1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The digg effect

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by Avatar Viper, Oct 5, 2006.

Another has made their article or site on digg front page before??? I know if you made it to their front page, you will have at lease 10k unquie hits? But what about the click and amount you earn??? Can someone share their experience?

2. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    I would assume people browsing on Digg are interested in being entertained for a brief while, free of charge.

You would be hard-pushed to make any money off of them imho.

Whatever your website is about, find the places on the web where the largest number of people interested in it will be - it would be a far more effective and targetted.

E.g. That dream interpretations website of yours. Search around for forums on dream interpretations, create posts in them that are compelling and that will invoke lots of responses, and naturally link your website in or include it in your signature.

It would beat gambling on Digg and even if you did get on the front page, the traffic would be so untargetted it would probably be a waste of bandwidth if nothing else, although it may generate some links for you I guess.

Pete

GADOOD, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  3. Ohene

Ohene Guest

Best Answers:
    Diggers HATE spam, hate hate hate.

Unless you are selling something very unique, ie; the creator / pubisher.. you're not going to make much money.

Ohene, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  4. anversli

anversli Active Member

Best Answers:
    Last week I had 10k for 2 days from digg.com but the CTR was only 0.01, only positive thins is you getting alot backlinks thats it.

anversli, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  5. adfunk

adfunk Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm getting farked once and i get 27K of unique on 1 day and got my adsense increase about 3 to 4 dollar but i like free backlink more, looking to get more farked!

adfunk, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  6. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    You get backlinks..thats cool but it is VERY hard to get front page.

Look how many new stories are submitted

digg.com/view/all/upcoming

4000 now, a new story every 10 seconds. Good luck.

IamNed, Oct 5, 2006 IP
    ahkip likes this.
  7. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    My site made digg front page several times and I think I got about 20 extra clicks on avereage each time. I also made slashdot and after 100K uniques and 150K page views I had an extra 350 clicks.

Roman, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  8. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digg traffic isn't very targetted, so CTR will always be pretty low.

qwestcommunications, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  9. James Woods

James Woods Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah I agree with the above.

If you're spamming some crap site you made just to make money,you won't get far. However, if you write a well-informed article and it's good, you could make it. SEO blogs etc and the usual garbage I see on here won't go far with Digg, they are savvy and hip to this.

James Woods, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  10. cmorley

cmorley Peon

Best Answers:
    Many diggers are there just to digg and make stupid comments. They go to stories but they don't read. If some digger say some critical comment then they all jump on it and vote for it but no real input. Hence these are visitors with a very short attention span.

cmorley, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  11. James Woods

James Woods Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah they are idiots over there, the comments system is ridiculous. I've seen comments voted down that should never have been voted down at all. Real bad mentality over there. It's as if a hardcore set of people have created this elitist commuinty where they really run the site. That's why Digg will never last, why Netscape (even though they suck too) can overtake them in terms of users. Right now Digg has a large userbase, but of that userbase how many actually comment etc, and how many actually come back. I used to frequent the site for a month or so, got bored and left. The site looks average, there is nothing great about it, there is no news that I cannot find on any other site I go on. Digg is a site with no soul, where people link to other articles on sites that are run by people who actually contribute well written articles etc. The Digg community is snobbish, rude and elitist. I say no to Digg.

12. Computer(Jew)

Computer(Jew) Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got hit hard by stumbleupon.com's traffic for several days ...

Computer(Jew), Oct 5, 2006 IP
  13. James Woods

James Woods Banned

Best Answers:
    but did you make anything?

14. Computer(Jew)

Best Answers:
    Well not much , the site that was hit is a content site , adsense , so there are no conversions to real money(less than 100$) , but additional 7k uniques is nice .

But even the smallest online shop that barely sells 400$-800$ a day would profit at least additional 10k$ from such a surge .

15. James Woods

James Woods Banned

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by "content site", surely all sites are content sites?

16. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    no i see why you hate digg so much...guess i can erase anything you said about digg

ahkip, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  17. James Woods

James Woods Banned

Best Answers:
    no, I wouldn't. Try your luck with them, but they are a really tough crowd. I don't hate Digg, I just think it's all hype personally.

18. Computer(Jew)

Best Answers:
    No ... Few people make a living off content sites .
    A commercial site actually sells real products ... Like ... www.gaysoaps.com ? I used to run it just for kicks (I currently don't) So I would get the 12-20k$ during the holiday season and couple thosands during the year...
    Or Pedalcars.com , I know they had not-so good years , but still around 160-180k$ sells a year , and these are tiny super-niche sites .
    Content+Adsense exists to help advertising real products via Adwords , content is just something that helps the real internet economy ,it's not the economy itself , doh .

19. Ohene

Ohene Guest

Best Answers:
    If you're selling something unique and geeky, you will make some good cash. But if you're trying to push clicks to your ads, you'll be hardpressed.

Ohene, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  20. chewbacca

chewbacca Peon

Best Answers:
    I know this is only slightly related to the original topic, but I heard somewhere that Google will get suspicious if your AdSense units suddenly get thousands of impressions above your usual average. I have a feeling (and maybe some experience) that this is true, but can anyone confirm it?

chewbacca, Oct 6, 2006 IP