1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Drupal vs. Mambo

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by Ian, Jul 15, 2005.

For anyone here who has used both, which one do you prefer?

Ian

Ian, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  2. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So far...Drupal! (by far)

uca, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  3. jared

jared Peon

Best Answers:
    Overal I would say Drupal is a bit more powerful and the PHPtemplate engine it can use is great. But Mambo seems to be a bit more user friendly and is 'easier on the eyes'.

Both of them are really powerful. Drupal's website is much easier to navigate (for themes/modules) compared to mambo's.

I have tried them both, but neither seems to be what I needed :(

jared, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  4. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Well that's the problem with CMSs. It takes a lot of time to get used to a system for a good judgement.
    One of thte things I value better is the ease of use. I think it's one of the most important factors as the main point of using a CMS is saving time so if it's hard to learn you are going to risk wasting so much time and then maybe realizing that it doesn't suit your needs enough and have to move on...
    Well Drupal looks easy, Mambo looks fairly complicated, that's my impression.

Anyway I find Drupal better than Mambo for your eyes too!:)

uca, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  5. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    drupal is great.

Shoemoney, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  6. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    Prefer for what? I guess mambo is better for some websites, drupal for others. I have only used Drupal so far, but IMHO Drupal is more used for community websites and Mambo for content websites, which is of course just general difference and doesn't prevent you to use it vice versa.
    First you need to know what you want, than decide on which CMS will fit best.

subseo, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  7. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:

I think that is a great mini review... well said

Shoemoney, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  8. Abilnet

Abilnet Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello :)

Sorry for this quite similar post of an other post of mine, but I feel this is relevant here as well.

So, during the years, I've personally tested several CMS-systems and decided to use Mambo for many of my sites ( onlineloantoday.com for example)... why? ...a lot of free templates and components available, easy to set up, configure etc. Mambo is actually quite a good choise, if you're on shared hosting and want to do most things just by a couple of mouse clicks. However, Mambo has its limitations (no multi-site features or "real" user permissions, for example) and it's quite hungry for server resources. It's also a sort of nightmare to maintain tens of different installations with Mambo.

After about two active years with Mambo our team decided to change from Mambo to Drupal ( drupal.org )... it's far more professional and flexible... and most important, from our developers point of view, it's superior with clear and well documented API's, quality code etc... (it means, you have a great platform and codebase to build some professional extensions, special features etc.)

With Drupal, you can set up several sites with only one installation ...think about that, when you have tens of sites and security holes are found almost daily! ...what about then, when you quickly need to uppdate some additional components / modules / themes... you actually face a lot of work in Mambo - in Drupal you do it only once.

With Drupal, you can (if you want to) use the same log-in-details for different sites... in some cases it opens quite interesting possibilities.

Drupal has also SEO-friendly URL's out of the box... for Mambo, you need to buy a commercial component from a core developer or use labor-intensive free ones.

Someone mentioned, that Drupal is focused on communities... you're right... however, it does not mean, you can't use Drupal for content sites. Actually, Drupal is a great choise also for content sites. I can't imagine Mambo as a natural community building system, though.

When talking about user profiles and permissions to different parts of the site, Mambo is actually a joke... on the other hand, Drupal is the opposite... it's so easy to set up and fine tune different user-roles and give them some permisssions etc... what a power.

However, Drupal is not the easiest one to set up and learn and realize all the possibilities... and to get the most out of it, it's a good idea to have a dedicated server.

Hope this helps :)

Abilnet, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  9. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    First time looking at Drupal for me. It's excellent looking. I can't stand Mambo. I tried to use it and the interface is just impossible.

RectangleMan, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  10. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I used Drupal and found it too dull to bother with. I used Mambo and found it to be too sexy with not enough substance.

In the end, I settled on 3 things.

1. On one site, I use phpBB as a CMS -- posts are automagically turned into content pages.
    2. I use Movable Type for a corporate site (agitar.com).
    3. I use Textpattern for most new deployments. It's sorta halfway between being just a blog system and a CMS, and it works just fine for me.

Although I'm very green with Textpattern, I've started using it because I dislike the other systems I've tried. Anyway, that's probably not too helpful, since you've asked for Drupal vs. Mambo. But "none of the above" might be an answer worth noticing.

-Tony

aboyd, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  11. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Good topic. I've always wondered which is better and it looks as if Drupal is winning so far.

TwisterMc, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  12. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Funny cuz I sort of do the same thing. I can pretty much explode phpbb into a full cms. I think MT is pretty decent but screw perl. Do they have a php version yet? I actually bought my own CMS called Cigmas that I am upgrading...it's a video game CMS but it has potential for a lot more. I have clients using it to and so the CMS will eventually not only pay for itself, but I can use it as often as I want for my own sites.

I stopped really using CMS's about 2 years ago. My core programs are OSC, PHPBB, and Cigmas now. I can throw in others too like coppermine for a gallery and I would rather put together custom parts than run an open source CMS that I have to upgrade all the time. It's bad enough upgrading phpbb monthly (those bastards).

RectangleMan, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  13. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, MT works, but it's inelegant. I consider Textpattern to be a more modern, PHP version of MT.

You know, you can use EasyMod to push those phpBB upgrades through real quick. Or use the patch files -- those are great for sites which have been heavily modded, because the patch tool can use what it calls "fuzz" to figure out what code to change.

(Oh, uh, sorry, we're veering OT.)

-Tony

aboyd, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  14. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Don't mean to get off topic, but does anyone now a good site that compares CMS systems?

15. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  16. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the link. ;)

17. greentwinkie

greentwinkie Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, they're using Mambo! :) . I have to say it's my favorite too.

As for comparing CMS I prefer http://cmsmatrix.org/ ; much more detailed.

greentwinkie, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  18. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, that's good, but they have a glaring hole. They do not list TextPattern, which is one of the best CMS engines out there right now. Still, it's interesting to pit Mambo against Movable Type and WordPress, just to see old-school versus sorta-new-school.

http://textpattern.com/

-Tony

aboyd, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  19. Abilnet

Abilnet Peon

Best Answers:
    Some additional ideas when comparing Drupal vs. Mambo... these quick opinions are based on years with Mambo, Drupal and other CMS - these are also some of the reasons why our team (some of them High End developers) changed from Mambo to Drupal as development platform.

Use Mambo when:
    * you don't know about the tech stuff at all
    * you want easy install & setup with your mouse
    * you don't want to learn the tool you're using
    * you don't need to integrate other scripts etc. to your site
    * you want a candy site and don't mind several other sites using the same template(s)
    * you don't need SEO out of the box
    * you don't care about server resources
    * you're running (or planning to to run) only one or max a couple of sites
    * you don't need one log-in to several sites
    * you don't need user groups & permissions
    * you don't run membership site(s)

Use Drupal when:
    * you want a rock solid & high quality platform for your sites
    * you want or need a real multi-site-feature (only one installation for several sites)
    * you need any kind of user groups & user permissions
    * you need to run also membership- and community sites, not only CMS etc
    * you want a Powerful templating system
    * you're ready to invest a bit of your time in order to realize all the huge possibilities of Drupal
    * you understand the meaning of clear, high quality code and API (easy to integrate with other solutions etc)
    * you want flexibility and don't like limitations

Well.. there are a lot more reasons, but these for starters.. hope you got the idea :D

PS. I'm not saying Mambo has no use... actually, I'm still using it for several old sites of mine, why change if it works. All the new sites go to Drupal, though ;)

Abilnet, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  20. elavenil

elavenil Peon

Best Answers:
    i installed mambo on some site it is very easy and i like it, i never used drupal

elavenil, Jul 30, 2005 IP