotalk I am not sure why you hold yourself above the others, you buy and sell links like everyone else?

I agree there are a lot of bad things going on in the industry and it can be frustrating to see all these 'fly-by-night' copycats jumping in for a quick buck but I think you are using too much of a broad stroke in condeming everyone involved.

I would say 99.9% of people start directories with the hope of earning money and I don't see anything wrong with that, the problems start with the way they go about doing it and many of them choose to try short-cuts using deceptive ways. It happens in every industry and a good example of that is all the toy recalls and troubles China is having with toys and pet food.

Everyone has a different idea of what good value is, if someone spends $3,000 on a bid for top spot why does that matter to you?

If you don't intend to sell links then make submission free, my guess is you will get 100's of submissions and 99% will not get approved but you will at least get some of the 'quality' submissions you are looking for (1 out of each 100). Yes it should be 'quality' that counts but since people can not read minds and know exactly what your intentions are they have to depend on the way things 'appear'. In life, if it looks like a rose and smells like a rose then 9999 out of 10000 times it will be a rose. By the same rules of comon sense if a directory looks unattractive, unprofessional, unkept, built cheaply, lacking thought and creativity chances are it is a dud and no one will want to invest in it.

Another analogy is some genuis going to a job interview with old smelly pants, uncombed hair and a stained shirt and then wondering why he didn't get hired because he was obviously the smartest (highest quality) applicant. The way things appear will always count to some degree and maybe that guy would get hired if the job entailed working alone in some basement office but generally speaking folks expect a certain basic amount of effort and your site and directory 'appear' to lack that.

I don't see why you can't have a quality resource that looks appealing and has some uniqueness and creativity put into it?

jg123, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  5. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nice post Dave. But as usual the gangs would always be in there. I am used to it already so nothing new.

When I speak the truth I hold myself above ? I already said I HAVE been part of it didn't I ? I am just fed up of the crap thats it.

I posted if you get hit I am sorry but I speak for myself.

Nice reading and I see a good point. Are you doing child labor too ? Do you go as far as putting unhealthy elements in your products ? Are you a part of the broken system that pulls the prices down of the economy using cheap labor and cheap raw materials ?

And Jay I said for you to qoute me is that the bidding directory industry fell to the wrong hands and most of the followers were blinded and just jumped in the wagon. It was a bad experience as it became ONE OF THE ROOTS of SPAMFEST. Most were not ready for that but because of the MONEY that is there it became an infested industry.

popotalk, Sep 6, 2007 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  6. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I feel that just because someone admits they are part of the problem it does not give them the right to simply trash everyone else. Because that is not contructive. I would rather hear some constructive stuff like, "I used to be part of the problem but now I am part of the solution because...."

Bashing everyone else is not going to solve the problem, it probably just adds to it. Negativity breeds negativity....what we need is more support for the good things going on in the industry and less tolerance for the bad things.

For example I tried to call-out the guy that was building dozens of duplicate directories every week with .99 cent .info domains with totally unrelated names on free script/templates. But I still see folks submitting to his directories and I still had people coming into the thread complaining that I am not giving him a chance. He posted that he had a team of coders and editors working with him and custom templates and more were in the works....that was weeks and weeks ago and of course nothing materialized.

What I am trying to say is that if you really care about the industry and changing it then we need to focus more on positive things and less on trying to hurt each other. I don't agree with everything other directory owners do and I have made many mistakes myself but this is all a learning experience and I just don't see any advantage to constantly attacking each other.

jg123, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  7. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    popo, you have a well established directory with lots of additional content, to so well done. These bids rise over time. Nobody really lays $3000 down straight away, they build up over time.

The bid "directories" that show no imagination, no promotion, no traffic to their sites are in it for the money. Just let them do it.

Many people start new projects for the money. I do it for the money partly, but partly as it passes time, gives me satisfaction, and is an income at the end of the day. At work i scrub floors, stack shelves etc, but i do it as i have friends there, aswell as for the money i earn.

I dont think bid directories spoil the paid directory market, same was the free "directories" dont have much affect.

mikey1090, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your definitely right. Really. If you go back to this thread a little bit you will know that i still love the industry. But forward in topic who will tell you vocally as most individuals are arse kissing instead of openly telling which I think does not help at all. My way maybe wrong and I am sorry but someone has to be telling the truth or we all get sucked up in the vacuum.
    Am not your kind of guy for that. If I give less tolerance now more suckers will emerge. Someone has to do the dirty laundry which we all need to wake up. Don't you think that I am not popular with all of you for my reasons which I dont really give a damn. But hey you wake up one day and see that I washed your dishes for you wont you be happy.
    Look at you very vocal and wants change. Thats a good thing isnt it. Before this event you didnt even care and now you do so this is a learning experience as well that you want to give this industry a change too. It hurts now Jay I am too but I will keep saying what I feel.

@mikey
    as an individual your ok but its my opinion that bid directories fell into the wrong hands of people that was not ready for the flight. For me in my opinion it is GAMBLING and I stand by it.

popotalk, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  9. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have always cared and done things to try and help. I have spent a lot of time on SP when directories were being sold with dropped domains and have the 'mean' PM's from the owners of the auctions to prove it.

I have also been here trying to explain the damage scammers are causing to the industry and trying to get more people involved in condeming those actions.

I have also tried to make changes by improving my own back-yard, by releasing a bid directory that was unique in structure and now by launching 3 new niche directory portals (Health Portal, Music Portal, Finance Portal) that offer much more than just links and categories.

I guess you will contiue to do what you think is best, I just worry about all the negative energy being thrown around. It really is not helpful for anyone involved.

jg123, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  10. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your contributions and openess. So you were not a Smart Ass and Bully after all. Nice to know that someone really cares not just to be beautiful in the eyes of the people. I often thought you were part of the GANG but it looks like your not so my apologies.

Don't worry about my negativity I am just a small fish who openly says what I think is right. But beware of the big fishes that makes deception they will be always be there and are stuck and wont be stopped because they will continue to manipulate the industry of their interest no matter if it hurts the industry or not.

popotalk, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  11. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Humans in general are 'out for themselves' but I don't want to become sad and angry thinking everyone is evil, maybe some are just misguided. I will continue to hope that the scammers and unscrupulous folks fade away and that the industry leaders help continue to make this industry strong and successful.

I guess this whole thread has gone a bit off-topic and really we are all letting gooogle pull our strings like we are puppets.

My conclusion thus far is that if gooogle wanted to send a message to directory owners they would have just de-indexed any sites they felt were in violation of their policies. I think they might be looking for a way to level the playing field so directories don't have too much ranking power. I still think directories are a great value and much needed even if gooogle ends up discounting them somewhat.

jg123, Sep 6, 2007 IP
    xc06 likes this.
  12. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    On this Forum in the UK a directory owner has been flooded with 700 requests to de-list and is charging $5 for an "express de-listing"

Very enterprising :rolleyes:

Wealdie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  13. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    But what about content? Surely its more important to allocate limited resources to the most important aspect of a directory, first? Or do you believe that its the look and feel that takes priority? If so why? What is more important in your mind?
    If you have ever tried pissing against the wind its a bit like spending a lazy afternoon on this forum.
    The negatives are there for all to see. But are we really looking for alternatives? I have been at it for one maybe two years and I still get shot down every time I open my big mouth. Maybe it because I dress wrong. :confused: But you, whats your excuse?

workshop, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If it's worth paying to get listed, it should be worth paying to get delisted *shrug* Unless of course he's charging less for the listing review.

So I don't think it's unethical really, a bit in poor taste maybe, but not unethical.

Qryztufre, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  15. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    I didn't say it was unethical - I said it was enterprising :)

Made me smile anyway

Wealdie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  16. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
  17. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    maldives, Sep 6, 2007 IP
    uttoransen likes this.
  18. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i know lol....he got a shock when matt did answer my questions

maldives likes this.
  19. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am not surprised at all. :D:D:D:D

maldives, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  20. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you provide a link to that conversation ?

oops, seen it

I didn't realise it was here on DP, wow !!

centime, Sep 6, 2007 IP