DMOZ Unconfirmed PR8?

Discussion in 'Google' started by njoker555, Oct 24, 2007.

njoker555, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  2. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like it, DMZ needs to add one of my sites to the directory already!

astup1didiot, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  3. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Well, Bad days have already started on directories but never thought that bad. :-|

Google doesn't have info about DMOZ that's why its showing unconfirmed on digpagerank.

Mong, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  4. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Word.

It would be nice to finally get listed in the DMOZ. ;)

usasportstraining, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  5. njoker555

njoker555 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lol same, i need at least one site in there and i have like 20 ;)

6. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    I have THIRTY TWO and not one has been accepted yet. Alot of my sites are in top 10 SERP for 250k+ month search keywords to :(

I swear its all political there.

7. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yeah, it seems to be "who you know" or maybe even "how much you've paid".:eek:

usasportstraining, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  8. njoker555

njoker555 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lol probably - oh well, the internet is dying and its all thanks to google, they shouldnt have introduced the dam PR system in the first place lol

9. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    :mad: :mad: Very true. :mad: :mad:

10. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    The internet is no where near dying! How could you even speak that.. :eek:

11. corlock

corlock Banned

Best Answers:
    your right. people, especially those who has an idea what PR is, get obsessed and only focuses on that thing. Now, they are taking advantage of it and even use it to earn money.

corlock, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  12. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    IMO, google is doing the right thing. They are improving search results by preventing people from "paying" for links that would increase them. Next step will be combating people who sell links to alter SERPs.

13. njoker555

njoker555 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well since PR will be worthless soon, people won't make as much websites as they do these days

14. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    Oh no, you mean no more copy content, same niche, websites? What will we ever do! :D I see where you coming from, but the decline will be towards more useless sites.

15. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ deserves a punishment from Google for the way they have been behaving in the past couple of years. DMOZ has become the Ebenezer Scrooge of the dot com world.

davewashere, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  16. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    This is one of the best examples I've heard yet! :cool:

17. njoker555

njoker555 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    but its a .org lol :D and it shows up as unconfirmed anyway, i want it to go RED!!!

18. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No they're not. How is it "improving search results" when they start penalizing the most relevant sites for a search phrase just because of their advertising model (like not having a site returned in results for their own name when someone is searching for them)??? That's an injustice to their users more than anything else. If I'm searching for a specific site, it had better show up in those results, and near the top. Otherwise, Google's just showing the searching community that they're so-called "relevant" results don't exist, and they'll damage their credibility sooner rather than later. Keep in mind that not all of their users (or even most) are webmasters who understand the whole PR / paid link issue. They're just searching and wanting relevant results. If Google eventually drives that userbase away, they'll lose their marketshare in a heartbeat. They seem to forget that as quickly as they came in and took over the scene, they can lose it just the same.

jhmattern, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  19. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    Because there advertising model is being used to decieve the pagerank system and the SERPs. They aren't naturally linking to the site nor are they using the ref="nofollow" tag (which in matt cutters blog was said to use if selling links). They are accepting payment to boost that sites page rank and\or SERPs. They should get penalized for this in my eyes.

If you want to sell advertisements on your site then use the ref="nofollow" tag, if you don't reap the whirl wind. I in no way see this as a bad move, this will actually add value to PR and SERPs. This is my 2 cents and some other change.

20. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Removing relevant results, when you're the company claiming to provide relevant results and it's what you've built your search business on, is stupid. The Internet included paid links long before Pagerank. Google doesn't have the right to come in and tell sites to change their model because they made a way for them to do it, and because it benefits Google by fixing a tool they royally screwed up. Should sites who started years before that now have to go back through their sites and put nofollow on them all? No. And if Google wants to penalize them all, they'd have to go after some of the largest, most respected, commercial sites on the Web.

People don't have to change their business model to appease Google, and Google shouldn't be asking them to. At the same time, Google can run their own business how they want to, which is what they're doing. My point is that they're doing a bigger disservice to themselves than they are for the sites they're penalizing, because they're destroying one of their primary "sales" points with their userbase.

If Google doesn't like Pagerank being manipulated, they need to either

A) Get rid of Pagerank
    or
    B) Stop factoring Pagerank into search results

They created the monster with their lack of foresight. Anyone with half a brain knows if you're as large and influential as Google, and you launch any kind of ranking system, people are going to abuse it. Factoring it into results wasn't smart in the beginning (and they do, despite the naysayers - if they didn't, and PR was "just a number" to them, we wouldn't be seeing sites penalized in the SERPs because of people trying to manipulate PR, b/c they wouldn't be interdependent).They've known about the abuse / misuse (in their eyes) for quite some time. They can fix their apparent problem without making relevancy worse... they're just taking advantage of the fact that what they're doing is

A) A way to emphasize their "strong arm" over webmasters watching
    and
    B) Probably not going to be noticed by a good portion of their users anyway, so they can decrease relevancy while still convincing more naive users that they're improving it.

Lucky them. But like with any other company that gets too big for their britches, it'll come back and bite them.

jhmattern, Oct 24, 2007 IP