1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking to build a list of Directories that only have unique content

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ! Ask !, Feb 20, 2007.

1. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have duplicated content then PR and backlinks will decide the winner, this is way Dmoz ranks well and Dmoz clones don’t. Who gets penalized are the clones not Dmoz.

And basically if you don’t have unique content you are nothing more than one “human scrapper” and you would get the same results as scrapping 200 directories automatically with a script.

! Ask !, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  2. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sure !Ask! Yours a winner. :rolleyes:

Don't show me about DMOZ unless your placing your bet. :D

popotalk, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  3. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Then you can reject those links and return their payment.

Do you tell your site submitters that "we will change your description " ??

MeetHere, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  4. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The way it's handled here is that, if I was to go grocery shopping, you will be right behind me picking stuff that I din't have in mind buying. In another words, when a submitter submit a site into your directory you will dismiss what "content" they give you and replace it with what you think is the best for you and them? Seems as if "insecurity" is the real keyword here. Although, this could have some benefits, depends on how good you are in writting the descriptions, but sooner or later the more listing you will have duplication will evolve, as you will run out of words to describe each descriptions for each of the sites that will be listed or be short, but as I said it will be duplicated one way or another and there are no magic potion that will prevent duplicate contents. I give them what they pay for and for the most part thats the way it should be, and yes I do edit the crazy stuff..ie, too many keywords.

wwws, Feb 21, 2007 IP
    iceberg likes this.
  5. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yah this happens when someone wins something suddenly becoming BIG !!

6. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    I think it is awesome that we all have different opinions on this, it is what makes the internet so special. Yes everyone is unique but if you type the same content over and over then your words aren't.

G has the ability to translate so I would not say that you can put your description in a different language to beat the filter. Even if you did it would be worthless as keywords would not be passed from language to language.

Speaking of originality, A tip of the hat to you popo as you have the best avatar I have seen on this forum. I've been meaning to comment on that for a while.

Iceberg: Sure 200-300 character descriptions will be treated as "substantial blocks of contents". They show up in copyscape which uses the google api. Also, most directories place 10 descriptions on the same page, all duplicates. That will make each page get flagged multiple times, I would say that is pretty bad in the engine's eyes.

My directory is not full of unique content because of my rss feeds that keep the content fresh and spiders returning, though I don't think I will be penalized for this.

I am not beating my chest or trying to proclaim that my directory is the best out there, just trying to share my point of view. I do think my directory is pretty damn cool and unique though :D

ErectADirectory, Feb 21, 2007 IP
    popotalk likes this.
  7. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    !ASK! I'm lookng at your directory, it seems as if your shuffling the words around and it's very short in details. You use the words "Offers" "Provides" quite often, repeating over and over again. And to be honest, each sentence starts with those two words.

This goes on and on. It seems you objective is to be unique from other web directories, but your descriptions keeps repeating.

I can go on and on.;)

wwws, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  8. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not against one wanting unique content for their directory, if the owner has time to do so then go for it. As for me, I will edit descriptions from time to time but only to make the description a little more relevant to the category or to delete all the keywords people sometime use as a description. Other than that I will most likely leave it as it is. I do not see google giving out dup content penalties unless that page 100% duplicated from another site, so as long as you are not scraping someone elses directory then you should never have worry about a penalty.

banless, Feb 21, 2007 IP
    iceberg and amitpatel_3001 like this.
  9. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    And what is the problem with that? better to have the same description that is in another 1,000 directories :)

! Ask !, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  10. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    ! Ask !, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    WOW!! That is kind of a big blow to SKAFFE assuming that half or less than half are Editors at DMOZ. So it means DMOZ editors are scraping from other directories as well. YOU DMOZ Editors have no Originality said by !Ask!

Also is your template from vegabond stoneflash base ?

12. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    The pages are identical or not? The same sites listed and the same descriptions even the “7032” number is the same.
    What this as to do with the thread subject?

! Ask !, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  13. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We were talking about "Originality weren't we;)

wwws, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  14. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    banless, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  15. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Asking a stupid question-does my site pass? - criticdirectory.com

FOX LORE, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  16. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's NO Problem !Ask! even in DMOZ there are what you call Repeat Performance in descriptions. Yet they don't bother. Search Monster and other well established directories don't too. I just don't know why you insist your site to be original when it doesn't.

Directory Dump, Directory Dump, Directory Dump, Directory Dump !!! (Levi's Jeans Mark with Trademark :D )

Already answered. :D

17. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Busy thread lots of interest the last 3 times I checked the thread