1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

mysql

Discussion in 'Databases' started by justin8831, Oct 28, 2015.

is it better to create a script for making a database or is it better to just manually create the data base .. also is there a 8 table limit in MySQL when I use a script to create a database?? because I only get 8 tables ... also should I use a separate database for user information and user media like pics and videos

justin8831, Oct 28, 2015 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Creating a database should not be done via script. It shouldn't even be allowed via script. Creating the tables, however, is fine.

And no, there is no limit to the amount of tables you can create (well, there is, but it's a LOT higher than 8) - you probably have an error somewhere that exits out of the creating-loop.

And no, why would you have the info in different databases? Different tables, yes, but different databases? No reason to do that, really.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 29, 2015 IP
    th.sigit likes this.
  3. ByteChef

ByteChef Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Something is not right if there is a limit, as there is no such limit.

ByteChef, Oct 29, 2015 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    There is a limit, but that limit is based on the system MySQL is installed on, and is in the tens of thousands. I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but there is a limit to the amount of total rows and columns for tables, and also for the amount of tables - but if you ever REACH that limit, you're doing something VERY, VERY wrong.

sarahk likes this.
  5. ByteChef

ByteChef Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Never knew that, sorry for clearing up. But 8 tables is such a small number. Can a limit on number of tables be set in the config files?

A quick search gave me this:
    https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/table-size-limit.html

ByteChef, Oct 29, 2015 IP
  6. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/database-count-limit.html

Quote: "InnoDB permits up to 4 billion tables" ;)
    The restrictions are mostly due to file system limitations, more than limitations within SQL.
    However, the 8 tables he gets created is most likely due to a problem with the script, or some config-problem, for instance a time-out on running the script, not something to do with his SQL-server.

7. justin8831

justin8831 Member

Best Answers:
    I meant rows I can only make 8 rows in myphpadmin

justin8831, Nov 4, 2015 IP
  8. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    If there's only 8 rows being made (out of how many?), then you probably have an error in your populate-table-script. Could you provide the first 10-15 lines of that script, with content being put in?

PoPSiCLe, Nov 5, 2015 IP
  9. neutralhatter

neutralhatter Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    phpmyadmin does not limit the amount of rows you can create, nor does it limit the amount of tables that you can create. phpmyadmin is nothing more than a tool to easily manage your mysql database. when modifying your database via script, an IDE such as phpmyadmin will have no affect on the result. A relational database management system such as mysql may have an effect on such amounts (tables or rows) but this would be no artificial limitation that you would reach so easily. A theoretical limit may be reached but this would apply to database size and not so much on amount of records or tables.

Also, for the other part of your question, It will depend on your situation wheter you would need a script or create a db manually. For example, I manage over a Thousand remote databases and this would be painfull If I should do this manually.

Hope this helps,

neutralhatter, Nov 7, 2015 IP