1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free Coop Advertising Network

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by digitalpoint, Jul 8, 2004.

1. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Shawn, could you provide some info, like:
    How many sites are currently in rotation ? (This would be a simple addition to the acct info - perhaps it's worth including).
    My other questions are: given the weighting being influenced by factors such as site size and popularity, how are these determined ?
    And, in terms of reciprocation, if I provide 40,000 impressions a day, will I see this in return ?
    I know you're trying to minimize overhead, but howabout simple theme/category controls ?

Cheers,
    JL.

john_loch, Jul 12, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    56 sites are currently in rotation (some with as much as 100,000 pages with ads on them).

The biggest factor is number of pages that are offered for serving ads on the network.

The weighting across the network are not based on traffic of the site, but instead based on size (primarily) of the site. (Or at least hoe many pages are serving ad network ads). One reason for this is impressions are not logged on the backend. For high traffic sites (for example phpbb forums, or vBulletin forums that wanted to run them site-wide), I'm working on putting together something that will cut down on the server load to the ad server for the high traffic sites.

As far as theming, it will probably happen at some point, but need to get enough sites into the system first to make it worthwhile.

digitalpoint, Jul 12, 2004 IP
  3. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Okidoki.

I just registered my .au Real Estate site. Let's' see how it goes :)

4. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Ummmmm ... so one's "score" is much higher if you have it on a bazillion pages (which may be accessed one time) rather than one page (which may be accessed a bazillion times).

Now that I think about I guess this kinda makes sense, since you are doing a Page Rank/Anchor Text play here and are targetting getting into the search engines, more than going for actual user impressions - right?

hulkster, Jul 12, 2004 IP
  5. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you hit the nail on the head.

More pages = higher weight = more impressions across the network.

IMO, this ad network is about having the search engines pick up the links…with the potential for actual live visitors to click on the ads as a secondary benefit.

GuyFromChicago, Jul 12, 2004 IP
  6. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:

Which is good, but (probably just coincidence), I'm noticing a hell of a lot of DP links in the mix. Not that I mind a little generosity where DP is concerned, but I'm curious as to what percentage remains for the pool.

Shawn ?

7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The Digital Point ads are not weighted any higher than the rest. If you see the ad that actually says "Digital Point Solutions", that one shows as a default for someone without any ads (someone approved for the network, but has not yet created their ads).

8. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    OK, that was frighteningly easy.

I've set it up for one of my web sites... fifteen to go? :cool:

Will.Spencer, Jul 12, 2004 IP
  9. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    That brings to mind yet another feature request.

I would definitely like to be able to block ads from undesirable advertisers.

Will.Spencer, Jul 12, 2004 IP
  10. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Ah ! That explains it. Thanks Shawn, I figured there had to be a reason. Actually, I can provide some useful feedback for you..

I was creating an ad, and had selected text. I filled in the URL and Anchor text fields, and submitted. I found it odd that the ad didn't appear in the 'ad pool' and figured it was just because it needed your validation.

I did this again after registering, just to be certain, but again nothing. It then dawned on me that it may need a DESCRIPTION, so I went back again, added a description, and voilla, my ad appeared in the pool.

As I don't care to have the description included, ie, I'm featuring links only, it didn't occur to me that I might have to complete the description field.

Perhaps some feedback in the interface to say, "Please include a description to lodge your ad" or something like that. Just laugh at me being stupid if in fact there's a big sign somewhere I missed - it's just that I know you're validating these manually.. so it's kinda difficult to guess what's what when going at it for the first time.

Cheers,
    JL.

11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah... planning on adding some new things (including feedback on incomplete ads).

12. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure that the significance of what you're doing here has dawned on your greater readership just yet. Perhaps this should be circulated a bit more..

Either way, I'm glad to see a linkage op consistent with linkage realities. Linkage per entry point, rather than per site is essential for larger sites. The irony of this is you're providing what the paid solutions don't.

I'm keen to see how it pans out :)

john_loch, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  13. vprp

vprp Peon

Best Answers:
    Couldn't find this anywhere but if I have one forum, could I promote multiple forums with different ads or can I only use one ad?

vprp, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  14. jonnyplatt

jonnyplatt Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry to go back so many pages - i've been away. I'm afraid I think you misunderstood me - what I meant is how are the ads tracked (ie which login is providing how many ad sites across how many pages) if you are not passing any parameters or basing it on the host and I have them coming from various subdomains? (and infact, some from giveasyouget.co.uk and some from giveasyouget.net?)

jonnyplatt, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  15. vprp

vprp Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry for posting the question. I just decided to sign up and check things out and I guess you can post multiple ads. Looks like my golf forum will definitely be a part of this.

vprp, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  16. jonnyplatt

jonnyplatt Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, yet another silly question - how do you make it display more than one text ad, as on Compar's InfoPool page? (or is that caused by the Text Banner rather than Text Link option?)

17. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If you have them on different domains, you would want to create different accounts (at least if you want credit for them), as it only looks for them within the URL you signed up with.

digitalpoint, Jul 13, 2004 IP
  18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's not a supported option at this time.

19. jonnyplatt

jonnyplatt Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I don't understand if you mean different logins for each host or different logins for each individual subdomain.
    I can appreciate the .co.uk/.net split is a difficult thing to deal with but is there any way you could use eregi in your php script to detect the host - that way I could pop in giveasyouget.co.uk and it would log travel.giveasyouget.co.uk, books.giveasyouget.co.uk, etc.giveasyouget.co.uk - and those that typed in the full host - www.giveasyouget.co.uk - would be unaffected?

20. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The ad requests don't necessarily come from the host (and in most cases they don't because most things are virtual hosting these days). So that wouldn't work.