1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

More and more garbage directories !

Discussion in 'Directories' started by nemolist, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely correct. For example, I just happened to do a Google search for a keyword of mine, and a directory link to my site came up on Google's first page. This happens often. Not "garbage" at all. Some are, of course, but the OP shouldn't tar all directories with the same brush.

Jim4767, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  2. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Would it be fair to say that there are without doubt quite a lot of 'garbage' directories out there, one's with non descript names for example that people buy just because they have PR6 or something, they then go whack a directory on there and sell links for the PR value nothing else.

The Pheonix, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  3. randfish

randfish Peon

Best Answers:
    randfish, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  4. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's not waste of time and money

You are always on wrong side and you fail to understand how directories are useful!

There are many directories probably more than 10,000 are out there and in my opinion they together have more quality than Dmoz and other niche directories!

Niche directories if like Business.com are useful but small niche directories for a particular segment like mobile phones are useless as they will not be popular and also they do not have all information related to the particular niche and they will usually fail because of their revenue model.

Freewebspace, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  5. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lol Rand now you included phpld and all other directory scripts as garbage and not only Aviva now you specify KwikGoblin as well. So you think your the best SEO out there.(reminds me of I AM THE GREATEST :confused:) If most of us here are Garbage in your Eyes I might think of you as the HOUSEFLY who sucks in the Garbage then.

Be careful Rand a lotta here might boycott the name Rand Fishkin and SEOMOZ. or maybe ALL might BLOG SEOMOZ as the SUCKER HOUSEFLY of GARBAGE Directories. :D (except if there are suckers who might suck out of the housefly):eek:

I gave you a red repp and signed it.

I have to edit this since in the other forum Aviva is not ranked in competitive off keyword as stated so here goes.

Keyword for that Why there it is top for its keyword. :D

popotalk, Jul 25, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  6. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hello...

Lol... Rand

Let me tell you what i think...

You got "shuned" by our community for going paid with your Page strength tool...
    (which you had every right ... but your style and grace or timing was lacking and you where labeled a QBC )

Now you come back talking rubbish after you got your ass handed to you by others comments here on threads...
    ( i understand your frustration but 2 wrongs dont make a right, and most already know whos who here )

I dont agree with 70% off your comments and see you as a frustrated man on a hell bent mission that will not go very far
    and over the incident that occured earlier...

I think an0n had the best comment in the other thread when he said ... Whatever

laterz
    malcolm

malcolm1, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  7. overdrive

overdrive Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, all these people bashing our directories because they themselves have failed. Its a very common practice to try to put down others when you do not succeed at something. That practice is so common that it is usually labeled as childish......that is all for me!

overdrive, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  8. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    While there are an awful lot of bad directories that would be perfect examples of what you've written, there are good directories being run by people who really care about providing a good resource with good content. Randfish, I think you forgot that little detail. ;)

compostannie, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  9. Freewebspace

Best Answers:
    Yes I agree with you ,Malcolm

It seems that he is frustrated by our comments,Let me tell one thing to all of you ,

His data depends upon others data(mainly Yahoo ,Alexa and PR)

If Yahoo,Alexa and Google is wrong ,Page strength would be also wrong!
    Examples:

Let me take two example sites A and B which has been submitted to 1000 free and paid directories combined

SiteA:
    The site A has a over 1000 links in free directories and paid directories
    but less than
    a)5000 back links
    b)less PR (less than 5)
    c)Alexa>1,00,000
    d)no edu,no gov links

It would have a PS of less than 2-3.,But the site A would be a good one ,as it has been reviewed and approved in over 1000 free directories (1000 individual editors has reviewed the site)

But now think about reverse

Site B:

The site B has less than 10 links in directories

a)more than 100,000 back links
    b)more PR (PR of 7)
    c)Alexa<50,000 (by inflating figures)
    d)more than 10,20 edu gov links

It would have a PS of more than 5 ,But the site B would not be a good one ,as it has been reviewed and approved in over 50 directories (50 individual editors has reviewed the site)

Which site is better between these two?

1)SiteA -> over 1000 links in directories

2)SiteB->less than 50 links in directories

which site is better?
    The site A would be better as it has been reviewed by more than 1000 individual editors(1000 links in directories(both Paid and free)

This is were PS,PR and Alexa fails!

10. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hahaha-- Jude --don't worry mate. Its not only Mr. Rand who knows how to blog and attack us. I have blogged about his SEOMOZ too and how it sucks and how useess it is.:D:p -- I'll announce my post only when it ranks in top 25 on Google for the term SEOMOZ.

jhnrang, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  11. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Agreed...

many of us are trying our hardest to become the best of the best..
    and thiers never enough time in the day or night..

Its never an easy task keeping up with technology and essentials needed
    for being that top 10-50 directiories

I honestly feel that directories are one off the best resources for getting higher
    Serp positions in all engines not just "Matts" oppps i mean google :) and are
    and always will be the best source of human interaction and seal of approval

thx
    malcolm

12. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'd rather see 100 trash directories, vs 100 trash cj scrapper sites ;)

Brandon Sheley, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  13. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Jhrang...

Just be more educated and responsible with any comments so as to
    prove a point rather then backlashing like what was done by him.
    (talking shit will get nothing in return and just confuse people ;))

thx
    malcolm

14. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    So i guess what your trying to say is that all directories and websites that carry or carried his banner were ???
    Is the word link bait correct? just to build his FREE backlinks....:eek: lol its all in the marketing i suppose

Im still trying to figure out why he dont like kwikgoblen knowing that its Jeffs
    and also knowing that jeff is the one who helped him and his tool...

And now, a few examples of directories I suspect don't pass much link juice (or, if they do now, may not always in the future):

tenthyear.com

smittyzweb.com
    kwikgoblin.com

Then in this post...

Below are my personal criteria for determining the value of a directory:

Selective – it's hard to get in, because the editors carefully review the quality and value of including each site that's submitted.
    Yahoo! & DMOZ would be good examples of selective directories
    (though DMOZ is often far too picky, and my main strategy at that site used to be bribing editors :eek:, so they're not a perfect choice).
    Other directories may be even tougher to get on, like Nature.com's recommended links or the Forbes Best of the Web and some might be easier, like Emily Chang's eHub or Business.com. My view is that all of these provide solid value.

Well i dont know....
    but if you were to submit your site into my Pet Directory then i would have to reject your site...
    as its tailored just for "pets and animals" not SEO... and i guess you mean Niche sites rather then general

As i said above in the first few threads its my suspicion that you are just trying to retaliate more so then speak
    knowledgeable facts concerning web directories and whatever your intentions i simply cant agree with your theory.

thx
    malcolm

15. Freewebspace

Best Answers:

But we need to look at other directories also

There are about 10,000's of directories some might be bad and some might be good!

Good ones can be easily found out by a number of methods like quality of the listings in thatd irectory! (Not by PS,PR backlinks,Alexa)

I just only realized how Good these directories are When my bot indexed some of it

I am pretty sure that 1000 directories combined together would have more value than Dmoz or others!

16. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    If you remember what "matt cutts" said about quality...

He made mention that those whom just add sites for the sake of making a fast buck rather then help would be punished for allowing trash to rank higher
    then what it does and defeats the total purpose of the review as well as the directory itself... In short quality over quantity...;)

I agree with your point as sooner or later quantity in numbers will have the same impact as quality of a few... ( but in the end Quality will prevail )

thx
    malcolm

17. purdue512

purdue512 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that's a fair point (Matt's quote that you've referenced). But sometimes what I think actually brings quality to the web, someone else views as "not so great."

p.s. I think that tempers are a little hot on this thread. Can't we all just have our own opinions and get along?

purdue512, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  18. Freewebspace

Best Answers:
    There are many ways to detect those kind of persons who add link among themselves or mass approve links

a)Suppose if a directory has a total outgoing links of 500 on 1st of month
    And on 5th of the month if it suddenly jumps to more than 3000 or higher then it would clearly indicate that the site is making quick buck!

b)Also the value of listings means value of that websites in the directory

C) A good site listed in one directory will be also listed in other directories
    But a spammy site listed in one directory will not be listed by others.

By this way we can detect which directories are good and which are not!

I have also some other methods to detect it!

19. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    a) I disagree...

Reason being that if go and add 100 links or banners and my traffic spikes then i should be punished?
    doesn't make sense as theirs other variables that must be taken into account for your algo to be accurate...

b) Yes 100% correct

c) Good assumption... :D
    But what happens if i did like 20 paid review directories and a few freebies? what happens then?
    Am i considered spam cause my budget only allowed me a few?

you will have to also figure out other alternatives or percentages for it to work
    but i have faith in your abuilties to have a good search spider or whatever your doing now... :)

thx
    malcolm

20. Freewebspace

Best Answers:

you misunderstood my first point

a) My point is that on free directories the sudden increase in no of links in a directory can be sucessfully tracked by algorithims.Some free directory owners do not approve links regularly and they mass approve the links about 500/1000 without reviewing the sites .This shows that the directory owner is not looking at the quality of sites.so the listings from the directory will generally have a lower value.

b)20 paid directories and few freebies
    We do consider paid directories and free directories equally.

If your budget allows only 20 paid directories why can't you submit your site to 1000's of free directories that are available by yourself.

If your are not interested in submitting your site to 100's of free directories ,it shows that your are less interested in developing a site as your are not allowing your site to be reviewed by 1000's of editors

It will be quite impossible for a spammy site to get listed about 25% of 10000 free directories as most of the directory owners would not approve a spammy site only a few would do it(100/1000 free directories)

The only difference between paid directories and free directories is paid directories review your links in a short span of time and also gives the listing 100% quality to it whereas free directories takes much longer time to review your site and also some quality.(some established ones above PR3)