1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo Update

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by seoindia, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I am on my 4th straight week of 0 (nuda, nothing, didly, zero) referrers from Yahoo, after being a top ten runner for YEARS.

The odd thing is I am NOT hearing about this in any other online communities. I have tried searching high a nd low for additional news and can't seem to find much:confused:. Is DP the only community that is seeing this?

Homer, Jun 27, 2005 IP
  2. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't seen many changes for any of my sites other than moving up to #2 for one KW (Bala Shark) for just one of my sites.

Web Gazelle, Jun 27, 2005 IP
  3. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    The only change I have noticed has to do with my main site. The industry it is in is called the audience response industry. Interestingly, there is a company in the industry called Audience Response Systems, Inc.

If I search for audience response systems (my #1 keyphrase) I come in at #1. But, if I use initial caps, as in my competitor's name, they come in first.

This is the only search I have found that is case sensitive.

/*tom*/

longcall911, Jun 27, 2005 IP
  4. hmilesjr

hmilesjr Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am beginning to believe that Yahoo! has some kind of aging or sandbox filter for links. My site homepage after getting approved for the directory, jumped from #60 to #20 for the term "auto insurance" then a few days later vanished.

Now the only listings I can find are subpages. I have been aggressively building links directed to my homepage, and very few to internal pages which I feel could be the cause for the drop. I did tinker with my html code, but that was after the drop occurred.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

hmilesjr, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  5. my3cents

my3cents Peon

Best Answers:
    I know they recently did a big in-house cleanup and banned a bunch of sites. One of mine got booted from the search results. I emailed them about it, they said it was probably due to a penalty for breaking their rules. Here is the link they gave me...

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/basics/basics-18.html

They went on to say I could resubmit my site to be evaluated again, however this option appears to cost money... Maybe money was their incentive for doing this in the first place... ;-)

They would not tell me what my site was doing wrong.. so I went through the list above and made sure I was clean... In this case, I had some old domain names pointing to my site from years ago, so I think they may have considered that dup content across multiple domains. So I changed all that. We will see. I will update if I make any progress...

my3cents, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  6. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I sent them mail yesterday to ask what happened and questioned them about some details? No reply so far. I'll let you know, but I don't expect a positive outcome due to their behaviour since months.

They try to appear honest but - are they?

Arnie, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  7. Jonson

Jonson Banned

Best Answers:
    Anybody is there to answer my question,that Yahoo has been giving different SERP results these days.
    Our site has lost the positions at Yahoo from last 1 week and there is no changes in the positions of Google.
    From the last one year we are at top position at Yahoo and last week no position at all?y?
    Help me out with the exact reason?

Jonson, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  8. Jonson

Jonson Banned

Best Answers:
    wht exactly happened with Yahoo interms of SERp results?
    Anybody know about this?

Jonson, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  9. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Read the posts from coopGuy. He's on track about this subjects among others in this forum.

Arnie, Jul 5, 2005 IP
  10. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    Yahoo went to pot. To put it plain, they suck! That is the only explaination to the crap results they have be giving lately.

Web Gazelle, Jul 5, 2005 IP
  11. chris45

chris45 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo came before Google and Ask Jeeves, right? now there service is slowly sucking over the years.

chris45, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  12. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    I thought Google was first. Yahoo was powered by Google for quite sometime.

Web Gazelle, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  13. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo paved the way actually. I remember when it was the ugliest place on the internet at one time.

Infiniterb, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  14. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    I'd just like to add something here. After this update happened, I threw about 50k weight at this one page I had never piointed co-op to before. The domain was still doing well with yahoo before the weight was pointed. That page now brings over 1000 unique from Yahoo daily. Been consistent for over 10 days now.

This seems to suggest that Yahoo's dropping of sites with massive links was a one time thing.

Newly created pages on unaffected domains are not being filtered regardless of the 100s of thousands of quickly acquired links.

Probably means that coopguy's experiment will fail, and that site will not get banned. Just my opinion...

spdude, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  15. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Does that mean if i drop all the current ads im running for my website. And change them and point them at different urls my rankings will come backagain in Yahoo:eek:

crazyhorse, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  16. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    Prop up other pages on an unaffected domain.. and point all links towards these other pages. If you're dealing with 50-100k weight.. then chances are the rankings will come back in Yahoo for those new pages. Maybe not as strong as what they were on the old pages though.

spdude, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  17. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok couldnt it just be aging filter just like google has. The more links you add the higher you rank. After two or three months you ll be topping for each term cuase the aging filter or dropped or has more strength. Did you ever try pointing more weight to the same page you targeted before but then double the weigth and see what it does. I know i havnt and i currently cant but im a more a strong believer that this is some aging filter and will gain power again over time. If it is a bann why keep indexing the pages. Drop them instantly i would say. And i still get traffic from yahoo. So far 500 to 600 visitors. G is sending me 60k so far. I ll try your approach and see what it can do. ;)

18. SEOGuru

SEOGuru Peon

Best Answers:
    You could be right spdude. The site I'm targeting went from 46k links to almost 200k links so far and hasn't budged one spot up or down. But also keep in mind that Yahoo hasn't done there update yet. Sometimes they do daily or weekly shifts but it is the next major index (or update or whatever people call it) that I'm waiting for. It is quite possible the the experiment could fail and the massive bans were a one-time, knee-jerk reaction by Yahoo to attempt to clean up their results. Not sure if it really worked out for them though. haha

SEOGuru, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  19. West_of_Willamette

West_of_Willamette Peon

Best Answers:
    ...my previously nuked website is now showing 4 pages in Yahoo...3 links pages and my privacy policy.

Don't know if this means anything but...

West_of_Willamette, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  20. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Could be but mine got 70k indexed and im not getting the same traffic as i had before. I guess ther is a reasonable differnce between ranking and getting indexed.