1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The rise and fall of a city and a single house...poor Detroit

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by earlpearl, Sep 28, 2009.

earlpearl, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  2. kaethy

kaethy Guest

Best Answers:
    kaethy, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  3. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    That sounds interesting, but this is all I could read...
    It says to read any further, I'll need to buy a subscription to the Wall Street Journal.

Rebecca, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  4. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rebecca: Try this link to the WSJ story through Google News...http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125390841258341665.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Kaethy: The information from Trulia smells fishy to me. I don't live in Detroit or Michigan. I don't know that market. The other information is so dramatically different. They are at odds.

I do know through foreclosure purchases, someone I know has purchased at least several hundred homes in the Detroit area at prices significantly below $10,000/house. He has been slowly reselling them at a profit.

Could Trulia be providing only "selected information". At this point I tend to think that is what it is doing.

earlpearl, Sep 29, 2009 IP
  5. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It's the same - I can read what I quoted above, but if I want to read further, the WSJ wants me to pay for it. It's not that I don't think it's worth it, but I'm in numerous book clubs, and I have books stacked everywhere around the house just waiting to be read - most still in the unopened shipping package. For that reason, I'm not to eager to buy a newspaper subscription right now. Is the point of the article the fact that Detroit home values have gone way down?

Rebecca, Sep 29, 2009 IP
  6. kaethy

kaethy Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree it looks dramatically different. But there are houses in Detroit for next to nothing because they are in TERRIBLE condition. They are NOT ready to move into. And then there are houses that are in move in condition, with nice features, and they are selling for less than what they would have sold for in the past, and the people who buy them are getting a bargain too. In both cases people are getting bargains. That street is an older neighborhood with big homes, some have been maintained and improved, some neglected.
    Trulia may be providing only selected info, but I doubt their info is totally false.

kaethy, Sep 29, 2009 IP
  7. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    Try this copy: I found the last sale and loan particularly interesting: $250,000 loan: $189,000 selling price, a borrower with shaky credit.

That was a BS loan!!!! and why we have the financial crisis

8. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    Kaethy:

I looked further at the Trulia information. I looked at All listings starting from low to high. I saw over 150 homes for sale in Trulia at under $5,000. I looked at recent sales. The bottom sales price was $20,000. I know that isn't accurate. A friend has bought up an inventory of homes at an average of less than $10,000/home. Pretty significantly less.

You are correct. Home prices in a neighborhood can vary greatly on so many factors. Yet, I wouldn't want to pay high in an area where there are a significant number of abandonded homes.

The story grabbed my attention. What is a true picture? I don't know. I suggest with a horrible economy, and a population that is probably shrinking the housing value situation is generally mucho ugly.

Meanwhile, the additional thing that grabbed my attention was the reported last sale. The sellers say they got $189,000. Somewhere there are copies of a settlement sheet on the sale....and there is a deed registered with the city.

Meanwhile loans were made at a total of $250,000. If the sales price is accurate that loan value is nuts. Where did the appraisal come in at?

The loan was made by a finance company. In other words there was no government oversight. When ultra right wing conservatives blame things like CRA....hahaha.....CRA wasn't involved.

Take a couple of million of these crappy @ss loans made by unregulated finance companies...and bingo you have in excess of a $ trillion dollars of serious crappy @ss debt. Hence an enormous financial crisis.

9. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    That's a great article, thanks for posting it for me. I like how they told the story using the history of one house. Buying these properties may be a good investment over time, I guess at those prices how can you lose - but I don't know, who would want to live in Detroit? I read that Detroit is rated as America's most dangerous city - for an average buyer that's actually looking for a house to live in, even $10,000 may not be a good deal for a house you cannot feel safe in.

Rebecca, Sep 29, 2009 IP
  10. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    @ Kaethy and @Rebecca:

Interesting coincidence. Just ran into my friend who has been buying homes in Detroit. We are partners on a couple of things but we are busy in different areas and sometimes rarely speak.

In the midst of a conversation about something I referenced the article. It turns out he also read it. He thought it was a great piece.

I have nothing to do w/ his buying of homes in Michigan. He's told me a little about it in the past.

Here are some things he mentioned.

Avg home sales in Detroit are currently running about $14,000. I referenced what I had seen in Trulia via you, Kaethy.

He and I had been commercial real estate brokers together years ago.

His face turned sour at the mention of Trulia and referenced how a lot of information coming out of businesses associated with the RE business often give out terrible selections of data.

Then we both ranted and vented for a while. :D

Anyways, it might be that the information coming out of Trulia is slanted and trying to paint a prettier picture than what is actually occurring.

Its still a fascinating, powerful and sad article imho

earlpearl, Sep 30, 2009 IP